Thinking of getting custom molds for Universal IEMs
Mar 14, 2014 at 3:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Nicholas B

New Head-Fier
Hello All:

I just got a pair of Westone pro 30s, and have been considering getting custom molds done.  There is friendly audiologist around the corner from where I work who has offered to make impressions for a very reasonable price.

Is there any conventional wisdom regarding doing this?  I read in the Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones, "~~custom molded tips can also be ordered to fit universal IEMs (IEMs that are designed to use soft plastic or foam tips)."

I wish I could swing true customs, but I can't.  Just wondering if doing custom molds would increase sound quality over foam, and whether there is a downside.

Thank you very much.

Nick

Mar 15, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #2 of 13
  Hello All:

I just got a pair of Westone pro 30s, and have been considering getting custom molds done.  There is friendly audiologist around the corner from where I work who has offered to make impressions for a very reasonable price.

Is there any conventional wisdom regarding doing this?  I read in the Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones, "~~custom molded tips can also be ordered to fit universal IEMs (IEMs that are designed to use soft plastic or foam tips)."

I wish I could swing true customs, but I can't.  Just wondering if doing custom molds would increase sound quality over foam, and whether there is a downside.

Thank you very much.

Nick

Nothing?

Mar 16, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #3 of 13
With custom molds you'll get the best sound quality, comfort and isolation. If it'll be a drastic increase in sound quality will depend on how well the regular tips fit in your ear. You should do it, the comfort and isolation is worth it.

Mar 16, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #4 of 13
  Hello All:

Thank you very much.

Nick

Westone themselves offer a dedicated custom tip for their universal range called the um56.  Whether it'll fit the new pro line you'd have to email/call to find out.  Downsides are that you could need to send them back for a refit at least once.

Mar 17, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #5 of 13
  With custom molds you'll get the best sound quality, comfort and isolation. If it'll be a drastic increase in sound quality will depend on how well the regular tips fit in your ear. You should do it, the comfort and isolation is worth it.

Thanks Korki.  I am off to see my friendly neighborhood audiologist this morning.  There seems to be no real downside.

Nick

Mar 17, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #6 of 13

Westone themselves offer a dedicated custom tip for their universal range called the um56.  Whether it'll fit the new pro line you'd have to email/call to find out.  Downsides are that you could need to send them back for a refit at least once.

Hi David:

The other downside is the $160 price tag. Yikes!  I am hoping for something more reasonable by having ear molds done in my town.  I'll post my experience.  Thanks for responding.

Nick

Mar 17, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #7 of 13
InEarz (Fisher Hearing Technology) does remolds for $90. They have gotten very good reviews for the product and customer service. There is a lengthy thread on them here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/464570/inearz-fisher-hearing-custom-remold-owners-thread

Mar 17, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #9 of 13
InEarz (Fisher Hearing Technology) does remolds for $90. They have gotten very good reviews for the product and customer service. There is a lengthy thread on them here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/464570/inearz-fisher-hearing-custom-remold-owners-thread

I just checked their website, and their new price for re-molds is $150.  So quite a bit up from $90.  And on par with the Westone MU56.  I guess one pays a premium when you want to run with the big dogs. I am waiting for a call back with a price from my friendly neighborhood audiologist.  Perhaps that will be more reasonable.

Nick

Mar 17, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #10 of 13
It is $150 for remolding a custom IEM (making a new CIEM from an old CIEM) - otherwise it is $95 to manke a CIEM from a Universal IEM

Mar 17, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #11 of 13
It is $150 for remolding a custom IEM (making a new CIEM from an old CIEM) - otherwise it is $95 to manke a CIEM from a Universal IEM

That's my understanding as well, though apparently I was off on the price. The website is misleading, and it's a pretty poor website overall. Kaysen said they are working on a new one. I guess CIEM's are harder to disassemble, thus the higher price for remolding them?

Mar 17, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #12 of 13
I've just had my UE900s reshelled by Cosmic Ears (I'm in the UK) - the crap connectors on the earpieces were just driving me round the bend.

First of all...  I don't think there's an improvement in isolation.  In fact, I think they isolate slightly less.  Bear this in mind.  I actually don't mind it at all, for the following reason:

Everything about the IEM has been improved.  Credit mostly to Phil of CE for this - he made his own crossover to replace the rather rubbish one in the stock UE900.  Better bass, better treble, improved soundstage, amazing clarity.  I would thoroughly recommend reshelling, providing you get damn good moulds to begin with.  The only downside is that I now hanker after a proper top tier CIEM.

Mar 18, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #13 of 13
I guess I bit the bullet...

Just got back from the audiologist.  He took impressions that he will send out to have proper ear molds made.  Total cost was $150, and includes a good warranty.  They should be back in about 10 days.  Then it's back to have them fitted and adjusted, if necessary.  I am glad I did it.

In the past, I have gone a much less expensive route.  Here is what they look like:

Not exactly low-profile, are they?

I think what I am getting this time will be closer to:

I will keep you posted.

Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back