Thinking about picking up the Eastsound CD-E5
Oct 6, 2005 at 2:49 PM Post #766 of 1,228
My CD-E5 will be arriving today, just in time for me to go out of town for 4 days.
frown.gif

Oct 6, 2005 at 4:35 PM Post #767 of 1,228
Well guys, my Eastsound is going to the Philly Meet this Saturday, there will be a few critical listeners on hand, so maybe we can get some more impressions to put a final label on the E5. (and maybe put the stake to this nosferatu of a thread
tongue.gif
)

Oct 7, 2005 at 3:49 PM Post #768 of 1,228
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
My CD-E5 will be arriving today, just in time for me to go out of town for 4 days.
frown.gif

Same with me. Delivered yesterday, I'm 4 hours away from home until Monday
frown.gif

Oct 10, 2005 at 3:04 AM Post #769 of 1,228
box.jpg

What is this? A heavily stickered and customs-tagged box? Whatever may be inside?

rack2.jpg

Currently getting a feel for it, but it is miles above either of the previous players I've had (NAD C542, s500i) The HD650 sounds terrific out of it and my Singlepower. I liked the W1000 a lot more out of my DAC/M3 combo (or the DAC/Singlepower, for that matter), but what they say about the HD650 being finicky about sources is certainly true thus far, it's tied with or maybe just slightly better than the W1000. The power cord (lower left) is ridiculously huge, it's thicker than my friggen thumb.

Oct 10, 2005 at 5:08 PM Post #770 of 1,228
I am going to pick up my Esound CD player today!!
tongue.gif

It only took 3 days to get here from China - pretty impressive. I will be comparing it to a Jolida JD100 w/ GE NOS tubes and a Rakk Dac (I am borrowing). Should be interesting. I'll let you know what I find out soon!!

Oct 11, 2005 at 12:13 AM Post #771 of 1,228
Just got notification of the tracking number...

Gotta say, Cattylink have got their act together for customer advice. Why doesn't everyone keep their customers informed like this?

Re the powercord: I'm not saying that the cord couldn't/doesn't make a difference, as I've never tried one. But I have to ask about the power cable behind the switch and back to the switchboard. If a few feet of cable makes a difference, shouldn't there be an effort to fix the rest of it?

Mike

Oct 11, 2005 at 12:42 AM Post #772 of 1,228
Quote:

Originally Posted by maf_au
Re the powercord: I'm not saying that the cord couldn't/doesn't make a difference, as I've never tried one. But I have to ask about the power cable behind the switch and back to the switchboard. If a few feet of cable makes a difference, shouldn't there be an effort to fix the rest of it?

Be careful moving the power cable. The three inside cables came loose easily at the device end (not the wall plug) during replacement with another power cable. The three chords are screwed in and they are troublesome to screw back in.

Oct 11, 2005 at 2:06 AM Post #773 of 1,228
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffjazz
I am going to pick up my Esound CD player today!!
tongue.gif

It only took 3 days to get here from China - pretty impressive. I will be comparing it to a Jolida JD100 w/ GE NOS tubes and a Rakk Dac (I am borrowing). Should be interesting. I'll let you know what I find out soon!!

The Esound betters my Jolida in all the audiophile areas. Soundstage, detail, tighter bass, etc. It is more extended than both the Jolida and Rakk Dac, without being bright. It sounds the best with the Silver Rain Coat power cord. I had initially used another audiophile cord and the Esound's balance was off. The low end was missing and not warm enough and the highs were too bright. The Rain Coat cord brought everything into proper balance. I am now a believer in better power cords (or the right ones). I always knew that better interconnects/ speaker cables made a difference, but I was a skeptic about power cords - no more. I'll give another update after it burns in more. It looks like this is a keeper. It is built like a tank, much better than the Jolida.
tongue.gif

Oct 11, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #774 of 1,228
I just spent my first 30 minutes with the CD-E5. I am using a Soundstring power cord and a pair of gold raincoats. I have to say that I am impressed. Granted, this is a very preliminary opinion but to me, it has a very musical warm sound.

Oct 11, 2005 at 8:33 AM Post #777 of 1,228
Really? how much is it now, I got a price quote from them for the cd player and a headphone amp. so not sure where the price splits.

how much are they going for just the cdplayer shipped? I didnt get a response back from them when I asked for just a cd player quote.

I was reading their price quote and it says the price is on guaranteed until today and will most likely increase. Maybe just a way to entice me to buy one right away?

anyhow, anyone know what the average street price is for the player?

Oct 11, 2005 at 10:44 AM Post #778 of 1,228
$US747 landed into Australia, it was apparently $710 before the price rise.

There is no 'street' price, there is just 'the' price.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 11, 2005 at 11:52 AM Post #779 of 1,228
Quote:

Originally Posted by skysaxon
Be careful moving the power cable. The three inside cables came loose easily at the device end (not the wall plug) during replacement with another power cable. The three chords are screwed in and they are troublesome to screw back in.

I had the same exact problem--a pain. Others should be forewarned, and take care in handling the silver raincoat power cord.

Oct 11, 2005 at 11:58 AM Post #780 of 1,228
Quote:

Originally Posted by EricP
box.jpg

What is this? A heavily stickered and customs-tagged box? Whatever may be inside?

rack2.jpg

Currently getting a feel for it, but it is miles above either of the previous players I've had (NAD C542, s500i) The HD650 sounds terrific out of it and my Singlepower. I liked the W1000 a lot more out of my DAC/M3 combo (or the DAC/Singlepower, for that matter), but what they say about the HD650 being finicky about sources is certainly true thus far, it's tied with or maybe just slightly better than the W1000. The power cord (lower left) is ridiculously huge, it's thicker than my friggen thumb.

wow that looks nice! MUST RESIST UPGRATITUS...ALREADY HAS E3...MUST RESIST!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back