Thinking of returning my AH-D2000's.
Dec 31, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #16 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by sling5s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found the D7000 an all around improvement , but still found the mids on the D7000 too recessed for me.

Same here which IMO goes for the LA7000 also, but they offer an improvement over the D2000 nevertheless.

Dec 31, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #18 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmonaut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is there a way to get rid of/reduce the sibilance? i love everything else about the headphones, but that's the only bad thing.

EQ down.

Dec 31, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #19 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by sling5s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe the grado sr225i is more around the price range of the ah-d2000.
For me, I tried several and chose a used pair of grado rs1.

Yes, indeed. I am a fan of my SR-225i's, for sure. One day I'm sure I'll get a pair of RS-1(i)'s. And most certainly I will likely get a pair of HF-2's again. I had to sell mine "temporarily" to meet ends. (Likely will have to do the same with my SR-225i's as well.) Too bad. They are both AWESOME Grados.

Dec 31, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #20 of 52
I can't remember who posted this (was in a Denon thread couple days ago) , but spending the past few hours listening to a wide variety of music the bass quality is most definately recording-dependent. Since all my other phones are fairly warm and bass heavy they're most likely overcompensating for the bass where as it seems the Denon's are actually resolving it properly.

Therefore when think they're should be low bass in certain tracks, as a matter of fact it actually shouldn't. Which i guess is my own problem to deal with, it's not like i can blame the headphones for doing their job properly is it. :p

I also downloaded some Diana Krall earlier on (never heard of her before in my life, until someone mentioned her in a HD595 thread) not sure if it's the music or the headphones, but everything just sounded perfect - huge sound stage, lovely warm bass and detailed percussion, probably the most fun I've had with the Denon's since owning them. Then i started listening to some OST (Clint Mansell, Thomas Newman, Yann Tiersen) and it's like a completely different headphone - tons of low bass (maybe even too much!) which i didn't even realize this headphone could reproduce.

Now I'm just even more confused...it seems most of my "bassy" music is just really badly recorded. EQ'ing it fixes the issue some-what but it's a pain to keep on switching back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like you want a different kind of sound than the D2000 gives. Maybe one of the Ultrasone flavors?

I was strongly considering the HFI-780, but could imagine them sounding like my 1001's but harsh highs. Also after hearing the soundstage on the 2k's, i wouldn't want to go any smaller. Just out of interest, whats the bass on the HD600's like compared to the Denons? I assume the Sens have a more smooth, darker sound, or is that the HD650?

In an ideal world i would love a full sized pair of IE8's.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #21 of 52
Yeah, I think Diana Krall live sounds amazing with the D2000's - shiver good. I think you have touched on a good point that applies to all HP's not just the Denons. That is, not only the quality of the source, bitrate, equipment, etc. but also the quality/mastering of the recording itself. You can get some pretty crazy variations/differences. Keeping that in mind, as you mentioned, and using an amp at some point, and some additional head time you can draw a more comprehensive determination. I am sure you can unload them on th FS thread with out issue if you find they truly aren't for you.

Dec 31, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #23 of 52
Looks like you just discovered what it is about the D2000 sound that can be sooo good. That's why people like them. When they're good they can be oh so good. It is recording dependent though. Some recordings and some styles of music just don't agree with them. That's the case with most any headphone (or speaker) that has color, and the midrange character and the recessed midrange is color. When the music doesn't happen to agree with the color of a particular colored headphone it is not going to sound good. When the music agrees with the color then you get something special.

A proper amp will tighten the bass and let the bass appear to go deeper. You'll get some better control of the driver which improves the bass. A proper amp will also give the music a little more punch and dynamics. A proper amp will also expand the soundstage so the sound will seem to be slightly further from the ears and with more space.

If you want to get an idea of what a better amp can do with the D2000 try taking your D2000 around to different home CD players that have a headphone out and some home receivers that have a headphone out. Some of those can drive the D2000 nicely (and some won't so if it doesn't sound noticeably better than straight out of your iPod you've got a bad match). When you find a good one compare it to your iPod. You'll hear the improvement in bass control and soundstage. If the headphone amp section happens to be a particularly good match you'll also get a smoothing of the highs, less harshness, and less sibilance. That will give you an idea of what to expect from a proper dedicated headphone amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was strongly considering the HFI-780, but could imagine them sounding like my 1001's but harsh highs. Also after hearing the soundstage on the 2k's, i wouldn't want to go any smaller. Just out of interest, whats the bass on the HD600's like compared to the Denons? I assume the Sens have a more smooth, darker sound, or is that the HD650?

In an ideal world i would love a full sized pair of IE8's.
smily_headphones1.gif

The D2000 bass goes deeper and is fuller and fills out the music better. The D2000 also has more punch in the kick drum. The HD600 is rather light and polite in its treatment of the kick drum.

The HD600 bass is tighter which lets you hear more detail in the bass. For example you can better hear how a jazz bass guitar player is plucking the strings.

The D2000 is a bit slow. It is slow to decay and a little slow on the attack. Bass notes linger longer than they should and that extra lingering smears the details for the attack of a note and other details in the bass. As a result the HD600 bass is faster and more detailed in comparison. The dampening mods for the D2000 attempt to fix some of that slow decay in the D2000.

Ultimately I find the D2000 more satisfying. I'll use the HD600 at times when I want to focus on the bass technique of a player. But then I'll go back to the D2000 for the fun factor.

The D2000 goes noticeably deeper than the HD600 and that can be noticed in some pipe organ pieces that make use of a 32 foot pipe. The D2000 will play notes that the HD600 just doesn't know are there. Bela Fleck's "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo" just tickles with the D2000. It's a good listen with the HD600, but not the same.

And yes, I may be a bass head.
L3000.gif

Dec 31, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #24 of 52
I can't get alomg with the denon's at all....I have heard a few things that really sounde good on them. I don't think it's possible to make a set of cans for every ear. I much prefer the discussions on these cans though, thay aren't FOTM so, it's not usually a heated thing. And at this price range, I find people more often in the end draw their own conclusions, rather than being as easily influenced by the sub 100 dollar range. Amping is a must, but for my ears, any neutral amp does them fine. They are not a tough load, and even a decent portable will drive them fine. (in my opinion)

Dec 31, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #25 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need to find the right amp for them. Some amps just don't do them justice.

The Gilmore Lite is absolutely perfect with the D2000. I suppose bright amps with good mids work well with darker 'phones like the D2000. The EC/SS (currently up for sale
frown.gif
), not so much.

Jan 1, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #26 of 52
I found the D2000 unbearably bright. Can't understand why so few people comment on this.

Incidentally, is the D7000 really that much less bright? The D5000 is said to be brighter than the D2000.

Jan 1, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #27 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Gilmore Lite is absolutely perfect with the D2000. I suppose bright amps with good mids work well with darker 'phones like the D2000. The EC/SS (currently up for sale
frown.gif
), not so much.

In what way is your Eddie Current ECSS not a good match with the D2000? And why is the Gilmore Lite a better match? I've never heard either amp or know what their general sound signatures are.

Jan 1, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #28 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by the search never ends /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't get alomg with the denon's at all....I have heard a few things that really sounde good on them. I don't think it's possible to make a set of cans for every ear. I much prefer the discussions on these cans though, thay aren't FOTM so, it's not usually a heated thing. And at this price range, I find people more often in the end draw their own conclusions, rather than being as easily influenced by the sub 100 dollar range. Amping is a must, but for my ears, any neutral amp does them fine. They are not a tough load, and even a decent portable will drive them fine. (in my opinion)

The D2000 is a headphone that I can completely understand why some people don't like them. The D2000 has some faults in its sound, and those faults can be significant depending on what you listen to and how you listen. There are times that I apologize to myself because I know the D2000 is playing the timbre of a particular instrument wrong, but dammit I like how it sounds. If you weren't as accommodating as me that timbral imbalance could drive you nuts. And there are some genres, like metal, where I don't feel that the D2000 is a good fit at all. But when the D2000 is right for me it is oh so right.

Jan 1, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #29 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm in the OP's camp here. IMO, the D2000 has flabby bass and overwhelming at times. The mids is most definitely recessed while the sibilance is amongst the worse I've experienced from a headphone. The D7000 fixes or improves on most of these flaws.

i don't see this bass flaw in my D2000. But the ONLY source I ever listen to them on is my home Harmon Kardan system. It's amped quite well and with Dolby Headphone they really shine. I think the highs are perfect (for me anyway) But I do agree with the mids. Over the past 2 and a half years it's been my only complaint with them. Well other than the cable.
dt880smile.png

If you are looking for a headphone that's going to sound like a subwoofer was stuffed inside your earcup....buy the Ultrasone Edition 8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back