Thinking of moving out of the US. Insight?
Mar 5, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #61 of 99
Don't leave!!!!! You'll miss out on all the good CONUS deals in the FS section!!
atsmile.gif

Well seriously, the economy in the US is affecting other local economies as well. So its basically the same everywhere else.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #62 of 99
If you're young and still in school, do everything you can to get into medical school. This will also have the bonus of making you able to easily move from place to place in the world during your career, which meets your goals.

Mar 5, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #63 of 99
You people are talking about how we are all basically ****ed because (almost) no jobs are safe and the worlds economy is going downhill. Then why does it feel like I am the only one worrying in here?

Mar 5, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #64 of 99
Come to Scotland!
tongue.gif
No, seriously, don't. Well, the mountains and scenery are beautiful. Worth a visit. Meh, just let this whole economic crisis thing blow over - everything does.

Mar 6, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #65 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You people are talking about how we are all basically ****ed because (almost) no jobs are safe and the worlds economy is going downhill. Then why does it feel like I am the only one worrying in here?

You are NOT alone! I am right there with you semi-freaked out even when I have a job lined up....who knows if it will be there when I am done with school
frown.gif

I think the most important thing I can do right now is to get good grades...nothing else matters really... I didn't work that hard in UG in the first few years and missed a lot of opportunities cuz of the GPA cut-off...got screened out! wasn't even given a chance to interview (e.g. Google, JPL, Apple, etc). Just remember all your 'practical street smart/skills' are worthless if the employer won't even give you a chance to interview.

Mar 6, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #66 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A paramedic/EMT cannot be outsourced. Neither can welders, pipefitters, plumbers, electricians, and so on. If something like that appeals to you, go learn the trade. You may never need it, but those skills might mean the difference between government assistance and a nice life. Don't look down on blue collar work, either. Digging ditches and picking fruit might not have much status, but a plumber or auto mechanic has years of training and skill. There's nothing dishonorable about it. And you can't send your car to India to get fixed, can you?

True about the EMTs, but everything else can be done by illegals (mexicans) for super cheap. Hence a real problem. Nobody wants to do trades because mexicans will come in and work for $12 an hour with no benefits.

Mar 6, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #67 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True about the EMTs, but everything else can be done by illegals (mexicans) for super cheap. Hence a real problem. Nobody wants to do trades because mexicans will come in and work for $12 an hour with no benefits.

It's not just Mexicans,there are Filipinos ,there is an over influx of them in all major ,and small cities.

Mar 6, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #68 of 99
Whatever. Same difference. People who can't speak English, are here illegally, work for ****, which drives down the wages of everyone.

Mar 6, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #69 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just stay here. As long as most of the people in the U.S are employed I think we're OK.
Some countries are far worse off.

Like who? Just wondering.
Japan isnt doing too great, but their exports havnt died atm. America is doing pretty badly with the recession to be honest, as to be expected at the epicentre.
Australia is doing pretty good at the moment in the scheme of things but could really die in the arse if other countries stop importing our stuff (beef, what-have-you) since out mining industry is slowing down after a boom.
@ OP. I think its too early to make a decision unless you are planning to move to china. I don't think anything is going to stop china any time soon... If you dont mind me asking, what occupation do you have? Some careers are better off than others in a recession. Canada might be an easy option if you want to get out ASAP. I'd not worry about getting far away yet, especially since headphones will cost more in a lot of places.
edit: i'm not particularly concerned atm. Since TMK australia isnt in recession yet (although it might be pending reviews of previous quarter later today IIRC), but even then atm its only small IMO no matter what the news wants you to believe. A small recession is perfectly normal - we had one in 2003 iirc and no one gave a crap, but now that america is having a rather large contraction everyone is concerned.
What scares me is the world being painted red by the chinese govt

Mar 6, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #70 of 99
m0ofassa, If you didn't read my post on page two I expressed that there are other stronger reasons for me to work in another place. I still feel strongly about that despite the direction this thread has started to take.

Where in Australia are you at? Do you like it there? Is it beautiful?

Mar 6, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #71 of 99
if you think the US is going to have troubles, just watch the rest-of-world....

as the US does, so does the world. eventually.

you can't run away from this.

but changing locations is useful and should be done at least once in your life (I grew up in the US northeast and moved to calif to get a 'big change'. well worth it!)

Mar 6, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #72 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
m0ofassa, If you didn't read my post on page two I expressed that there are other stronger reasons for me to work in another place. I still feel strongly about that despite the direction this thread has started to take.

Where in Australia are you at? Do you like it there? Is it beautiful?

I'm in western australia and no, it is not beautiful. Australia is pretty ugly. We have a large number of unique species across the coast (one of the highest in the world iirc). The beaches are very nice. If you're thinking about living in australia a warning is that its VERY hot and if you want a nice looking area (mostly over east) you'll probably end up with less friendly people. People in WA are 'nicer' than other states in australia (having lived in most of them) but our scenery/buildigns are among some of the most ugly. I guess the bush is sort of interesting to foreigners, but its not pretty. As a plus headphonic is in WA, but yeah gear is $ here comapred to overseas.
I was thinking about going to the US when i was still playing music, how is life over there? I know a few americans I cant stand, but some are quite friendly. Yes I like it.
Next on my list is probably japan, but its hard to plan for a career that branches over to another country since I cant really play music anymore (unless I go into pop/electro). I have a soft spot for asians of the korean and japanese variety..

Mar 6, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #73 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverShadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly. If there is a problem in U.S. economy, it'll be a global one in no time. Wheter everyone likes it or not, U.S. has the most influence on world economy. Heck, sometimes I feel someone in Washington hasn't realized the economical responsibility they have. Or could reviving the U.S. economy fast enough have saved everyone else from the depression? Not sure. Maybe...

That's a load of bollocks, it is a major and 'important' economy, but I can't see how one could possibly argue it is the most important in the world (for worldwide stability). The problems started in the US, and the US sold on those problems to others (i'm not getting political here, look at the property issues that have surounded America recently). That and some extremely gready people have ruined it for the rest of us.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopstretch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would think that if there was ever a boom time for crisis managers, it would be roughly right now.

Seriously, the whole world is in the soup along with the U.S. and there isn't really anywhere to run. Although there might be at least some merit in seeking a locale where the dispossessed and angry mobs would generally be more lightly armed.
smile.gif

I'd have to say the one of the most stable jobs right now would have to be a debt collector. Thankfully where I Live what I am studying is in high demand still (as there simply are not enough people studying it or are qualified).

Mar 6, 2009 at 7:26 AM Post #74 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a load of bollocks, it is a major and 'important' economy, but I can't see how one could possibly argue it is the most important in the world (for worldwide stability). The problems started in the US, and the US sold on those problems to others (i'm not getting political here, look at the property issues that have surounded America recently). That and some extremely gready people have ruined it for the rest of us.

If the US economy isn't the most important in the world, then who's is? I don't think you're going to be able to find a satisfactory answer to that one. The US is by far the largest economy in the world at about the size of the next four countries combined. And as far as influence goes, the current economic troubles of economies #2 and #4 by size (Japan and China) are directly traceable to the slowdown in US consumer spending. The America skid, Chinese halt, and Japanese collapse have also had rather nasty effects on energy prices with far reaching consequences on the economic and political stability of many energy exporters...

In any case, Europe didn't need the US to slide into it's current economic issues. European financial institutions were just as overleveraged as US institutions and started disintegrating soon after their US counterparts did. The collapse of major US institutions may have been the initiator, but it's not like the Europeans weren't sitting on their powder kegs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by m0ofassa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Japan isnt doing too great, but their exports havnt died atm. America is doing pretty badly with the recession to be honest, as to be expected at the epicentre.

Japan is actually doing far worse than America is. Their economy was marginal the 2008 collapse, now it's much worse.

As far as numbers go, America and the Euro zone fell ~ 6%, Germany fell ~ 8%, and Japan fell ~ 12%, and South Korea fell ~ 20% in 08Q4.

Mar 6, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #75 of 99
One thing to consider is that unlike most countries, America has a lot of farmland, so I doubt we'll ever starve to death here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back