Thinking of an iPod Touch 2G, how does the SQ compare to a 5G iPod or a Zen Touch?
Nov 16, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #2 of 23
The new touch has no bass roll off and a great detailed accurate sound that has no weakness imho. I would rate the touch 2g over the 5g for better detail and soundstage and the least hiss I have ever heard with my shure e530. From what I remember from the zen, I would rate the new touch better also. Too me it doesn't sound cold but has tons of detail and space around the instruments . I wouldn't call it warm either, but with the full bass it has more body than say the 5g. I haven't tried my amp with it yet( haven't felt it needed it) but it sounds just awesome with shure e530 and senn. hd595. The only daps I think come close imho are the new sony S series (amazing), sansa fuze/clip and the zune. I have owend em all kenwood, toshiba, cowon, iriver, mpio, samsung, creative, ect ect and this is still my serious listening dap. Of course this is with no eq, the eq on the touch is horrible just like any other stock ipod. Hope this helps.

Nov 17, 2008 at 8:02 AM Post #4 of 23
How to customize iPod EQ using iTunes:

In iTunes menu bar, select Window - then - Equalizer
Customize EQ settings to your liking.

(As soon as you change any EQ passband, the name of whatever preset you started out with, will change to "Manual" in the pulldown menu at the top of the EQ popup screen)

Strongly recommend that you use subtractive EQ ONLY!
Increasing any passband above 0db setting (on any iPod I've ever owned) degrades the sound quality way more than subtractive EQ.

The only thing that matters in EQ is the "shape" of your EQ settings (i.e. bandpass gain settings RELATIVE to each other), not their absolute amplitude.

Now, the important part:

- In the iTunes / Equalizer pulldown menu, that now says Manual, select "MAKE PRESET".

- Type in an EXISTING preset name: e.g. Rock
You'll get a prompt saying: "An EQ preset already exists with the name "____". Do you want to overwrite it? -Click YES!

- In iTunes, be sure you have Equalizer selected in View Options, for the Playlist to which you will be applying your custom EQ.

- select the Preset Name that you used for your "Custom EQ Setup" for the each track you want to listen to, with your new custom EQ.

- Select the same EQ Preset Name on your iPod (in the Settings / EQ menu).

Voila - you now have a custom EQ (you have customized a preset EQ)

You can now iterate: make incremental changes in your custom EQ setting in iTunes (as described above),
sync your iPod,
listen,
and then modify your Custom EQ appropriately,
until you zero in on the ideal EQ for you ears & your system.

Try it, and let us know how it works out for you.

I couldn't live without it.

Nov 17, 2008 at 8:13 AM Post #5 of 23
PS: I hacked my way through this procedure (and my ears can vouch that it works) after creating and naming my own custom EQ settings in iTunes.

Unfortunately, a New EQ Name, created in iTunes, will not appear on your iPod - hence the: "use a Factory Preset EQ name" - trick.

Creating a custom Name (with custom EQ) works fine if listening via iTunes - it just won't port to your iPod.

Dec 6, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #8 of 23
I actually have not. I have been away from my iPod for a bit, but will try when winter break hits. When I can spend time on iTunes and not in the law library
wink.gif

Dec 7, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #9 of 23
Please share your experience, when you do try it.

(FWIW: I have a custom Subtractive EQ setting saved for each headphone. My iPod EQ is always set to Rock - so in iTunes, I just pull up the appropriate EQ for the headphone I'm listening to that session; do a "Make Preset" - and rename it Rock (overwriting previous setting). That way I do it all in iTunes, and don't have to bother fiddling with iPod menus)

Dec 7, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #10 of 23
Just from a short listening in the Apple Store with my KSC75s, I can vouch that the 2g Touch sounds much better than my 3g Nano, which I believe has a similar, if not the same, DAC as a 5g. I definitely plan to pick one up after Xmas.
Also, SierraHotel, thanks for the info on EQing - I'll try it on my Nano soon.

Dec 7, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #11 of 23
Sorry, but this has been discussed many times before and no matter what tricks you may try custom EQ settings made in iTunes are not transferred to an iPod. Look it up on Apple's support site, it will say the same thing.

Dec 10, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, but this has been discussed many times before and no matter what tricks you may try custom EQ settings made in iTunes are not transferred to an iPod. Look it up on Apple's support site, it will say the same thing.

Apple is correct: custom EQ setting will not transfer to the iPod.
(define a new setting; name it; save it in iTunes - and it will NOT show up on iPod EQ menu - this is true)

However,
change the EQ settings on a preset / prenamed EQ setting, save by over-writing original setting. Those changes WILL transfer to the iPod.

Try it; and tell me what your ears say.
My ear tell me it works - I can hear the change in SQ - pretty darn sure it's not the placebo effect.

(Interested to hear your experience with Over-Writing Presets. Please give it a try, and let us know what you hear.)

Dec 10, 2008 at 7:28 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by SierraHotel01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apple is correct: custom EQ setting will not transfer to the iPod.
(define a new setting; name it; save it in iTunes - and it will NOT show up on iPod EQ menu - this is true)

However,
change the EQ settings on a preset / prenamed EQ setting, save by over-writing original setting. Those changes WILL transfer to the iPod.

Try it; and tell me what your ears say.
My ear tell me it works - I can hear the change in SQ - pretty darn sure it's not the placebo effect.

(Interested to hear your experience with Over-Writing Presets. Please give it a try, and let us know what you hear.)

Well, when I try it, I'll make very drastic changes to try it out. Like making Bass Boost a Treble Boost instead.

Dec 10, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by gohanssjn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, just tried it since I had a few minutes. Changed all the lower freq's in the 'Flat' setting to max, and synced. No change.

gohanssjn,

Sorry you weren't able to get results (yet).
I know this darn thing works.
Stick with me, and let's try to debug the procedure:

1. Did you select "Flat" in the iTunes playlist for the song you were testing? (that part is crucial)

2. I assume you had the little blue box ("On") in the upper left hand corner of the iTunes EQ pop-up screen checked.

3. Assume you went to iPod / settings / EQ and selected "Flat".

My best guess at this point is #1.
(Please confirm "Flat" is selected, in iTunes playlist, for your "test" tune/song, before you sync your iPod.)

Maybe there is something unique about the firmware in a 3G Nano - but I doubt it.

Please advise whether this resolves the issue for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back