Thinking about dropping iTunes+iPod
Jun 17, 2010 at 3:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

pez

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently was reading CPU magazine and they reminded me that Foobar2k 1.0 was out, so I went to download it.  I don't know what it is, but something about it sounds better than iTunes.  Of course it's all software driven, but it's just bass drums are crisper and the detail overall just seems a little better.  Enough to be noticeable over my new Grado's and even my floorstanding set of speakers.  Either way, I've been considering dropping my Classic for a Cowon D2+ or something that plays FLAC.  Foobar2k isn't my favorite as music organization goes, which is why I'm considering using Winamp, which I'm sure works with the Cowon players (not sure, though).  Either way, I'm asking for the opinion of the masses.  Should I ditch my iPod and go for another MP3 player?  If so which one?  Thanks for any input/opinions.

Jun 17, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #3 of 19

Quote:
I recently was reading CPU magazine and they reminded me that Foobar2k 1.0 was out, so I went to download it.  I don't know what it is, but something about it sounds better than iTunes.  Of course it's all software driven, but it's just bass drums are crisper and the detail overall just seems a little better.  Enough to be noticeable over my new Grado's and even my floorstanding set of speakers.  Either way, I've been considering dropping my Classic for a Cowon D2+ or something that plays FLAC.  Foobar2k isn't my favorite as music organization goes, which is why I'm considering using Winamp, which I'm sure works with the Cowon players (not sure, though).  Either way, I'm asking for the opinion of the masses.  Should I ditch my iPod and go for another MP3 player?  If so which one?  Thanks for any input/opinions.

Apple is a horrible company that makes products for the technically illiterate.  Jump ship and don't look back, the world is your oyster!  Check out the Sflo2 and Sansa products.  The Fuze is $50-$80, flat FR curve, micro sdhc card swappable, FLAC able, LOD capable and rockbox capable if you dont go LOD.  Some like the Sony DAP's also.

Jun 17, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #4 of 19
Hmmm just updated audio drivers and the difference is gone.  Though, I still will most likely consider switching to a new MP3 player.  I honestly am probably one of the few that still likes iTunes.  The synchronization between iTunes and iPods is my biggest attraction as well.  I used to have a Sony player that I would just pull my top rated from iTunes, convert it from ALAC to MP3 with dbpoweramp and then put it on there.  I think that's what I may end up doing.  I still actually favor iTunes, but features like the MicroSD expansion, FM radio, etc. are what has me curious.  The Sony definitely had a different sound sig from the iPod.  The Sony was warm and smooth where as the Classic is more cold and analytical.  I used to own a Cowon, but it's been so long now.  

Oh, if it helps, I use Triple.fi 10's and Ety ER-6i's with my portables.  The Triple.fi 10's and the Classic are just a perfect match IMO.

Jun 18, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #5 of 19
Bumppp.  I'm going to keep using iTunes, and I'll keep my shuffle for the few protected tracks that I do have, but I wanna look into a drag and drop player as well.  It would need at least 16GB's.  I'd be taking my iTunes 'Top Rated' playlist, converting everything that is ALAC to 256kbps MP3.  So...

-16GB+
-Compatible with Unprotected AAC tracks
-Would prefer a FM Radio, though it's not necessary
-MicroSD expansion would be nice
-Would prefer some more features (Not a Sansa Clip as I have a Shuffle)
-Probably around ~$150 as I don't know what my iPod would sell for.

Jun 19, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #7 of 19

Quote:
Apple is a horrible company that makes products for the technically illiterate.  <snip>

popcorn.gif

Jun 19, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #8 of 19

Quote:
I don't know about AAC tracks but have a look at the s:flo2 or the Cowon J3 or even the old D2+. They're all pretty solid players.

I was looking at the D2+.  It really had my attention, and then I saw the CNET look at it and realized that it's basically the same size as the screen portion of my Classic.  I have big hands, so it's almost a turnoff.  I've seen so much stuff on the S:flo2, but I can't find it anywhere to buy...where do people usually get them?  I also have my eye on the Samsung P3, but it seems people have really mixed opinions here on it.  I kinda weeded my results down to a D2+, Samsung P3, or a Sony E-Series.  

Jun 19, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #9 of 19
The s:flo2 is sold to the world only by mp4nation, but they simply re-brand the Telecast T51 which can be bought at House of Dap.
It's the kind of player that you certainly wanto read into before forking out dollars for... It's either for you or not at all.
Have you looked at the Cowon J3? That to me is a truly fantastic player.

Jun 21, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #10 of 19
I'm just going to chime in and echo what Hero Kid said: you should definitely check out the s:flow and the J3. The s:flo2 has better sound quality but it comes in at 16gb tops and you might have to wait a while before it actually comes to your door. If you're interested in it you should definitely read a LOT about it before you pull the trigger. 
Very phenomenal player though; I love mine. 

The J3 is also a great player with a microsd slot (s:flo2 has one as well) and good sound quality/enhancements.

Jun 21, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #11 of 19
I actually had a big interest in the Sflo:2 and then read that it has a 10 hour battery life?  It literally sounded perfect until I read that spec.  Is it really only 10 hours?

Jun 21, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #12 of 19

Quote:
I actually had a big interest in the Sflo:2 and then read that it has a 10 hour battery life?  It literally sounded perfect until I read that spec.  Is it really only 10 hours?

I believe it is.  I don't know how much more life you can get from modifying settings like brightness, etc.  If you want to squeeze out the best SQ you possibly can you need solid power which comes at the expense of battery life.  Its a simple matter of personal priorities. 

Jun 21, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #13 of 19
Yeah, it was just a total turnoff to me.  Well the iPod is being held for someone, and I'll be upgrading a PC part, but soon after, I'll be getting another MP3 player.  

Jun 22, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #14 of 19
Forget the S:flo2 if you want to play any AAC. It says supporting in the spec but not in reality.

The Creative Zen X-fi 2 supports AAC and will go up to 32GB. Or you can choose those Chinese MP4 players with Wolfson or Cirrus Logic audio chips. They sound similar to the Cowon with sound effect off.

Jun 22, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #15 of 19

Quote:
Forget the S:flo2 if you want to play any AAC. It says supporting in the spec but not in reality.

The Creative Zen X-fi 2 supports AAC and will go up to 32GB. Or you can choose those Chinese MP4 players with Wolfson or Cirrus Logic audio chips. They sound similar to the Cowon with sound effect off.

What do you mean in reality it doesn't?  Does it just have bad support?  Or it literally just doesn't support it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back