Thinking of using Ubuntu.
Dec 17, 2006 at 7:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

Schalldampfer

1000+ Head-Fier
Well, I have the Total BitHead, and I was wondering if Ubuntu will recognize the driver and install it.
Oh, also, what's a good Linux program to play FLAC?

Dec 17, 2006 at 8:31 AM Post #2 of 46
I'm not sure whether the Bithead will work; you might want to give Tyll and crew a call. I'm sure they'd have the answer.

As for music management under Linux, Amarok is very nice.

Dec 17, 2006 at 1:13 PM Post #3 of 46
I also use Ubuntu/Kubuntu for some time now. It recognized my Hagtech USB DAC without any problems on 6.06 (Dapper) and 6.10 (Edgy). Try downloading a Live CD, boot it up and see whether the device is supported. If it isn't, you haven't screwed up your main system and can safely return to Windows. BTW, Ubuntu allows you to output bit-perfect 44.1kHz.

UPDATE: Just checked and it seems your TotalBithead uses TI's PCMxxx converters.
I can almost guarantee they work just fine in Ubuntu!

Dec 17, 2006 at 1:32 PM Post #4 of 46
The DAC of my Corda Aria works as well with Ubuntu, simply plug-an-play.

I do like Ubuntu quite a lot, but setting up everything to your needs (especially WPA encryption for my wlan card) was quite a ride, when you have only worked with Windows before.
But you life and learn
biggrin.gif

Dec 18, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #5 of 46
Whooo! Thanks for the positive replies! I've actually had some experience with Linux, installing Gentoo, which had no GUI. Eh... if I've survived that, I think I can handle Ubuntu. Yeah, and wireless support was horrendous. I couldn't find the one single wireless driver and had to revert back to Windows.

Dec 24, 2006 at 9:23 PM Post #6 of 46
agreed on that point.

I have a dual boot up system and wanted a stable system on my other hard driveas the other one was for music production. found it an absolute pain to get drivers couldnt find any drivers that would work with wireless network or soundcard so reverted back to windows!

Dec 24, 2006 at 9:27 PM Post #7 of 46
question to ubuntu users: has anyone experienced weird beeps, static problems, and pauses/skips with amaroK? i'm using suse atm and contemplating a switch to kubunttu because of this problem whenever i'm using the harddrive or moving the amarok window.
blink.gif

Jan 4, 2007 at 6:02 AM Post #8 of 46
Well, I couldn't get Ubuntu to work comfortably, so I'm currently using PCLinuxOS. But I can't seem to get my Total BitHead to work.

Jan 4, 2007 at 9:43 AM Post #9 of 46
the reason that there are driver issues, especially broadcom chipsets for wifi cards, is because they're closed drivers. If the hacks were included in the distro, there would be a nice lawsuit. That doesn't mean it can't be done pretty easily, it's just harder than plug + play.

Jan 4, 2007 at 10:15 AM Post #10 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, also, what's a good Linux program to play FLAC?

I prefer xmms which is a Winamp clone. Amarok is a more modern player with a long list of features. Amarok is a KDE application, but will run on GNOME with the kdelibs installed. I'm also sure there are some GNOME alternatives.

Jan 4, 2007 at 12:45 PM Post #11 of 46
I'm using Amarok on (k)ubuntu and generally like it. My main issue is that I just started ripping to FLAC and Amarok has some problems with the files. I can't change position within a track and they all end a few seconds early. I believe this is actually a problem with the audio engine (Xine) as Kaffeine player does the same, but VLC is fine.

I use Linux for various reasons. Lack of DRM crap is one of them.

Jan 4, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #14 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by steevc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using Amarok on (k)ubuntu and generally like it. My main issue is that I just started ripping to FLAC and Amarok has some problems with the files. I can't change position within a track and they all end a few seconds early. I believe this is actually a problem with the audio engine (Xine) as Kaffeine player does the same, but VLC is fine.

I use Linux for various reasons. Lack of DRM crap is one of them.

I had to try Amarok when I got home and I had none of your issues. I can change position within tracks and the songs last as long as they should. I used Amarok 1.4.4/KDE 3.5.5 on OpenSuse 10.2(64bit).

I use xine as engine as well, maybe there are some settings somewhere that has gone wild?

Jan 5, 2007 at 3:13 AM Post #15 of 46
Amarok works fine on my Ubuntu installtion, as long as I do not install Xine on my computer. Once I compile or install a full blown version of Xine, its all down hill. I decided to move onto mplayer and vlc as a movie player.

If you are experiencing skips during playback with significant hard drive activity, try checking the hard drive's settings with the hdparm command. Sometimes the drives get stuck in some lower UDMA setting or PIO mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back