Thinking about Stax SR-001
Mar 19, 2009 at 7:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

darkangel9685

100+ Head-Fier
So I was thinking about getting the Stax SR-001 "ear-speakers" from audiocubes...But I just have a few questions...

First, do they fit like IEM's or more like earbuds?

How long do batteries last in the amp?

does any place other than audiocubes sell them?

If I have anymore questions, I'll post them here

Mar 19, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #2 of 9
1. Somewhere in between. The pads push directly on your ear canals, but don't go in like IEM's.

2. Depending on batteries (Alkaline or rechargeable), but somewhere in the 4-5 hour range.

3. Sure.
* Audio Cubes II -> Audio Cubes II - High Fidelity Audio Products
* PriceJapan -> PriceJapan.com
* Your local Stax dealer

Mar 19, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepyOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't! Sterile and uncomfortable will be a good description..... Just get some nice IEM instead.

I was just actually gonna ask!

How would they fare against my beloved iGrado's, with that signature "Grado" sound?

Mar 19, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #6 of 9
Don't write them off that fast!
I found their sound to be engaging and really nice, especially for a portable system. Like 'SleepyOne' I had some wearing discomfort problems. This seems to be highly user dependent though, as some find them comfortable.

All down to you of course. Worst case you may end up selling them...

Mar 20, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #8 of 9
Enormously enjoyable and upgradeable - http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/sta...thread-277049/ - ESP.

IF you find them comfortable THEN you can enjoy superb sound that even my best IEM rigs (Livewires/ER4-P Piccolino recabled fed by Xin Supermicro IV from iBasso D1 DAC/iRiver H140 FLACs) cannot match.

There's just something about that electostatic sound
wink_face.gif

Mar 20, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #9 of 9
Do or do not, there is no think.

Sterile is hardly a description I'd use on them, warm, full and lush, recessed highs but still very detailed. Also, with a proper seal they go really low and can go extremely loud without distortion.

Comfort is another matter, most find them mildly to intensely uncomfy but I don't mind them too much. I do really like the sound
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back