Thinking of buying TF10, have a few questions about the build quality
Dec 3, 2011 at 8:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

nehcrow

1000+ Head-Fier
Is it worth spending ~$160 for the TF-10 if I have heard horrible stories about the build quality? I have read that the cable is the weakest part of the model, I have also read that the cable can be replaced... can i just by the TF10's and replace the cable straight away with something a little more sturdy? will this eliminate all build quality problems with this model? If so, could you give me a shortlist on the best replacement cables, I don't want to spend too much on this feature... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crystal-Upgrade-Cable-Ultimate-ears-/270593811024?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item3f00a5e250#ht_1062wt_956 This cable struck me as something that could work well. Thanks!

Dec 3, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #2 of 9
They are worth $399 from a sound standpoint.  Not sure where you are hearing about build quality issues.  I think TF10 is built like a tank.  Nothing delicate about it.  While the cable is a bit squirrly, it is quite thick with great strain reliefs.  It does not tangle very easily like a Westone cable.  I don't see where it would be weak an any area.  Perfect length too.

Realize that any hard use if any cable will make it much more susceptible to a failure.  If you wrap them around your player and shove it in your pocket, that is heavy wear and tear.

Dec 4, 2011 at 5:21 AM Post #3 of 9
Are you sure? People have reported that the UE cables are terrible...
As I stated above I handle my earphones quite roughly from time to time, I'm really worried about the build quality. :p

Dec 4, 2011 at 5:35 AM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
Are you sure? People have reported that the UE cables are terrible...
As I stated above I handle my earphones quite roughly from time to time, I'm really worried about the build quality. :p

Are you sure it's the TF10s you're talking about? The TF10s have the most sturdiest cables I have ever seen on an IEM. And it has a right angle jack so it won't bend and deteriorate. You might be thinking of the lower end Ultimate Ears earphones. I have the SuperFi 5vi and it is a KNOWN problem by Logitech and others that the cables break extremely easily at the jack. Mine severed within 3 weeks and I probably used it on 3 different occasions only. It didn't fully severe, its completely functional but the rubber around the wires where the jack is located, is. 

The UE cables are terrible at least for the SuperFi 5vi. That's for sure. But there's something about them changing the cables over the years and Logitech IS aware of the problem. But regarding the TF10, they are built like a freakin tank. I never even considered buying it cause I was super turned off by my experience with the $99 Superfi 5vis but trust me, if I had the money I would pay the full price on the TF10s. I'm just lucky I got the deal on Amazon. 

To sum up, I have both UE TripleFi 10 and UE Superfi 5vi. Completely different earphones, different cables, different build and sound quality. Get the TF10s. 

Comparison on google images. This is the notorious problem with the UE superfi cables (including mine):

Triple Fi cables: 

Can't find a good close up. but i have both in my hands and the TF10s are almost twice as thick + 90degree jack.

Dec 4, 2011 at 6:06 AM Post #5 of 9
i found the tf10 an excellent earphone for the price standpoint and don't have durability issue using it. I am using the vi version which comes with an even thinner cable. Weak part may come from the connection between the cable and the earphone.
Many users also complain about the comfort of the tf10 which I find good, but I definitely prefer Shure (se535) in this area.

Dec 4, 2011 at 6:13 AM Post #6 of 9
I find the fit on the TF10s to be excellent. I like the overall sound. For $94.00 they were a steal. Even $170.00 sounds reasonable. The fact that they have detachable cables means even if your cable breaks, you can just buy an aftermarket upgrade cable.

Dec 4, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #8 of 9
The stock cables suck imho.  Also people that have had problems with the build seem to have problems with pulling the connector out..

Dec 5, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #9 of 9
Hey KimChee can you give me a descriptive review of your Custom TF10s? I wanna know what's different about them compared to stalk. I also heard using a certain cable will eliminate the recessed mids? Thanks your help is appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back