Thinking about moving out of the US...
Jan 24, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #31 of 68
this turned ugly fast.
I too want to know what our brothers outside the US think, they don't seem to contribute as much. I value their opinions.
anyway to the OP, do you have any friends from abroad?
I have relatives (just In-laws really) from Stockholm and it's really expensive there but they seem to do OK. We all vacation together in France every Spring.

edit to add, are Craigslist transactions nicer outside the US because I seem to
get all the A-holes.

edit again, my brother joined the army to see the world, all he got was 3 years of Texas and Oklahoma. and a really dark tan.

Jan 24, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #33 of 68
I'm just as appalled at obnoxious drunk swearing Americans as anyone else in the world. They're simply obnoxious people period.

I think the loud obnoxious drunk Americans who travel are typically stinking rich ones (of whom I am NOT). They think they own the world. Sickening.

But for every obnoxious one I've encountered, I've met and known 100 who are beautiful people who would give you the shirt off their backs if you needed it. We have a way of joining together for others, when needed.

As far as a "sinking ship" I would respectfully disagree. We've had our ups and downs in our history but we're a resilient bunch and we usually bounce back.

Jan 24, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #35 of 68
I live in the US, have lived in Europe for 2 years, and have spent more than a month in more countries than I can count on both hands, and I hate to break the news to you, but people are the same everywhere; human. I rarely met people who confused Americans with America. In other words, every country I visited had something the citizens didn’t like about their country, and they didn’t always agree with their government either. As already stated by others, they will like you if you are likeable, not because of where you’re from. (wouldn’t it be easy for us reading your post to [wrongly] say to ourselves, “He’s from Utah, it’s those Mormons he doesn’t like”.)

Since you’re not out of school yet, chances are you’re under 30 and maybe haven’t lived in very many places yet. And since you don’t know how people in other places would receive you, you most likely haven’t travelled much. I don’t say these things negatively, but to highlight the option that before you move, you may want to visit some other countries first.

I loved England and the people there, but wasn’t fond of the food. Things like this you won’t find in a book, only by visiting. I also notice you only mention countries where some form of English is spoken. Do you really want a change of culture, or just a change of geography?

In any event, I’m merely trying to say ‘look before you leap’. I hope you the very best in whatever you decide. Odds are if you move it won’t be your last move. Explore this great big world. I believe it was Mark Twain who said something like, “The world is like a book, and people who don’t travel only get to read one page.”

Jan 24, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #36 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by skoog5600 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good question ... I moved out of the US about three years ago. I met my now wife. We long distance dated for two years before I decided to leave the US and move to Japan. We live in Tokyo now. The reasons were not only because my wife is Japanese but I no longer like what the US represents. At the time it was Bush ... so in some ways it is political, but also cultural. The US mindset, generally speaking, is just plain wrong. Unsustainable and selfish.

I have to say it was the best move I ever made. Japan has its problems, don't get me wrong, but it is so much better. Health care is amazing, mass transit, healthy lifestyle (food). People are friendly.

So I say get out of the US while you can ... it is truly a sinking ship.

Glad to see people like you leave! Makes it that much easier for the people that do love and believe in this country. I get so sick of hearing out of peoples mouths how bad they hate it here, happy there's one less!

Jan 24, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #37 of 68
Wow thank you to all the people with nice advice. This isn't a fast thing by any means it will be about 6 years before we are getting serious about it. I was just curious, we have also thought about moving to the Seattle area because of the cooler temperatures and the coast blah blah. But we have heard a lot about the "Seattle freeze" apparently it can be hard to be accepted by neighbors and what not when moving into the area.

So it got me thinking about it a little and I wondered to myself if this kind of thing might be magnified if we decided to move abroad. Anyway thanks again for the input lets keep this thread on a pleasant note thought please.

Jan 24, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #38 of 68
When I am not in the US, I forget my English and buy clothes where ever I am. Much easier to Acclimate.

Jan 24, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #39 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by kshelton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah we will obviously look into jobs and visa when the time gets closer. Ireland would be my first choice, I am about 1/2-3/4 Irish and I swear Ireland calls to me
wink.gif
. I know that Americans are not well received a lot and I understand why. I just worry how much of a problem that will become or if any.

Well that makes you more Irish than American so where is the problem.

Born and Bred in America and reckons 3/4 Irish.
wink_face.gif

Jan 24, 2010 at 4:13 AM Post #41 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3DCadman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm just as appalled at obnoxious drunk swearing Americans as anyone else in the world. They're simply obnoxious people period.

I think the loud obnoxious drunk Americans who travel are typically stinking rich ones (of whom I am NOT). They think they own the world. Sickening.

But for every obnoxious one I've encountered, I've met and known 100 who are beautiful people who would give you the shirt off their backs if you needed it. We have a way of joining together for others, when needed.

As far as a "sinking ship" I would respectfully disagree. We've had our ups and downs in our history but we're a resilient bunch and we usually bounce back.

Agreed 100% especially the last part on the sinking ship.

Jan 24, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #43 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by ford2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well that makes you more Irish than American so where is the problem.

Born and Bred in America and reckons 3/4 Irish.
wink_face.gif

I don't care what nationality you are , to the Irish people you are AMERICAN and that's how you will be perceived. a follow up from Ford2

Jan 24, 2010 at 5:19 AM Post #45 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Uthadude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I live in the US, have lived in Europe for 2 years, and have spent more than a month in more countries than I can count on both hands, and I hate to break the news to you, but people are the same everywhere; human. I rarely met people who confused Americans with America. In other words, every country I visited had something the citizens didn’t like about their country, and they didn’t always agree with their government either. As already stated by others, they will like you if you are likeable, not because of where you’re from. (wouldn’t it be easy for us reading your post to [wrongly] say to ourselves, “He’s from Utah, it’s those Mormons he doesn’t like”.)

Since you’re not out of school yet, chances are you’re under 30 and maybe haven’t lived in very many places yet. And since you don’t know how people in other places would receive you, you most likely haven’t travelled much. I don’t say these things negatively, but to highlight the option that before you move, you may want to visit some other countries first.

I loved England and the people there, but wasn’t fond of the food. Things like this you won’t find in a book, only by visiting. I also notice you only mention countries where some form of English is spoken. Do you really want a change of culture, or just a change of geography?

In any event, I’m merely trying to say ‘look before you leap’. I hope you the very best in whatever you decide. Odds are if you move it won’t be your last move. Explore this great big world. I believe it was Mark Twain who said something like, “The world is like a book, and people who don’t travel only get to read one page.”

This is a really nice post. Consider yourself fortunate to have done so much traveling, and especially for having had the opportunity to actually live in so many countries! That's a quite different experience than just passing through as a tourist.

It's also clear that we share a common share perspective on many of the issues that others have raised in this thread, namely that:

1. Most people in most places that I've been to tend to have enough sense to judge people for who and what they are, rather than by simply making quick, stereotypical assumptions about them based on their nationality.

Sure, you will find some anti-America(n) sentiments nearly everywhere you go. It's stronger in some places than it is in others, but you don't have to answer for an entire nation; only for yourself. For the most part, I like the people I meet when I travel, and for the most part, they seem to like me. Really no different than when I'm in the US.

2. Deciding to "leave" the US isn't necessarily a vote against the US. I know it wasn't for me! I love the US (warts and all) but I also love it here in the Cayman Islands. The weather is MUCH nicer than anywhere I lived in the US prior to moving to Cayman 13 years ago (I'd lived in 6 different states as a fully emancipated adult), and of course it's always nice to be within 5 minutes of the sea no matter where you're at. Plus, the women here are much darker and more relaxed (on average), both of which are qualities I've grown to admire!

I'm a permanent resident here now and will eventually be granted full citizenship. But I'm still a US citizen and will never renounce. I'm as proud as ever to be an American. No, I don't like everything about the US. But I don't like everything about Cayman either. So in my case, it wasn't/isn't a matter of "leaving" the US, because at this point my time is more or less evenly split between Cayman (fall and winter) and the US (spring and summer). When it gets too hot in Cayman, I get out; when it gets too cold in the US, I come back! Best of both worlds.

3. It's all about options, and look before you leap. I really like that part of Justin's advice. There is a TON of really cool stuff to see and do in the US, if only you are willing to: a) look, b) make time for it, and c) make travel a priority in your life. Of course, it's an extremely tough economy and most people don't have much time or money on their hands, but if there is a will there is a way! Get out to the national parks! The US has some of the most beautiful topography you'll find anywhere in the world, and great cities with zillions of things to do and experience as well. I've been to over 40 states during the past two years alone. But I love the time I get to occasionally spend in Europe as well (I'm going to Monaco and then Paris in a couple of weeks).

Choices are good things. If you can do so (in any way, shape, or form), I'd strongly suggest that you use your career as a vehicle for travel. I'm glad I did this, even within the US. I was always looking for college teaching jobs in different states. Every place you go offers different experiences and new perspectives. Mississippi isn't Minnesota isn't Maine isn't Montana, and that's just some of the M states! But in order to do this, you'll have to work hard at whatever it is that you do, such that your services will be valued and you'll be likely to get the opportunities.

For those who continue to insist on blaming the US (or whatever their home country happens to be) for their lot in life, my advice is to look within to see what you can change about yourself such that you'll have every chance to succeed. No matter where you're from and no matter where you go in the world, there will be plenty of successful people (no matter how you measure success) to emulate. Surround yourself with them, and don't pay attention to the losers or those who'll try to drag you down. Sometimes it's just a matter of raising your hand and saying, "I can do the job" and really believing that you can. All else will follow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back