Thinking about getting a vintage Thorens
Mar 23, 2007 at 2:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

J-Pak

Headphoneus Supremus
I've done quite a bit of searching and I think I could be happy with a vintage Thorens as my first turntable. The reason is I've read that they're very musical and later on if I wanted to upgrade the Sondek has a similar house sound that would be a nice upgrade.

From what I've read on a British hifi site and The Analog Depot a TD150 or TD160 MKII would be really good. With the TD165 or TD166 being more economical. As for tweaks and upgrades most recommend replacing the belt if you're buying from someone that doesn't know its history. I've only read about one recommendation and that was getting a Linn dealer to replace it with a Linn belt.

I called the only vinyl store I know close to me and they said that they could replace the belt with something they have on hand.

Is the TD150/160 arm about the equivalent of an RB300 in terms of performance? Are there any other major upgrades or repairs I might want to have done immediately? Any motor issues that pop up on these models?

As far as time frame, I'm not in any hurry closer to summer is probably more of a reality. Also aside from ebay is there anywhere else I should look? Thanks.

Mar 23, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #2 of 13
I'm not familiar with Thorens decks, however, don't limit yourself to looking on eBay. There are a number of Thorens decks for sale over at Audiogon. I've bought 4 or 5 things there and have been happy with the transactions.

Also, keep an eye on Craigslist. This beauty is going for $200 just a few miles from me:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/ele/297421650.html

Mar 23, 2007 at 10:42 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the TD150/160 arm about the equivalent of an RB300 in terms of performance? Are there any other major upgrades or repairs I might want to have done immediately? Any motor issues that pop up on these models?

The Thorens arms on the TD150/160 vary quite a bit over the production run of around 30 years for these decks. If you want to stick with the stock Thorens tonearm the TD150 MII or TD160 Super have the best tonearms Thorens made, definitely upto scratch with the Rega arms.
Otherwise the best course of action is to put a Linn LVX arm on there. That way it matters less which varient you go for. You will commonly find these decks with older SME arms as well, as they were sold both with and without arms.
Read more about it here http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/hfw/olde...renstd150.html

Mar 23, 2007 at 2:10 PM Post #4 of 13
memepool: Uhm, as far as I know, the TD160 Super came without arm, anyway (...not only from my own memory as ex-owner (I've put a Grace G707 on mine, which I got used for 100 DM, while the new table itself was some 700 DM and the Yamaha MC-505 some 400 DM...) - Thorens-Info claims the same). The TD150 MkII had the TP13a (aka "ball arm"), which has a good reputation (I've never heard one of these, though - but it looks unique for sure
wink.gif
).

J-Pak: I'd suggest to avoid the TD150 (initial version, Mk nothing) with the TP13 arm. Also, you'd probably better avoid all of the very light Thorens arms (ca. 7.5 g effective mass) like the TP16II/III, TP11II/III, as you'll nowadays have a hard time to find nice high-compliance cartridges for these arms.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Mar 23, 2007 at 2:55 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini /img/forum/go_quote.gif
memepool: Uhm, as far as I know, the TD160 Super came without arm, anyway

I always see them with a Thorens badged Rega RB250 which they called TP25 or TP250 or something so I thought that was stock. Maybe in the UK only...

Did your TD160S have a less springy supsension than the lesser versions as I didn't think the RB250 worked on my old TD160BC well at all. It put too much strain on the suspension.

As far as high compliance carts go there is the Shure V15III with JICO SAS stylus.

Mar 23, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #6 of 13
meme: I'm not sure about the subchassis springs themselves, but at least it got some special damping (and I believe that also made it better geared to heavier arms - though it certainly didn't lack a large helping of springiness with the G707, nevertheless
smily_headphones1.gif
) - and then mat and plinth were thicker and higher quality, the bearing was stronger and the lid had better hinges (all compared to the TD160IIBC it was based on). However, what I really miss today is neither table, nor arm - but that bloody Yamaha MC-505: That thingy was extremely neutral in a good sense and highly resolving, but not the least brittle, and provided excellent imaging... If Yamaha still sold that cartridge today for some 300 Euro, I'd instantly buy three, even if I was completely broke. Probably.
wink.gif

Grinnings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: Of course, I'd slap one of those Yamahas on my Dual CS505-4 and would call it the Anti-Rega!
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 23, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #9 of 13
The rule of thumb as noted is that tonearms that work well on the Linn tables will also work on the Thorens tables.Most seem to agree that unipivots also work on these tables as well.I would generally recommend the more aggressive Audio Technica cartridges over the more polite Shures with any of the stock tonearms due to the old style wiring.The Shures are good but most of the people I know who really love them pretty much insist that their tonearms need to be rewired to get the most out of them.In other words,Shure cartridges seem to be very wiring sensitive.My Thorens TD-160 has given me reliable service since the mid 70s and my entire record collection is in perfect condition with no detectable wear whatsoever.I have since upgraded to a Technics 1200 due to my bouncy wooden floors.

Mar 24, 2007 at 8:01 AM Post #10 of 13
Just my 2 cents. I used to be a Thorens dealer. I love the 125.I think the 160 is a toy in comparison.

Mar 24, 2007 at 10:31 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just my 2 cents. I used to be a Thorens dealer. I love the 125.I think the 160 is a toy in comparison.

I have to agree with you.A TD-160 is a toy by compairison although a toy with an excellent platter and bearings.The TD-125 is a tank.

Mar 24, 2007 at 11:03 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Shures are good but most of the people I know who really love them pretty much insist that their tonearms need to be rewired to get the most out of them.In other words,Shure cartridges seem to be very wiring sensitive.

I never thought of it that way, but it may well be the reason I never got the hang of the Shure cartridges. I always felt them to be a bit cloudy to my taste. A pity I gave away my high-end selection of Shure heads and needles, some still unopened
frown.gif
. It would have been nice to try out a rewiring. Thanks for the belated tip

Users who are viewing this thread

Back