Thinking about buying Grado PS-1's: is it worth it?
Jan 20, 2009 at 5:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

Lamenthe

100+ Head-Fier
Currently there are two PS-1 listings on eBay. One of which is already around $3,000. Do you guys think it's worth it? I've heard that they have amazing bass capabilities which is why I'm so intrigued. That and the collector in me loves having limited edition things.

I'd probably be better off saving that money for if a R10 or L3000 ever comes available, but it's still fun to entertain the thought.

Convince me to buy or not to buy them.

Jan 20, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #2 of 47
Voted for don't buy. I have heard them, and they are really great headphones, but definetly not worth their money imo. You can get much better (or more variation even) for that kind of money. How bout a really good stax setup + a good headphone + amp? Just my 2cents and 3000 dollars.

Jan 20, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #4 of 47
If you want them, you should get them. They're in very short supply, so the chance of getting a new in the box pair won't come around often.

Jan 20, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #5 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want them, you should get them. They're in very short supply, so the chance of getting a new in the box pair won't come around often.

But I see them on ebay at least once every two weeks. That's pretty often for a headphone that only has around 250 pairs in existence.

Jan 20, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #6 of 47
That's 1) an exaggeration and 2) irrelevant, since most of those were being sold by john grado, and his last pair is the pair that ends today.

Jan 20, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #7 of 47
Quote:

That's 1) an exaggeration and 2) irrelevant, since most of those were being sold by john grado, and his last pair is the pair that ends today.

I'm not just talking about ones sold by John Grado. :/
I really don't think that is an exaggeration anyway bud.

Jan 20, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #9 of 47
doing a completed item search in ebay, none return. That suggests that it's been more than 2 weeks since the last pair sold...

Anyway, if you want PS1s, you should get them when you have the chance, because they are extremely rare.

Jan 20, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #10 of 47
Quote:

doing a completed item search in ebay, none return. That suggests that it's been more than 2 weeks since the last pair sold...

Anyway, if you want PS1s, you should get them when you have the chance, because they are extremely rare.

I was rounding Grawk, it is an estimate. There might be 2 or 3 in one week and none in the next week. It's complicated, I know.

EDIT: Why didn't you respond to my PM?

Jan 20, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #11 of 47
Just plain no, over rated, over priced will ultimately dissapoint. Just because they ae rare doesn't justify the price for sq.

Jan 20, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #12 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by troymadison /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EDIT: Why didn't you respond to my PM?

Not sure what PM you mean, I haven't gotten one.

Jan 20, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #13 of 47
I would also like to point out that, if the auction is at $3000, there are other people willing to pay that much or more for them, so you would have almost no problem recouping 90 or even 100 plus percent of your cost if you ever decided to sell them. Don't buy them if they'll stretch you too much financially, but if you are in a position to buy them and you want them enough to consider them, why not?

Jan 20, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #14 of 47
The thing about the PS-1 is that if it IS your "sound" then there's absolutely nothing better out there and most likely never will be.

If you suspect it is your "sound" and you have the money to try, then you ought to. You'll certainly be able to sell them again later, even if you lose a little cash.

Jan 20, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #15 of 47
When the HP-2 and PS-1s were both $1,500 used. I chose the HP-2 over the PS-1. They sound great but are very colored, have excessive bass (unless you are a basshead), and now are "collector item" priced.

I am a fan of the PS-1. I just felt that every CD I listened to sounded the same. It adds it's own character in a big way to the recording. Very liquid sounding, but maybe overly so. No amp can tame the bass to a degree which I felt made it accepteable.

I also think the Edition 9 is about as smooth if your a basshead and it's much cheaper.

I think the PS-1 is up with several of the top headphones as far as refinement, but I wouldn't spend over $1,500 for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back