Thinking of moving to Toronto....advice needed
Jun 3, 2007 at 6:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

kin0kin

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm currently located in Halifax, and contemplating moving to TO in the next 2 months. I've been to the city twice but most of the time we were at downtown, and once in Scarborough. I'd like to move to a place where it is really peaceful and quiet, preferably no where near free way/busy streets. I have a dog, if anybody knows of any apartment that allows dog, that'd be fantastic. Please advice, time is running out

Jun 3, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #2 of 18
How big's your dog? Do you have to live right in Toronto, or could you live in the suburbs or a smaller bedroom community outside of Toronto? If so, how far out would you be willing to go?

You'll find that housing is more expensive here than in Halifax. Do you want to be in a high-rise apartment? Generally, nice, quite neighbourhoods away from the freeways/busy streets are more expensive.

Will you be working here? If so, where? Do you need access to public transportation?

Knowing these things would help narrow down some areas for you. Toronto is a big place.

Jun 3, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #4 of 18
First of all, I don't have a car nor can I drive just yet...so commuting is my only choice.

I'm currently seeking for jobs in TO. I can stay anywhere near York/Scarborough/any close to TO surburb as long as I can commute to work...hopefully commuting doesnt take more than 40 mins....

As far as apartment is concerned, high rise is good, but generally I like to live in apartment where walls in between the neighbours is partitioned with bricks..not jsut boards. So far I have only found several high rise apartment in Halifax that actually has brick walls between the apartments. Boards between rooms within an apartment is fine.

As far as rental goes, I'm paying around 1K CAD all-in, for a high rise over here near downtown. It's a 1 bedroom apartment. I'd like to stay in apartment of similar quality. It is not executive apartment/condo or anything, but it's pretty decent. I've been moving alot in the past few years just to find a good apartment. Hhow likely am I to find an apartment in TO that would do monthly lease? Most apartment seems to do only 1 year for the first year..

Yeah I'll take a look at missisauga...I'm just done applying for jobs in BC (gf doesnt really like BC all that much) currently applying to work in TO, then I'd start checking the surrounding cities around TO that's about 1 hour radius.

I'm fully flexible, so advice away!

oh btw....my dog is a mid size dog, about 14 lbs, 2 ft long, 1.5ft tall.

Jun 3, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hopefully commuting doesnt take more than 40 mins....

Good luck with that. The only way you'll have a commute under 40 minutes in Toronto is if both your apartment and your place of work are within 10 minutes walking distance of TTC stations. 50-90 minutes each way is a more realistic estimate of commute time for Toronto.

Jun 3, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
50-90 minutes each way is a more realistic estimate of commute time for Toronto.

That's not necessarily true at all. For $1000 a month you could get a 2 bedroom apartment in Pickering which is on the most travelled GO Transit line. If his work hours are typical of rush hour and provided his job is in the core, an express train will get you to Toronto in 25 minutes plus whatever travel once in the city.

The main problem with living in the suburbs is the transit cost. $1000 will get you a decent apartment just outside the city, but transit alone will run you about $200 plus $100 if a TTC metropass is needed.

If you don't necessarily need suburbs, you may want to look at areas near the downtown core, like East York in the beaches or Danforth & Queen corridors. Rent is cheaper than downtown, but more expensive than the 'burbs... BUT you can spend $100 on the TTC pass and it gets you full access to the city anywhere and anytime you want.

I'm a little further east than I'd like to be, but look at apartments or houses between St. Clair & Kingston Road (North>South) and Woodbine & Chester (East>West). Lots of parks, close to the beach and very close to great markets, restaurants and pubs. Half hour to downtown!

Anyway, just one suggestion. Good luck!

Jun 3, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's not necessarily true at all. For $1000 a month you could get a 2 bedroom apartment in Pickering which is on the most travelled GO Transit line. If his work hours are typical of rush hour and provided his job is in the core, an express train will get you to Toronto in 25 minutes plus whatever travel once in the city.

How is that different from what I was talking about? If he lives 10 minutes from the GO station in Pickering, takes the train in, then has to walk 10 minutes to work, that's a 45 minute commute.

In reality, almost no one lives 10 minutes (including jockeying for parking at the huge lot) from the GO station in Pickering, and once you get into town, it's more common to have to transfer to the TTC or bus (or walk some distance) to get to work.

I've lived in TO, and based on that experience, I'd be *very* surprised if more than a small minority of people have less than a 40 minute commute. I lived very close to one of the TTC stations (about a 10 minute walk), but then I had to walk down Queen street 20 minutes after I got off the TTC (either that or wait for the bus) to get to work. Add in 20 minutes waiting for and taking the train, and it was roughly a 50 minute commute. It's hard to have a much faster commute than that in Toronto. Anyone living outside the main part of the city (in any of the burbs, North York, Pickering, etc.) is realistically looking at a 60+ minute commute.

Jun 3, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #9 of 18
I live in North York, thankfully I can bike to work in about 20 minutes, takes about 15 to drive there. It's still busy, but as long as I avoid the DVP (I hate that road) it's not too bad.

Jun 3, 2007 at 11:37 PM Post #10 of 18
I might be wrong, but as far as I know, most half decent apartment buildings start off with a one year lease. You might get lucky and find a sublet for a shorter term. Once the first year is up, as long as you don't sign a new optional lease, it becomes monthly. AFAIK, although many rentals specify "no pets", even if they do, you cannot be evicted for having a cat/dog as long as it's not bothering the neighbours by barking excessively or disturbing them in some other way.

Your commute time really depends on how far you live from work so it would obviously be preferable that you know where you'll be working before you sign a lease somewhere. If it's a matter of moving here first, then finding a job, you might consider staying in a small suburban motel by the week/month or moving into a less-desirable place that will let you stay month to month.

Jun 4, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #11 of 18
Indeed that most apartment signs a 1 year lease for the first year and allows you to change the lease to monthly after the first year, I was just wondering if it is easy to find monthly lease apartment in TO, i guess probably not.

With my limited experience in TO, I'd think somewhere around University of York (maybe a little deeper in...around korea town)...or somewhere around the science centre would be the farthest I'd want to stay away from downtown.

I'd also considering temporarily stay in YMCA and keep my stuff in self storage until I find a place I'd want to live in. Unless someone knows of a good apartment that I wouldnt regret staying around TO that wouldnt cost over 1.2k a month for a 1 bedroom, everything included (heat + electricity)
biggrin.gif

I''d be weighing my options and all the suggestions here carefully this week.

Jun 4, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #12 of 18
The High Park area on the west side of Toronto sounds good for you. Theres plenty of apartments that allow dogs, theres the beautiful high park right there, and the subway is very, very close to those apartments, maybe 20-25 minutes to get downtown. It's a pretty quiet area, but the places to live can be quite pricey.

Jun 4, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #13 of 18
Did a little search on High Park Village apartment...yeah looks pretty good...the deluxe 1 bedorom runs around 1.2k....with the way I use electricity....probably 1.3k per month..hmmm. Is it common to find apartment in TO that includes power too?

Jun 4, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I live in North York, thankfully I can bike to work in about 20 minutes, takes about 15 to drive there. It's still busy, but as long as I avoid the DVP (I hate that road) it's not too bad.

that, my friend is a fast bicycle ride! i want to see your bicycle and your calves... too bad i cannot make the toronto meet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back