Thinking of getting Sennheiser HD800's... is an Apogee Duet 2 good enough?
Nov 1, 2012 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Vel

Head-Fier
Title says it all, I'm wanting to get a pair of Sennheiser HD800's and I currently have an Apogee Duet2 hooked up to my Mac Pro as the source for my HD650's. Previously I have owned a Lehmann Rhinelander headphone amplifier which I used in conjunction with my current setup and only noticed a very subtle difference from using the amplifier in the Duet, not enough to warrant the extra cost, so I sold the Rhinelander.

People often say it takes a lot to drive the HD800's so I would like to ask whether the Duet2 is good enough, and if not then why? Please be technical if possible, what precisely about the Duet2 isn't good enough?

Thanks in advance guys :)

Nov 2, 2012 at 6:08 AM Post #2 of 3
Hi Vel,
You would find the Rhinelander way underpowered for the HD800's, I found that a 3 o'clock setting on the Rhinelander was equal to an 11 o'clock position ona Rega Ear so suppose  the Duet would be similar to Rhinelander as you suggst, IMHO  this is way underpowered for the 800's
Try Schiit or similar.
Paula

Nov 2, 2012 at 7:48 AM Post #3 of 3
Paula, the volume position on an amp isn't related to the amount of power it has, only the gain setting. The main issue with HD-800s is that they don't sound great with a lot of gear. I'd say that is both possible to do far better than the Duet 2 as both a source and amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back