Thinking of UPGRADE the Benchmark DAC1 PRE
Jun 25, 2009 at 5:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

HeadLover

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi
I have changes the topic and the subject and so on

I have the DAC1 PRE, and I really love it!
I was thinking of upgrading its parts, and saw they are some guys over the world that seem to know what they are doing, and do thing like better opmaps, better PSU and so on

What do you think of it? does it really improve the sound? and is it worth the price? and can you recommend me of some guys that do this stuff?

Jun 25, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #2 of 15
Hmmm, a lot would depend on what else you need (e.g., balanced outputs; non-USB input; digital output; etc). At that level some options are:
- Cary xCiter DAC
- Bel Canto DAC3
- Ayre QB-9
- Wavelength Brick and Cosecant
- Bryston BDA-1
- Chord QBD76 (may be out of price range though)

Jun 25, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #4 of 15
How about a quality USB-to-SPDIF converter and then a DAC in $2000-2500 (the converter was about $500 IIRC). Or wait a minute--isn't the EMU 0404 USB a suitable converter and less than $200? It does output coaxial, doesn't it?

I'm suggesting this only because the need for USB will limit your choices in the high price area.

Jun 26, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #9 of 15
If your computer has Firewire, a Weiss DAC2 (aka Minerva, is the cheaper but technically identical Pro version) may be the way to go. Otherways, there are not much alternatives with 'good USB' to the one you already own.

Also, if you know how to use a soldering iron, may consider a little mod to the Benchmark (change or bypass the internal coupling caps for quality film ones), and then stay happy with it
wink.gif

Jun 26, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #12 of 15
Wow, the link shows a highly reworked unit... too overkill IMO. And I do not like to use the word 'overpriced', because this things involve usually lots of time and at each one to know the cost of its hours, but well...

My suggestion was far simpler, however the results are ear openers: change just the interstage coupling caps. Details and opinions and alternatives to be found here: diyAudio Forums - Upgrading the Benchmark DAC 1? - Page 5

Two decent capacitors cost around $30, and anybody good with the soldering iron can do it in less than 30 minutes...

Jun 26, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about a quality USB-to-SPDIF converter and then a DAC in $2000-2500 (the converter was about $500 IIRC). Or wait a minute--isn't the EMU 0404 USB a suitable converter and less than $200? It does output coaxial, doesn't it?

I'm suggesting this only because the need for USB will limit your choices in the high price area.

I'm still unable to output digital from EMU. Maybe its because I'm using Winamp, not sure but just a warning. Read some user feedback first.

Jun 26, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadLover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want something OUTSTANDING for my DAC1 PRE
smily_headphones1.gif

what do you think? when money isn't a concern and I want to bring it some levels up in the Sound Quality ?

You owe to yourself to have a loan on a hi-end source, CD player or DAC, and compare in your system with your Benchmark. If there are not suitable dealers near you, then buy were you can have 30-day money back policies or something like that.

Then, decide what to do, not before. You may find some holy grial and see the way to go, or may discover you are already there
beerchug.gif

Or almost, and then do some small mod
biggrin.gif

Regards,

Josep

Users who are viewing this thread

Back