Thinking about replacing my V-Moda M100s with 1000Xs...Thoughts?
Sep 3, 2017 at 3:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

malibuboats91

Head-Fier
Hi Everyone! Fellow basshead here. I've been using a pair of V-Moda M100s for a solid 3-4 years now and love them. They've definitely seen better days as they are starting to show some wear and it bugs me that they aren't the best at noise cancelling. Anyways, I'm currently studying for the CPA exam and am looking for a pair of headphones that's a little better at noise canceling, but has good bass like the V-Modas.

I went to Best Buy and tried out the QC35 and the Sony MDR-1000x. The Sonys seemed to be the best In the noise cancelling group, so I bought them. Later I did some research and it seems like the bands break easily, then Sony doesn't warranty them for everyone. I got them for $230, but think they will be going back.

Now I have not listened to the QC35 as their display was down and I also am curious about the Crossfade Wireless 2. Would those have better noise cancelling abilitys compared to my M100s? I could cash in on the Immortal life warranty. Otherwise there's the P7. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated!

Sep 3, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #2 of 11
Most headphones have passive noise isolation. Bose have active noise canceling and are regarded as the best in the business in that respect. I owned the QC15 for years and auditioned the M-100 and QC35. You'll definitely get better noise canceling with the QC35 and you also have the option to turn off the NC for passive isolation and a change of sound.

Sep 3, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #3 of 11
Most headphones have passive noise isolation. Bose have active noise canceling and are regarded as the best in the business in that respect. I owned the QC15 for years and auditioned the M-100 and QC35. You'll definitely get better noise canceling with the QC35 and you also have the option to turn off the NC for passive isolation and a change of sound.

I guess I didn't word my initial statement properly. When I'm studying I don't necessarily have the headphones playing music. I just turned on my TV and put on both my M100s and 1000xs. With both off the 1000x cancelled the noise slightly better. If I'm looking for something in the realm of the M100 that has similar noise cancellation in off form, what would you recommend? I'm a bass head for sure and am not sold on the 1000x due to headband issues. Thanks!

Sep 3, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #4 of 11
I guess I didn't word my initial statement properly. When I'm studying I don't necessarily have the headphones playing music. I just turned on my TV and put on both my M100s and 1000xs. With both off the 1000x cancelled the noise slightly better. If I'm looking for something in the realm of the M100 that has similar noise cancellation in off form, what would you recommend? I'm a bass head for sure and am not sold on the 1000x due to headband issues. Thanks!

It's better to refer to passive sound blocking as isolation to differentiate it from active noise canceling that does it with electronics, just to avoid confusion. But you'll get the best blocking of sound with active NC.

How much are you looking to spend?

Here's a good thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/comparisons-34-of-the-top-closed-portable-headphones-around.672743

I agree with him about the Audeze SINE having the best sound in the category of that thread, but it doesn't have active NC.

If you want a serious basshead headphone, the JVC HA-SZ2000 is ranked #1 in the extreme bass thread. (Based on which headphones have the hardest-hitting bass when you use extreme bass boosts and an amp powerful enough to handle it.) But it needs EQ to sound good, is sort of uncomfortable, and I can't comment on how well it passively blocks sound, since when I turn on music, I don't hear anything but the loudest external noises anyway.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #5 of 11
It's better to refer to passive sound blocking as isolation to differentiate it from active noise canceling that does it with electronics, just to avoid confusion. But you'll get the best blocking of sound with active NC.

How much are you looking to spend?

Here's a good thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/comparisons-34-of-the-top-closed-portable-headphones-around.672743

I agree with him about the Audeze SINE having the best sound in the category of that thread, but it doesn't have active NC.

If you want a serious basshead headphone, the JVC HA-SZ2000 is ranked #1 in the extreme bass thread. (Based on which headphones have the hardest-hitting bass when you use extreme bass boosts and an amp powerful enough to handle it.) But it needs EQ to sound good, is sort of uncomfortable, and I can't comment on how well it passively blocks sound, since when I turn on music, I don't hear anything but the loudest external noises anyway.
Thanks for sharing that. It looks like the 1000x is a pretty damn good headphone! Would you be concerned about the headband issue? Best Buy advertised them wrong so I picked up a pair for $230 instead of the sale provide of $299. They're certainly more comfy than my V-Modas and seem to sound better IMO.

Sep 3, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #6 of 11
Thanks for sharing that. It looks like the 1000x is a pretty damn good headphone! Would you be concerned about the headband issue? Best Buy advertised them wrong so I picked up a pair for $230 instead of the sale provide of $299. They're certainly more comfy than my V-Modas and seem to sound better IMO.

I don't really know much about that particular headphone. I'm careful with headphones and have never had headbands break. If you need something rugged, it could become a problem, especially if Sony don't honor the warranty for whatever reason.

As for comfort, get the XL pads if you don't have them already. V-MODA headphones are painfully uncomfortable for me with the stock pads.

Sep 3, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #7 of 11
I don't really know much about that particular headphone. I'm careful with headphones and have never had headbands break. If you need something rugged, it could become a problem, especially if Sony don't honor the warranty for whatever reason.

As for comfort, get the XL pads if you don't have them already. V-MODA headphones are painfully uncomfortable for me with the stock pads.
I've read rave reviews about the 1000xs, but then a lot of people talk about issues with headbands breaking and Sony not honoring the warranty.

As for the V-MODAs I have the XL pads. In general they still hurt my head after a few hours because they clamp so hard!

Sep 5, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #10 of 11
Since you mentioned being a basshead...the QC35 is closer to an audiophile headphone than the QC15.

(The latter has stronger bass and less advanced sound quality, though you can always use EQ either way.)
Hmm maybe I should check that out. I returned the 1000Xs. I think they sounded better than my VModas so I'm at a loss now. I really do not need noise cancellation though.

Sep 5, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #11 of 11
Hmm maybe I should check that out. I returned the 1000Xs. I think they sounded better than my VModas so I'm at a loss now. I really do not need noise cancellation though.

If you look through the thread about the 1000Xs it appears as if the cracking issue was with headphones that had a serial number within a certain range so you can check yours. I'll point out that the next generation Sony 1000x has been announced and will be on sale in a couple of weeks (probably why the model you got was on sale). Also, the new Beats Studio was announced and will be on sale next month. Not sure what either will sound like, though from what I have read both are supposed to have ANC improvements. Worth checking out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back