Thinking of swapping my DAP for DAC/Amp - Thoughts?
Oct 18, 2015 at 9:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

NawiLlih

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Head-Fi,

I've been using a DAP + IEMs as my audio setup for as long as I've been interested in good sound, but recently I've hit a bit of an impasse. I love the sound of my Fiio X5, but the UI is starting to get to me, with time-consuming scrolling, no cue feature and the distinct lack of streaming or Bluetooth. To this end, I've found myself using my smartphone for audio whenever I need to use net radio or the like, and I've found that using the Poweramp interface with my Bluetooth speakers is worlds better than the FiiO interface. Unfortunately, the sound form the phone is, in turn, not a patch on the X5, though I do prefer the more fun, bass-heavier signature (I am using a Sony Xperia M4 Aqua).
To try to get the best of both worlds, I've decided to look for a DAC/AMP that will:
1) Work with a Sony-Android smartphone,
2) Be forgiving to lower-quality streams while still sounding good with FLAC,
3) Sound at least as good in terms of detail as a Fiio X5,
4) Have decent bass weight or a bass boost switch (this is more important than a gain switch for me)
5) Be slim enough to fit in a pocket with the phone in question, and finally
6) Shouldn't cost more than £300.

Do you guys think this a decent set of expectations, and do you think it's a reasonable idea to use an amp instead of a dac to benefit from the interface? Or is there another solution I don;t know about that will be better?

I have looked at the Oppo HA-2 and the Creative SoundBlatser Z5(?) so far, and both seem appealing choices.

For reference, my current (and probably eternal) IEMs are Earsonics SM64s, and my music taste is primarily Trance and classic dance/rave tunes.
P.S: I won't be totally abandoning the X5, as I plan to use it as a high-quality dac for my powered PC speakers if i replace it.

Oct 22, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #3 of 16
If the choice is between HA-2 and E5, I'll pick HA-2 for pure SQ while E5 for its SBX EQ system. HA-2 is more likely going to suit your need.

I am using a Z3+ myself, which supports USB DAC function and Hi-res out of the box, but I am not sure M4 Aqua has those features. At worst, you will need to either buy USB Audio Player Pro or Onkyo HF Player from the Playstore, but they are both worth the investment IMO.

Oct 23, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #4 of 16
  If the choice is between HA-2 and E5, I'll pick HA-2 for pure SQ while E5 for its SBX EQ system. HA-2 is more likely going to suit your need.

I am using a Z3+ myself, which supports USB DAC function and Hi-res out of the box, but I am not sure M4 Aqua has those features. At worst, you will need to either buy USB Audio Player Pro or Onkyo HF Player from the Playstore, but they are both worth the investment IMO.

The M4 is just a down-specced Z3, so if it's a software feature, I think it will support it. 
The choice isn't only between those two, they were some that I had found and liked the look of :) If there are any other models I should look at instead, I'd appreciate recommendations. The HA-2 is beautiful though, and has very good reviews, so unless something else surpasses it within budget I might just go for that :)

Oct 23, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #5 of 16
  The M4 is just a down-specced Z3, so if it's a software feature, I think it will support it. 
The choice isn't only between those two, they were some that I had found and liked the look of :) If there are any other models I should look at instead, I'd appreciate recommendations. The HA-2 is beautiful though, and has very good reviews, so unless something else surpasses it within budget I might just go for that :)

It really depends on whether Sony has built the native Hi-res USB DAC driver into the M4 or not. Given Sony doesn't advertise it, I think the chance is slim. But as I have said, even without the native driver, there are third party apps that will works as well.

Oct 23, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #6 of 16

It really depends on whether Sony has built the native Hi-res USB DAC driver into the M4 or not. Given Sony doesn't advertise it, I think the chance is slim. But as I have said, even without the native driver, there are third party apps that will works as well.

Given that I use nothing higher than CDQ FLAC or WAV, will i actually need a hi-res driver? Or is this just the driver for the dac/amp? Sorry if this is a n00b question but I know next to nothing about DACs...

Oct 23, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #7 of 16
  Given that I use nothing higher than CDQ FLAC or WAV, will i actually need a hi-res driver? Or is this just the driver for the dac/amp? Sorry if this is a n00b question but I know next to nothing about DACs...

You don't need the hi-res part, but it is build into the Sony's USB DAC driver as a whole (meaning you are getting both or you are getting none). Stock Android doesn't actually have a particularly good USB DAC driver (if it has it at all), which means there is a chance the smartphone won't detect the USB DAC when you plug in it. That tends to be the case on cheaper, more budget oriented Android smartphone. In those case, you need third party apps to detect the USB DAC you are going to use.

Oct 23, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #8 of 16

You don't need the hi-res part, but it is build into the Sony's USB DAC driver as a whole (meaning you are getting both or you are getting none). Stock Android doesn't actually have a particularly good USB DAC driver (if it has it at all), which means there is a chance the smartphone won't detect the USB DAC when you plug in it. That tends to be the case on cheaper, more budget oriented Android smartphone. In those case, you need third party apps to detect the USB DAC you are going to use.

Okay, thanks for the clarification :)

Back to hardware, Is the general consensus around Head-Fi still that the HA-2 is best-in-class? 

Oct 23, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #9 of 16
Does the second gen X5 have a DAC? Also Hidizs AP100, I'm 99% sure it has DAC facility. I'm looking to make sure.  It was a FW update iI think, so most reviews are irrelevent. Someone else may verify that, sorry I can't be of more help at the moment.  Lastly for bass, the AP100 had an equalizer as have Fiios, consider using these, [ I believe it is best to lower all frequencies, other than the lowest one, to increase bass, so less muddying ]

Oct 23, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #10 of 16
  Does the second gen X5 have a DAC? Also Hidizs AP100, I'm 99% sure it has DAC facility. I'm looking to make sure.  It was a FW update iI think, so most reviews are irrelevent. Someone else may verify that, sorry I can't be of more help at the moment.  Lastly for bass, the AP100 had an equalizer as have Fiios, consider using these, [ I believe it is best to lower all frequencies, other than the lowest one ]

AP100 is a DAP without android, so it doesn't really fit what I'm looking for. The EQ on the Fiio X5 is basically useless, it really doesn't do what i want it to. I'll be using my X5 to DAC for my PC, I'm looking for an amp with a different sig for my portable rig.

Oct 30, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #13 of 16
android compatible dac/amps with bass boost switches that come to mind are

headstage arrow 5TX
microshar g3
cmoyBB
JDS labs C5D
Fiio E17K and Q1

but keep in mind you will get RFI and EMI if you strap any of these to your phone and don't set it to airplane mode

Oct 31, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #14 of 16
android compatible dac/amps with bass boost switches that come to mind are

headstage arrow 5TX
microshar g3
cmoyBB
JDS labs C5D
Fiio E17K and Q1

but keep in mind you will get RFI and EMI if you strap any of these to your phone and don't set it to airplane mode

I had seen the Microshar G3 already as well and it looked quite appealing. However, if it suffers from EMI I think I'd have a lot of trouble using it :/

I may well be streaming over data in the future, so no EMI is another essential that I should have put in the OP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back