Thinking about upgrading for better sound, but where to start? (~$200)
Jul 28, 2005 at 1:54 PM Post #61 of 67
What would be a good closed alternative to the DT880s (Currently have the A500s)? The SA5K's look good, but I'd only be able to get a ~$140 amp with them.

Jul 30, 2005 at 4:21 PM Post #63 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Averse
ATH-W1000?

When I say alternative to the DT880s, I imply in the DT880's price range. Any other suggestions?

Jul 30, 2005 at 8:33 PM Post #64 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
When I say alternative to the DT880s, I imply in the DT880's price range. Any other suggestions?

I prefer IEMs to the closed headphones in that price range.

I'd look into Shure E5c or Westone UM2.

-Matt

Jul 31, 2005 at 2:30 AM Post #65 of 67
IEMs? You sure? I remember reading somewhere that you get less bang for you buck with IEMs, in that $300 IEMs will have worse sound quality than $300 headphones. I also have a fear that bass would be nonexistent, that something would break or be lost, and that I'd never have the proper seal (It'd drive me nuts to always think whether I sealed them correctly or not; or if I could seal them just a little bit better). So, any alternatives that aren't IEMs? TOTAL budget is ~$500-$550.

Jul 31, 2005 at 3:33 AM Post #66 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
IEMs? You sure? I remember reading somewhere that you get less bang for you buck with IEMs, in that $300 IEMs will have worse sound quality than $300 headphones. I also have a fear that bass would be nonexistent, that something would break or be lost, and that I'd never have the proper seal (It'd drive me nuts to always think whether I sealed them correctly or not; or if I could seal them just a little bit better). So, any alternatives that aren't IEMs? TOTAL budget is ~$500-$550.

Azure, keep in mind that the issue under consideration is the matter of closed headphones, hence the IEM suggestion. If you buy a pair of Shure E4's (personal experience) or super.fi's or Westone's (I've heard from many others on the forum), You'd find varying extents of very acceptable and nice bass. I find that the e4's lose against headphones when it comes to deep bass frequencies (e.g. feeling a bass drum pounded by a pedal), soundstage and treble (shure's treble seems to be a bit recessed), but overall I am happy with their isolation (dual flange), detail and SQ. The e4's have been touted as the 'most balanced' IEM's out there, with UE/Westone's offering better bass response coupled with poorer treble responses than the E4. If you want great SQ from closed headphones, you'll have to pay a somewhat hefty price(SQ-wise compared to open cans) and lose the soundstage at the same time - at least that's what I got from listening to the higher end Sony's, AKG's and Audio-Technicas.

Jul 31, 2005 at 3:54 AM Post #67 of 67
Well, when I can perfectly accept the isolation of headphones, so I'm not really interested in IEMs. Just looking for an alternative to the DT880s that is closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back