Thinking of an iPod Touch 2G, how does the SQ compare to a 5G iPod or a Zen Touch?
Dec 12, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by SierraHotel01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My ear tell me it works - I can hear the change in SQ - pretty darn sure it's not the placebo effect.

If you are making small changes it could be placebo, but it should be pretty easy to tell for sure... just create a preset with intentionally horrible sound, such as full bass and no treble, or vice-versa. It should be immediately obvious whether it is really working or not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SierraHotel01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(Interested to hear your experience with Over-Writing Presets. Please give it a try, and let us know what you hear.)

I'll give it a try tonight. This is one case where I'd sure love to be wrong, but I don't think so...

Dec 12, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #17 of 23
Well I just spent a while experimenting and followed your procedure exactly but the change in the preset is definitely not being transferred to my player (a 2G Touch.) I made a purposely horrible-sounding preset (bass sliders all max, treble all low), saved the new preset as 'Flat' in iTunes (overwriting the original), then set a track to this new preset and then synced the track to the player (I watched the track sync so I know it was transferred.) When I select my new 'Flat' preset in iTunes it sounds horrible (as expected), but when I select 'Flat' on the player it uses the internal preset... nothing has changed.

To double-check could you try the same procedure... make a terrible-sounding preset (one so obvious that it couldn't be placebo) and see if you can transfer it to your player.

As I said, I'd love to be wrong when I say this won't work but I just don't think it's possible to transfer a custom preset to the device no matter what you do.

Dec 13, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #18 of 23
I tried the custom eq hack with my iPod Photo and it didn't work for me either. Haven't tested it with my Touch yet. I would LOVE to be able to customize...it's annoying that Apple won't offer this very basic feature.

Dec 15, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #19 of 23
To answer your original question...

My 16gb 2nd Gen Touch sounds at least as good as my Classic 160gb. Probably better.

Both sound better than my unmodded gen 5 and 5.5.

Dec 15, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #20 of 23
This should really be easy to prove (as mentioned by others create horrid settings) and until then lets assume the result is the same as the 763 other attempts to transfer EQ settings.

Don't have a touch any longer but would highly recommend. If I have a complaint about it's SQ it's only that it's a tad flat. Have to admit there are advantages of some other warmer signatures, such as Sonys and MobiBLU, when going through the head jack. But of course you also have the line-out possibility (lots of options with 1G, fewer at this point with 2G).

I know you're asking specifically about SQ, but I can't overemphasize (at least for those without smart phones) what a revolution it is to have a browser on your iPod. There are a few others manufacturers with wi-fi too, but I can't imagine going back once you have that feature. Hell, it led me (and I expect many others) to the iPhone.

Dec 15, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #21 of 23
If only the ipod touch 2g had flash, a built in microphone and a better speaker.

Jan 4, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #22 of 23
Well, after a few days, it is very similar to my Creative Touch 40GB. There is no electronic background hum in my Shure SE310's like my iPod 5G had (Touch never had any hum), and the sound is pretty full, if not a little lacking in the bass.

Very happy with it
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back