Thinking about upgrading for better sound, but where to start? (~$200)
Jul 13, 2005 at 4:32 PM Post #46 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
...I don't get it. Where did this post come from?

Well this was basically my thought process. I saw this thread and remembered the thread back maybe 2 months where you were trying to get reassurance that you'd love your headphones if you bought them. Since it was news to me that you'd actually gotten around to getting them, I was interested to see what you had thought after a year of anticipation. Plus I was a bit surprised that you were already looking into spending double what you had already spent. I searched through your previous posts till I fond the 12 pager when you first got the cans back in June. It was that 2 week Goliath that inspired me; I was unaware that you had come to appreciate the phones in the intervening time. Since I was just looking at your thread titles from the past month and saw no "I love my at500's now!!!" and since you were already interested in putting more money down, I made the assumption that you were still unhappy with your purchase.

My apologies, I really didn’t mean to harp on you over old info, I just wasn’t aware the story had changed.

Quote:

Exactly why I'm being asked to "go away" I don't understand, but if it's because of the whole A500 fiasco and my endless questions, then I'll try to tone it down. If it is more serious than that, then I'll consider leaving head-fi and just go to some other audiophile place (Hopefully you guys don't have accounts there, too
icon10.gif
).

Nope, I’m telling you to go away for your own good, as my serious response to the thread title. You need to give it at least 6 months from your first foray into head-fi to start to get a feel for what you just purchased. In the intervening time you should try to audition some other gear. Try to catch a meet in your area, try to see how the at-500's handle all manner of music under the sun. Fiddle with that great parametric eq the karma has and figure out where you like it. You seriously need to spend some time with your cans without any thought in your head about how you're going to upgrade next. The only way to not think about such things is to not visit head-fi for awhile.

As far as upgrading... at some point someone said that with headphones you were weren't doing upgrades so much as sidegrades and I feel that's true when you're taking about the headphones themselves. The sound you're getting now is already that leap and bound better than what you've had. Another headphone is just going to put its own flavor and interpretation on that high quality sound. 200 bucks isn't even close to the amount you need to spend to enter "the next level". From a simple headphone-mp3 player setup, you're going to have to move up to a full system to really reach upwards from where you are now. From what you've been saying that seems to provide unique difficulties in your situation.

If you don't like that answer and are still convinced you need to drop more money, then...

Source: first of all, where do you do the majority of your litsening? I own a karma, and it is a fine portable source, maybe the best there is without an amp. You don't sound like you have any cds so a stand alone unit is out. You said you don’t have access to your computer for more than 3 days a week, so getting a decent sound card is out. Really it sounds like you are set as far as a source goes, at least for what you have to work with. As far as the material, now that you have a decent set of headphones, you are at liberty to tell US what sounds good. Take a decent sounding cd and compare lossless to 320 to aps to 128 to 32. I highly recommend you do some abxing using foobar's excellent plug-in. Everyone has a different level to which they can detect the flaws in compressed music, and you need to find that level for yourself. No one else can tell you that you can't use 192 bitrate mp3's to do serious listening but you. People can say what they've found out for your own ears, but that means zip to you. Personally aps is fine for me. As long as the cd is encoded to at least that, there is no perceptual or statistical difference to the cd for my ears. Encoding your own music is better than downloading things off the internet, since you’ll know your files were encoded well and have not undergone any transcoding or re-riping. It also lets you bump the quality level of your music up easily when you get new gear and find you now have more exacting standards.

Amp: this is a toughie, especially since you'd end up having to connect it to your karma dock line outs. There are alot of choices and you might not necessarily need one depending on the headphone you decide. Based on what you've read here (I don't know) the at500's get no improvement with an amp. This is really a matter of research to find out what synergizes well with whatever cans you decide to get from here.

Headphones: This is really the question, isn't it? Even though there are only a handful of manufactures, there are still reams of choices. There are so many thousands of threads on this point that I don’t really feel I could add anything but to repeat my recommendation that you try and attend a meet. If you can’t attend a meet you can try finding a pro audio store in your area or tracking down a benevolent head-fi member in your area that would let you audition some of his gear. If there’s absolutely no way you can try before you buy, about the only thing you can do is zero in on a headphone that you think you might like based on what you've read, and take the plunge. Some people have recommended utilizing the return policy of Todd or others, and I think that’s a decent compromise monetarily.

The problem you're facing is really the heart of the head-fi hobby. You get some recommendations, you make some purchases, you form some opinions, and you post those opinions on the site so that the cycle can continue. The best thing you can do for your wallet is to make that cycle goes as slowly as possible.

Jul 13, 2005 at 7:08 PM Post #47 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by dougmwpsu
Well this was basically my thought process. I saw this thread and remembered the thread back maybe 2 months where you were trying to get reassurance that you'd love your headphones if you bought them. Since it was news to me that you'd actually gotten around to getting them, I was interested to see what you had thought after a year of anticipation. Plus I was a bit surprised that you were already looking into spending double what you had already spent. I searched through your previous posts till I fond the 12 pager when you first got the cans back in June. It was that 2 week Goliath that inspired me; I was unaware that you had come to appreciate the phones in the intervening time. Since I was just looking at your thread titles from the past month and saw no "I love my at500's now!!!" and since you were already interested in putting more money down, I made the assumption that you were still unhappy with your purchase.

My apologies, I really didn’t mean to harp on you over old info, I just wasn’t aware the story had changed.

Heh, second to last post in my "biggest disappointment ever" thread is when I say that I'm starting to hear the differences and that I love my A500s
smily_headphones1.gif
I was thinking about making that "I love my A500s" thread, but I thought it would be a waste since I already had that "biggest disappointment ever" thread. So, I just posted it in there.

Quote:

Nope, I’m telling you to go away for your own good, as my serious response to the thread title. You need to give it at least 6 months from your first foray into head-fi to start to get a feel for what you just purchased. In the intervening time you should try to audition some other gear. Try to catch a meet in your area, try to see how the at-500's handle all manner of music under the sun. Fiddle with that great parametric eq the karma has and figure out where you like it. You seriously need to spend some time with your cans without any thought in your head about how you're going to upgrade next. The only way to not think about such things is to not visit head-fi for awhile.

Well, it won't be awhile till the DT880s actuall arrive, so I intend to use that time to "get a feel for what I purchased." Though, I might wait till Christmas for the full 6 months if maybe TTVJ or Headroom have a special sale. And yes, I have already messed with the Karma's EQ and made my own custom one. But the problem is that the Karma has a simple 5-band EQ; everybody tells me to use "foobar," which seems to have a normal sized EQ. I had a hard time adjust the EQ on winamp alone to my own tastes (Just gave up in the end and used a preset), so I don't know how I'd do it with foobar.

Quote:

Source: first of all, where do you do the majority of your litsening? I own a karma, and it is a fine portable source, maybe the best there is without an amp. You don't sound like you have any cds so a stand alone unit is out. You said you don’t have access to your computer for more than 3 days a week, so getting a decent sound card is out. Really it sounds like you are set as far as a source goes, at least for what you have to work with. As far as the material, now that you have a decent set of headphones, you are at liberty to tell US what sounds good. Take a decent sounding cd and compare lossless to 320 to aps to 128 to 32. I highly recommend you do some abxing using foobar's excellent plug-in. Everyone has a different level to which they can detect the flaws in compressed music, and you need to find that level for yourself. No one else can tell you that you can't use 192 bitrate mp3's to do serious listening but you. People can say what they've found out for your own ears, but that means zip to you. Personally aps is fine for me. As long as the cd is encoded to at least that, there is no perceptual or statistical difference to the cd for my ears. Encoding your own music is better than downloading things off the internet, since you’ll know your files were encoded well and have not undergone any transcoding or re-riping. It also lets you bump the quality level of your music up easily when you get new gear and find you now have more exacting standards.

The problem with cds that I can only get so much of my music on CDs. But I WILL be getting the actual CDs this Christmas and I'm going to rip them in FLAC. So, I'll probably do some comparisons there, but I don't think I'll have the right gear to notice differences.

Quote:

Amp: this is a toughie, especially since you'd end up having to connect it to your karma dock line outs. There are alot of choices and you might not necessarily need one depending on the headphone you decide. Based on what you've read here (I don't know) the at500's get no improvement with an amp. This is really a matter of research to find out what synergizes well with whatever cans you decide to get from here.

What's wrong with connecting it to the Karma's dock line out? And yeah, the A500s won't improve much with an amp, but the amp is for the DT880s. I'll just get the DT880s first and wait on the amp for a little while afterward.

Quote:

Headphones: This is really the question, isn't it? Even though there are only a handful of manufactures, there are still reams of choices. There are so many thousands of threads on this point that I don’t really feel I could add anything but to repeat my recommendation that you try and attend a meet. If you can’t attend a meet you can try finding a pro audio store in your area or tracking down a benevolent head-fi member in your area that would let you audition some of his gear. If there’s absolutely no way you can try before you buy, about the only thing you can do is zero in on a headphone that you think you might like based on what you've read, and take the plunge. Some people have recommended utilizing the return policy of Todd or others, and I think that’s a decent compromise monetarily.

I have really wanted to attend a meet, but I've never seen any close to my area (Most are 3+ hours away). As for audio stores, I can't find any that specialize to any degree in headphones. Most just have speaker gear. I want to get my "serious" rig first, so I'll be utilizing the return policies of people like Todd after I get my DT880s + amp.

Quote:

I am feeling extremely frustrated now. Azure is the exact duplicate of me. Exact.

I've been thinking about upgrading from my A500s.
I have the same exact system and setup that Azure has right now.
I've been thinking about getting the DT880s.
I think and would say the same things that Azure said, if I could (but of course, Azure says them before I do).
I have the same budget.
I had the same expecations and are asking the same questions.

Hahahaha.

You think that's freaky? How do you think I felt when I woke up and saw that you created a thread about getting a Gilmore Lite with your DT880s? Stop stealing all my ideas!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2005 at 2:42 AM Post #48 of 67
So, I should definetly NOT consider a soundcard upgrade (I have on-board right now)? How would you rate the SQ difference between using a Karma as a source and something like the 5.1 Revolution (Maybe emu 0404, but that thing looks too cluttered)? What'd be the best sound card to get in the 5.1 Revo/emu 0404 range? I wouldn't have to use foobar, would I (It just looks so plain and unattractice and I can never make a good EQ)?

EDIT: Woah, my edit from my previous post was at 12:12...maybe I should get an emu 1212! Yeah, I'm stupid...

Jul 14, 2005 at 3:14 AM Post #49 of 67
i have the chaintech av-710, and imho it's line out is a touch better than the karma's line out. i've heard that the line out on the revo is very close in quality to the av-710. as far as i know, the revo is much easier to set up than the chaintech, with is a buggy finckey pain in the but.

i've often been tempted to pick up an emu card myself, but as i'm pretty happy with my sound right now, i've yet to be convinced that it'd be a step up worth the hastle.

Jul 14, 2005 at 3:29 AM Post #50 of 67
Only a touch better? What do I have to get to make upgrading from the Karma's line out worthwhile? 0404? 1212?

Jul 14, 2005 at 6:23 AM Post #51 of 67
3 days a week to listen to music isn't that bad (I could live with it if the SQ was that much better than with the Karma), but is it worth it to go from Karma -> Gilmore Lite to 5.1 Revolution (OR 0404) -> Gilmore Lite?

Jul 14, 2005 at 9:38 AM Post #52 of 67
Okay, I've decided to temporarily scratch the DT880s+Gilmore Lite idea for now and I've decided that I'd like to sample something more forward first to see if it is to my liking (The idea of "being on stage" is intriguing). So, I'll just be going with a new pair of headphones, but this time with a $150 budget. But here's where I don't know what to do:
1. Get MS-1s for $99 and pay $21 for Bowl Pads = $120
2. Get SR-125s for $149 and have Bowl Pads for free = $149
Which one do you guys recommend and why?

Jul 14, 2005 at 9:47 AM Post #53 of 67
The sound signature of your headphones isn't going to change that much with a source upgrade.

I say find a headphone that you like, then upgrade the rest of the pathway.

Buy the DT880 and return them if you don't like them. Sell your ATH-A500's used on these forums to recoup some of your costs.

M^3 would be a nice complement to the DT880 when you can afford it ($250 new, very warm, musical, and soundstage-licious amp, kind of how I envision the A.N.T. Amber). AV-710 is cheap ($25) and easy to install if you want to play music from your computer ever. Don't worry too much about those E-MU cards.

Buy used and make sure to sell stuff you don't use.

I think that's the best way to get bang for your buck.

-Matt

I think you'll get the most out of your bucks that way.

Jul 14, 2005 at 9:50 AM Post #54 of 67
Quote:

Okay, I've decided to temporarily scratch the DT880s+Gilmore Lite idea for now and I've decided that I'd like to sample something more forward first to see if it is to my liking (The idea of "being on stage" is intriguing). So, I'll just be going with a new pair of headphones, but this time with a $150 budget. But here's where I don't know what to do:

MS-1 with HD414 Senn pads ($5) which you can mod to sound like flats (total $105).

The SR-125 are too bright and fatiguing...MS-1 are more balanced and fun.

I think you will really like those headphones.

-Matt

Jul 14, 2005 at 10:37 AM Post #55 of 67
Quote:

or spend the money on music. if you are now enjoying the audiotechnicas why are you upgrading so soon? buying stuff just to add in your sig is not really what you need right now. just enjoy the music, enjoy the 'phones.

Jul 16, 2005 at 5:45 PM Post #56 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by atrain
or spend the money on music. if you are now enjoying the audiotechnicas why are you upgrading so soon? buying stuff just to add in your sig is not really what you need right now. just enjoy the music, enjoy the 'phones.

I'm already spending money on music, I think I mentioned that in the first post (I'm going to spend over half my money on new CDs, that's $250). And I also mentioned in the first post that I'm not upgrading right away, but a little while later down the road when I actually get the money. I'd just like to see what my options are now.

So, what about the SR-225s? The part that I hate about the SR-125s is that on TTVJ, Headroom, etc. the SR0225 get this best headphones for rock title and get much praise, but the 125s that are right below it barely get anything. This makes me wonder if an extra $50 would be well worth it to get the 225s? Also, I'm purposely trying to get something with the Grado signautre that costs more/is in a higher class than the A500s; this way, when I actually hear the Grado sound and don't like it, I'll know it isn't because the cans are more low-end than my A500s.

Jul 17, 2005 at 7:17 AM Post #57 of 67
Bumparoo!

Jul 19, 2005 at 9:54 PM Post #58 of 67
Bump - I did some math and figured out that I'd have $600 to spare next summer if I only buy cds this Christmas and I don't use this $200 to upgrade (I figured out that I don't want to waste time/money by trying out Grados and Senns and what not). With $600, I have these options:

DT880s - $250
Amp - $250-350
Computer - $800 (I'd be able to spend an extra ~$200 if I decide to get my own computer)

With the computer, I'd have access to it all the time, which means that I'd be able to get a nice $100-$200 soundcard. But the problem would be that I'd still only have the A500s, so the soundcard wouldn't be that much of an added benefit. I wouldn't have to worry about my source for future upgrades, but amplification would continue to be a factor.

With the DT880s+Amp, I'd get much better improved sound versus A500+Soundcard, but I'd still be stuck with my Karma's Line Out. But I'd have an amp, so I wouldn't need to worry about amping for future headphone purchases. But then I'd have to worry about source.

confused.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 6:24 AM Post #59 of 67
Bump

Jul 24, 2005 at 7:11 AM Post #60 of 67
Eh, I think I'm going to stick with the Audio-Technica sound signature. But, where do I go in the AT-line from here? Would the A900s be worth it? A1000s are a bit too expensive for me and all the other hi-end AT cans are ridiculously expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back