Thinking of returning my AH-D2000's.
Jan 1, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #31 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by nonsupremous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't see this bass flaw in my D2000. But the ONLY source I ever listen to them on is my home Harmon Kardan system. It's amped quite well and with Dolby Headphone they really shine. I think the highs are perfect (for me anyway) But I do agree with the mids. Over the past 2 and a half years it's been my only complaint with them. Well other than the cable.
dt880smile.png

If you are looking for a headphone that's going to sound like a subwoofer was stuffed inside your earcup....buy the Ultrasone Edition 8.

I also feel that the Edition 8's bass is on the flabby and overwhelming side but the bass is much faster than the D2000's and doesn't nearly linger as long.

As for Dolby Headphone, I think that it's great for movies and games but not so much for music as it makes everything sound very hollow. Moreover, details and clarity are smeared and overall experience compromised.

Jan 1, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #32 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In what way is your Eddie Current ECSS not a good match with the D2000? And why is the Gilmore Lite a better match? I've never heard either amp or know what their general sound signatures are.

The EC/SS is a relatively dark amp that borders on "tubey". I noticed that the Denons sounded a bit dull on this with overpowered low-end response. Not the best match for an already boomy can. The Gilmore Lite makes 'em sparkle and tightens up the bass a bit, whilst bringing forward the mid's a bit, as best I recall.

Jan 1, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #33 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The EC/SS is a relatively dark amp that borders on "tubey". I noticed that the Denons sounded a bit dull on this with overpowered low-end response. Not the best match for an already boomy can. The Gilmore Lite makes 'em sparkle and tightens up the bass a bit, whilst bringing forward the mid's a bit, as best I recall.

Interesting. There are some who would likely like the Eddie Current ECSS sound for the Denon. When I heard the HifFiMan EF2 with the D2000 I had the same reaction. Dull and too tubey. But the EF2 is a popular recommendation for the D2000 and I see why people like it, but ultimately it is not for me. Just goes to show that popular amps or headphones or amp/headphone pairings here on head-fi may not be the right fit for others depending on their personal sonic preferences.

Jan 1, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #34 of 52
I don't get people listening to D2000 unamped. I tried that through my iphone 3G headphone out, they absolutely suck, no bass punch whatsoever. Oh and if you're getting portable amps for it, give a pass for mustang, it distorts at medium-high volumes for D2000.

Jan 1, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #36 of 52
Well a remarkable thing has happened over the past 24hours, either a result of physical or mental burn-in (i'm leaning with the latter) but I'm really starting to enjoy these headphones. Strangely, once i was set on retuning them i stopped worrying about comparisons to my other HP and trying to listen out for silly little things like sibilance etc and just enjoy the music. Looks like i'll be keeping them after all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want to get an idea of what a better amp can do with the D2000 try taking your D2000 around to different home CD players that have a headphone out and some home receivers that have a headphone out.

Heh, that was one of the first things I did when I got them. My current sound card doesn't actually fair too bad - tried them on a Onkyo amp (hooked upto PS3) and a couple DAP's around the house and the X-FI had the widest soundstage and 'cleanest' sound (as opposed to the muddy mess that was my iphone. Which was surprising as the difference in SQ in far less noticeable on the 1001's, but being portable i suppose they need less current?)

But anyways, i may just hold off on purchasing an amp for the time being as i'm actually quite happy how sound out of my PC. Although i can imagine, like most other people on these forums - i've got a habit of buying new gadgets and tech so no doubt i'll probably will end up getting one a few months down the line! (i actually have my eye on the Pico or EF-1)

Btw just like to add it's a shame these forums have to 'thanks' button or rep system since all of your posts have been really informative and helpful especially to someone who is new here
smile.gif

Jan 2, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #38 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by skidu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although i can imagine, like most other people on these forums - i've got a habit of buying new gadgets and tech so no doubt i'll probably will end up getting one a few months down the line! (i actually have my eye on the Pico or EF-1):

Well son, I don't know how to say this but, I am afraid you may have contracted a case of Upgraditis. There is good news and bad news...The bad news is that there in no known cure, and for all we know, it's terminal. The good news? We are here to help...

Jan 2, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #40 of 52
I think the D5000 supposed to be a tiny warmer than the D2000, but I never heard the D2000 so that's only from rumours. anyway..I have the D5000 and never found them lacking in the bass department...even the opposite, and this is a hardcore basshead you are talking here
biggrin.gif

anyway,you got to amp them somehow...even a nice portable amp will do,but they have to be amped one way or the other to get to their full potential. you will possibly get more punch and power in the low regions too. PC or any other portable device only is not enough. even if you think you enjoy them right now,you simply don't know what you are missing.

EDIT: glad you like them in the end. I looove my D5000 so much, and also their mids.

Jan 2, 2010 at 10:46 AM Post #42 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by chintimin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The d5000 is the same driver as the d2000 with most of the same casing, a better cord, and a cosmetic facelift on the cups.

I think the better cord and the wooden cups are big improvements over the D2000 and bennefits a lot to the sound. the wood is probably the main reason why the D5000 sound warmer and less farward.

Jan 2, 2010 at 12:02 PM Post #44 of 52
I'm looking that up, and not getting straight answers. Seeing some people reporting machined mahogany, and other people reporting mahogany pieces on top of a magnesium/aluminum casing

Jan 2, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #45 of 52
wait, what? Gah! too much info. So, I'm seeing machined mahogany cups, great - and someone's saying the d5000 and d2000 now use the same cord? Is that an upgrade on the d2000 or a downgrade on the 5000?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back