THINKING ABOUT BUYING SOL REPUBLIC TRACKS HD AND AMP
May 31, 2012 at 11:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Taharqa

New Head-Fier
I am new to all of this and I have been doing research for the past 2 weeks on headphones to buy for my travels. At first I was looking to get the beats by dre, but by reading comments and watching videos on youtube I see that beats aren't the way to go. I have my mind fixed on getting Sol Republic Tracks HD, I also would like to get an amp to get a much better quality. I have been looking at the fiio e6, e7 or e11. Do anyone have any recommendations of a good setup, I welcome all advice. I don't want to spend more than $100 dollars for the DAC/AMP......
L3000.gif

Jun 1, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #3 of 8
I am looking for some headphones that can play Dancehall, Reggae, and Classic Hip-Hop. At first I was looking to get Beats, then I read all the comments and I said no. My next choice after that was the Audio Technica ATH M50, I want to get these but they don't look like an outdoor type of headphones. I know the quality is suppose to be superb. So I guess my median pick was Sol Republic Tracks HD, I read good reviews on them. I know it's not nearly as good as the Audio Technica but I sure can wear them outside, LOL..
I am looking to spend no more than $150 for headphones(audiophiles) and I want to spend no more than $100 on a headphone amp, I am new so I don't need anything to fancy for now. When I learn more about being an audiophile I will upgrade. For now this set up is for me to travel with, in and out of airports
jecklinsmile.gif

Jun 1, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
All terrible choices. What kind of sound are you looking for?

Why? Have you tried them? :rolleyes:

To the OP, did you get to try the Sol Republics at a store such as Best Buy or something like that? I haven't tried them so I can't recommend them but seeing your genres I guess you are probably looking for a "V"-shaped kind of sound (i.e. prominent bass and highs, fun headphones...).

Here's a review by Tyll on Innerfidelity:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sol-republic-tracks

If you do get to hear the SOL and you like how they sound and how they feel, then by all means get it. If you are not taken by the sound, you might try:

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80
House of Marley Exodus (on-ear and if you check on amazon warehouse deals used, you can get them for $50 AN ABSOLUTE STEAL! --> http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B005FO2CBG/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used )
There's also the V-MODAs V80/M80 which I absolutely positively recommend (I also had the Exodus and they sounded very good as well!)

There are also the Ultrasone DJ1 Pro offering which again features that 'V-shaped' signature...

Actually there's A LOT of routes you can go on your price range ($150 down) but it all depends on what you want and what you like as it seems you are looking for kind-of-fashionable headphones.

So if you prefer sound quality, you can probably do better, if you prefer looks+sound quality you can look into other recommendations.

Good luck!

Aug 25, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #5 of 8
SOL Tracks are great for hip hop and the other genres you mentioned. It should be bought to your attention that only the e7 and the e17 are DAC/amps. The e11 is the best amp out of them, IMO, but lacks the DAC function. Seeing as you're planning on your rig to be portable, I'd say you don't need the DAC function. A great set up would be the Tracks with a FiiO e11 amp. 

It should be noted that the tracks DO have a recessed mid range. In terms of a well rounded sound quality, you could indeed probably do better. While I preferred the tracks because of the customization and style, other headphones will put out better sound and will benefit more from an amp. For example, the Koss Pro DJ100s are great but their bass is a little lacking. Use the EQ on the e11, and then the problem is fixed!

I can try the Tracks/fiiO e11 setup for you personally. My e11 comes in the mail soon, and I'll gladly give it a test run for you. 

Sep 7, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #6 of 8
I was recently introduced to the SOL Republic family and it was love at first listen. Both the Tracks family and the Amps family easily blow Shure, Bose, Skullcandy, and Klipsche out of the water. I have listened to them all. They are amazing headphones. They kinda get an unsure rap though because they are not a well known company so take it from someone who uses them. They are amazing. I listen to rock, metal, screamo, techno, hardstyle, dubstep, and trance music and they are absolutely perfect for it all. GET EM you won't regret it.

Sep 7, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
I am new to all of this and I have been doing research for the past 2 weeks on headphones to buy for my travels. At first I was looking to get the beats by dre, but by reading comments and watching videos on youtube I see that beats aren't the way to go. I have my mind fixed on getting Sol Republic Tracks HD, I also would like to get an amp to get a much better quality. I have been looking at the fiio e6, e7 or e11. Do anyone have any recommendations of a good setup, I welcome all advice. I don't want to spend more than $100 dollars for the DAC/AMP......
L3000.gif

If at all possible demo the headphones before you buy them. They were available for a listen at Best Buy last I went. For me, I could barely stand having them on my head as they were extremely uncomfortable headphones. I couldn't really concentrate on the sound quality, and after a song or two just gave up. Could have just been my large noggin letting me down though.

For stylish headphones, would also recommend going with the V-Moda line like someone said above me. The 80s are great if you don't mind on-ear headphones.

EDIT: Just read your post about your preception that an amp would deliver much better quailty. This is generally not the case, and especially in lower-tier headphones, I believe a good $250 headphone will drastically outperform a $150 headphone and a $100 amp. In my opinion, if you're new to the headphone world, go for the biggest headphone bang for the buck you can find!

Sep 7, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #8 of 8
Why? Have you tried them? :rolleyes:

To the OP, did you get to try the Sol Republics at a store such as Best Buy or something like that? I haven't tried them so I can't recommend them but seeing your genres I guess you are probably looking for a "V"-shaped kind of sound (i.e. prominent bass and highs, fun headphones...).

Here's a review by Tyll on Innerfidelity:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sol-republic-tracks

If you do get to hear the SOL and you like how they sound and how they feel, then by all means get it. If you are not taken by the sound, you might try:

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80
House of Marley Exodus (on-ear and if you check on amazon warehouse deals used, you can get them for $50 AN ABSOLUTE STEAL! --> http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B005FO2CBG/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used
ir

)
There's also the V-MODAs V80/M80 which I absolutely positively recommend (I also had the Exodus and they sounded very good as well!)

There are also the Ultrasone DJ1 Pro offering which again features that 'V-shaped' signature...

Actually there's A LOT of routes you can go on your price range ($150 down) but it all depends on what you want and what you like as it seems you are looking for kind-of-fashionable headphones.

So if you prefer sound quality, you can probably do better, if you prefer looks+sound quality you can look into other recommendations.

Good luck!

I purchased the Sol Republic Tracks HD a few mints ago and I absolutely love it, it is a little bass heavy but I already new this. The Mids could be louder but over all I love it. The review that Ty from innerfidelity did was on the regular tracks, I've never heard those. I jog almost everyday with them and they do not move, they are very comfortable to me. I also purchased the Electric Avenue PA2V2 and it sounds even more amazing. I recommend the Sol Republic Tracks HD's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back