Thinking about getting a HD800
Dec 2, 2009 at 5:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

joomongj

Headphoneus Supremus
I currently own an ATH-AD900 and an AH-D2000 atm w/ Auzentech Prelude soundcard. I am happy w/ the performance I'm getting w/ these cans but I'm always on the lookout for a different pair of cans. So rather than spending a few hundred bucks every few months on cheaper cans, I feel I'm better off contemplating one expensive pair (HD800 in particular), and as you can see this will be quite a big jump. A couple of questions I'd like to ask you audio folks - how much marginal performance gain can I expect, say, going from AD900 to HD800? The price ratio is 4.67:1 approximately, so how much distinguishable performance difference can I expect? Not exactly sure how much better it will be if I spend as much as 5 times on a pair of cans. Performance difference probably won't be at least 4 times, but will I at least be able to say, "hd800 blows my ad900 out of the water!"? I listen to pop, classic, acoustic, new age, some jazz, lots of orchestral movie soundtracks, and of course play lots of games alongside.

Also as HD800 being a 300-ohm circuit, I probably need to get an amp as well. I'd also appreciate some recommendations that go well w/ HD800. I prefer that the amp be <= $500 USD, but as I don't have a single clue about amps and the forum on amp have some humongous collection of amps w/ prices going from x to y, I honestly don't know how much I should be looking for in an amp to go w/ HD800.

Dec 2, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #2 of 54
You have to look at what in your system that you can spend that money on and get equal or more improvement...if nothing the the 800s are next.

I have to say though this question is a set up for another one of those back and forth debates about the worth of the HD800s. Tell you what, I bought a pair and they aren't going anywhere...but then again i already had the perfect amp for them to start with, just had to upgrade my dac, which ended up costing almost twice as much as the 800s, so there you go.

edit-one is for sale on this forum, if you hurry you can save some cash.

Dec 2, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #3 of 54
I'll take your AD900's. lol

good luck with ur search for perfection. (and lighter wallet)
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #4 of 54
I haven't been an avid descriptor of anything headphone related before, so excuse me if any of this sounds "wrong," or overly simplified.

It's difficult to say whether or not the HD800 would be a tangible upgrade. To my ears, the HD800 is the most luxurious, wonderful headphone I've had the joy of owning. If anything, it has even given me a greater appreciation for my other headphones, in the sense that I can really understand what each headphone's sound signature brings to the table. The HD800, for me, has most of my favorite characteristics of the headphones I own;

The space/air/detail, if not greater in this regard, of the AKG K701s, with a smoother, not dry presentation
The bright, but not fatiguing feel of the W5000s, with greater bass quality/quantity (not to say the HD800 is a bass monster by any means, but it has the "correct" amount more bass to me to really bring together the music)
The transient response of the Stax SR-007A O2, and again smoother

For all three of these, I feel the presentation of the vocals in the HD800 is also better. They end up more focused in the mix, and so detailed it's almost like you're there where the vocalist was when it was recorded.

This is usually with the HD800s run from a Woo Audio WA6 with the pseudo dual power supply, which is a relatively inexpensive amp considering the quality. I feel it's a wonderful combination. I have a Headamp GS-1 in the making, and as most people who have dealt with Headamp (or even those who have just read about it) may know, that takes time. But I should have that within this month or the next, as I was told. I feel that may potentially run the HD800s better, but if I had to settle for the WA6 I wouldn't have any trouble, and I can't make assumptions like the GS-1 being "better" until I can live with the equipment. The GS-1 is often described as "wire with gain," and with a Red Wine Audio Isabellina DAC arriving to me within the week, I will definitely have the source for the GS-1's potential to be discovered.

This isn't to say the DAC in my CD player isn't worthwhile. But with it, and with the aid of the HD800 (and the O2), I've come to realize that there's a bass/midbass leanness and sterility in the onboard DAC that I feel is holding back the headphones from their fullest potential.. so that's something to think about. The source is a very key component of the chain, and the HD800 is very sensitive about the chain.

Thus, while an HD800/amp may be a worthwhile purchase, if you're willing to drop the money for the HD800 then you may also consider having a worthwhile source. As it sounds like you run off your computer, I'd consider looking into a usb DAC/amp combination, such as the Benchmark DAC1/Grace m902/RWA Isabellina HPA/more, but my memory's a bit shaky right now. You'll notice these all fall into a similar price range around the price of the HD800 as well. So it will be quite the investment. But from my perspective, I find it to be a very worthy upgrade, as at this point, I feel like I could sell everything else I own to better my HD800's synergy with my equipment. I don't intend to scare you with this thought.. again, if it hadn't been for the upgrades I'm attempting with my components, I could live with what I have undoubtedly. Even with the way I've recognized my CD player's DAC "shortcomings," I am still entirely pleased with what I hear, and there's really nothing stopping you if you can feel the same with what you have.

Again, this is if you opt for the HD800. There's always a whole world of less/more expensive equipment that will all have different presentations/colorations to the music that you may or may not like. With so many options, it's hard to really say item A has greater integrity than item B or vice versa, especially with everyone's varying tastes. But if you feel like the HD800 may be what you're looking forward to, and you're willing to take that option, I would do it.. the mental satisfaction alone from going with what you felt ("placebo effect") could be just what you need. I feel I may receive flak for that comment, but I'm no purist. I just enjoy music.

EDIT: For clarification, I don't mean that as an attack on anyone here. I don't think anyone would have the equipment they do if they didn't enjoy their music as well. But I feel that the HD800, even just to try it, is a solid investment because even if you don't like it, it's so easy at this moment to make back a lot of what you spent for it if it turns out to just not click with you. So if you feel it, and will give it the chance, by all means I would suggest giving it a shot.

Dec 2, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #6 of 54
Its hard for anyone to be able to accurately give you the distinguishable performance difference of your current phones to the HD800's to you. Only your ears will be able to determine that. IMO the HD800s will be a significant upgrade, but the phones are really only part of the equation. I have heard HD800 setups ranging from terrible to magnificent. Prepare to upgrade your upstream components or else you may very well have spent a large chunk of change only to find out that the "4.67:1 ratio" in the end might not have been worth it to you.

Dec 2, 2009 at 9:04 AM Post #7 of 54
Thx for the feedback. I continue to read further as I type. Thanks for your detailed, very informative review Clint. Much appreciated.

Dec 2, 2009 at 9:33 AM Post #8 of 54
i'm in the same predicament as you do. i also think that i should get the best headphones i could find that would suit my taste in music and would compliment my existing equipment.

my process of searching for the "perfect" 'phones continues having gone through getting a Ultrasone HFI-780 to a Grado SR225.

getting the HD800 seem to be logical (albeit impulsive) to satisfy my quest.

Dec 2, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #9 of 54
Hello,
This is my first post, but I'm reading Head-fi for more than 6 months, and the reason, HD800... I have background on Hi-end speaker systems, since I was 17 (now 31) that I'm a purist audiophile (my first 'car' didn't have weels, as soon as i got mony for a car, I bought a pass aleph amp & pre amp) just becouse normal hi fi rigs didn't give me any pleasure listening to... Having sayed that, recently my life just had a 180º and I'm living very far away from home and from my hi end system. So to feed my audiophile needs I just bought a pair of HD 800... feeding them directly from an Ipod... so as some say... if not paired, they will just sound like crap. I've listend them back home with my 10k cd player and a crapy amp (rega) they where ok... so if you want to spend a lot of $$$ in the future but knowing that you'll have reference class sound, go for hd800, if not, just pass it or you'll have a big disapoint... and your ratio will blow up.

Edit:For clarification I love the hd800, but they sound worse if you dont have a good amp, source, than a 200 $ phones in the same conditions (drived directly from an Ipod)

cheers

Dec 2, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #10 of 54
The AH-D2000s have an excellent reputation and are supposed to be very neutral headphones. Moving on to the HD800s would change some idiosyncratic qualities, like soundstage and bass impact, but the overall difference won't be huge. If you're considering making it your only pair of headphones I suggest you try them for at least a few days. You might find that they are a great reference source or you might find something about the sound that bugs you. To clarify, there's a decent chance that you might prefer the headphones you have now, no headphone is a guaranteed pinnacle.

Dec 2, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #11 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by anetode /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AH-D2000s have an excellent reputation and are supposed to be very neutral headphones. Moving on to the HD800s would change some idiosyncratic qualities, like soundstage and bass impact, but the overall difference won't be huge.

I disagree. The difference is HUGE. The HD800 is waaaay better.

Dec 3, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #13 of 54
I'd spend the money on a much better DAC and amp for your AD-2000s personally, if you like them already. All a HD-800 will do is reveal how crap your soundcard is and you wont get within miles of the full benefits it potentially can provide.

Dec 3, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #14 of 54
I like some of the others here really love the HD800. But, as the others have also pointed out, you will really need to upgrade your source and you will need a solid amp to drive them. Now, I can recommend looking at a Micro stack from Headroom. For a bit more(Sorry about your wallet, $665 for both) you can get a the Micro Amp and Micro Dac to pair with the HD 800's. I will give you the caveat that I have only heard the 800's with the equipment listed in my sig below. But I have owned the micro amp, and it is one fine amp for the price, and I have owned the HR home dac, which is pretty much what the Micro Dac is, and it was a very nice dac, and would a huge upgrade over your soundcard.

You can also grab your 800's from Headroom as well, and the best part is you can trial the whole package for 30 days. If you don't like it, send it all back and use the money on something else.

If you wanted to go the tubes route, you can look at something like the Little Dot MKIII, throw some warmer tubes like the Mullard 8161 in there, and grab a Micro DAC. Now your looking at spending $583 for the amp and DAC, plus another $30-$40 for the tubes. Still not a whole lot more than you were looking to spend on the amp.

Just a few suggestions. Good luck with whatever decision you choose.

Dec 3, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #15 of 54
There are some seriously divided opinions on the HD800s. They may turn out to be the bees knees for you or a terrible disappointment. Check out this thread.

There is a lot of disagreement about their sound signature, but it is a fact that some folks like them and some folks don't. You need to figure out which side you will fall on.

However, some who like them argue that those that do not have not heard them through the right gear. From my experience, changing source, amp, cables has never made me like a pair of headphones that I previously did not like (or vice-versa). That has been my experience with the HD800s as well. Others report more drastic changes.

As usual, it really depends on your ears. Give them a listen if you can. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back