Thinking about AKG K501s
Sep 24, 2003 at 4:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

shymog

New Head-Fier
Let me start off saying I'm a total newbie to the world of good sound. My "best" pair of 'phones so far has been a pair of Sony MDR-EX70s. I'm getting rather sick of sticking stuff into my ear.

I'm greatly considering picking up a pair of AKG K501s. I've heard they're exceptionally comfortable, have an amazing mid/high-end, and are well worth the money. Problem is, I don't have a dedicated headphone amp at the moment.

My current source is my iPod. I figure I can stomach the EX70s a bit longer on the portable side, but at home, I can route my iPod sound through the line-out into my receiver/amplifier (some old Magnetbox thing), and I can run headphones through that all right.

Can someone please talk me into/out of this?

Also, I hate to tack on more questions but: If I don't go with the AKG K501s, I'm looking at the following:

Senn HD280
Sony Eggo MDR-DD66SL
Sony MDR-V6

Totally different class of phones, I know, but I'm on an incredibly limited budget ($150 or less), and I need to get something AT LEAST to use at home. Portability is a plus, but not necessary.

Sep 24, 2003 at 4:47 AM Post #2 of 16
What kind of music will you be listening to with them?

The iPod has ample power to most cans, but the 501s would definitely be pushing the limit. I wouldn't.

--Chris

Sep 24, 2003 at 5:06 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by hempcamp
What kind of music will you be listening to with them?

The iPod has ample power to most cans, but the 501s would definitely be pushing the limit. I wouldn't.

--Chris

A little bit of everything, but more classical than anything else.

Sep 24, 2003 at 5:15 AM Post #4 of 16
You'll definitely want to get the AKG K-501s eventually, then. (Mine are on the way!
smily_headphones1.gif
) Save up for a good headphone amp or an integrated/pre-amp with a good headphone stage before you get them, though. They won't be worth it otherwise.

I listen mainly to classical, and right out of my iPod nothing I've tried does a better job than the Sennheiser HD-280 Pros. The detail and frequency response are outstanding, although because they are closed phones the soundstage is not really there.

--Chris

Sep 24, 2003 at 5:47 AM Post #5 of 16
Well, having listened to the K-501's unamped and through my V2, I think the whole "these are really power hungry phones" thing is a bit overrated. However trying to drive these phones with any portable "is" pushing it a bit.

The Good: Well, I like mine.. heh. These phones can really draw you into acoustic string instruments, I was wowed when I got them and played some Bach, and they only get better after break-in. I can't really fault them on an overall level, and to be frank my source is currently holding them back. The phones are detailed, but not bright in an annoying "overdetailed" way. There aren't any portions of the audio spectrum that seem notably recessed or accentuated aside from...

The Bad:If you use the search function here, you'll find alot of comments about the bass lacking. This is fact. No amount of power thrown at these phones will help make the bass response more neutral below 50 hz. This being said, I dont find this particularly disagreable, although I do consider it their greatest shortcoming. The bass is there, but the lowest notes can sometimes be difficult to hear.

Comfort: Thats prolly one of my favorite things about these phones, the earpads are just huge and enveloping. No pleather to trap in heat and sweat either. Some have reported the nylon earpad cloth as being "scratchy". I find this not to be the case, if you have really sensitive skin you might find them disagreable. The pads are simple so that should be easy to remedy with a mod.

I think running the ipod through a home receiver will be adequate for the time being.I think I saw a pair for sale in the FS/FT forums at a nice price.

Sep 24, 2003 at 7:06 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Melchior
The Bad:If you use the search function here, you'll find alot of comments about the bass lacking. This is fact. No amount of power thrown at these phones will help make the bass response more neutral below 50 hz. This being said, I dont find this particularly disagreable, although I do consider it their greatest shortcoming. The bass is there, but the lowest notes can sometimes be difficult to hear.

I've noticed you use Gilmore V2 with K501.
When I tried K501 with Gilmore, indeed, I found bass lacking. It was so odd since Gilmore did a great job with RS1 in the bass department. ( might be the impedance thing )

The best amp that could bring the bass out ( and plenty and very articulate ) was with Emmeline op amp.

I've also recently tried with Naim Headline2 with K501.

No dice. The bass was totally missing in action. Strange, cuz, Headline/RS1 combo actually has a tad too much bass output sometimes.

K501, thus far, is very dpendant of amps to get the both bass extension and output .

Sep 24, 2003 at 12:15 PM Post #7 of 16
a little bird once told me that the 501 has exceptional synergy with the creek obh-11se, a rather inexpensive amp.

Sep 24, 2003 at 12:27 PM Post #8 of 16
It's not overated, the fact that the 501's are power hungry. I had a chance to play them on the Corda Prehead and was blown away by the detail, resolution, and midrange. The more power these get, the better they'll probably sound. I also experienced a lack of bass with them though.

I haven't heard them with the Ipod, but have with the zen, and to me, the sound pales in comparison between the cans amped and unamped. I wouldn't recommend them with the Ipod.

As far as your other choices, if you're after the amazing mid/high end charactistic, the Eggo's could give you that in spades, moreso than the V6's I believe.

I haven't had any critical listening time with the 280's to be able to offer an opinion on those.

Sep 24, 2003 at 1:53 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by shymog
...I can route my iPod sound through the line-out into my receiver/amplifier (some old Magnetbox thing), and I can run headphones through that all right.

As far as I understand, it's not your intention to plug the K 501 into the iPod, right? So if your receiver's headphone out has enough juice (of which the K 501 indeed needs a lot), it might work.

peacesign.gif

Sep 24, 2003 at 2:54 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by adhoc
a little bird once told me that the 501 has exceptional synergy with the creek obh-11se, a rather inexpensive amp.

Yep. Creek was another good one with K501.
Lack in resolution, but no shortage of bass there.

Sep 24, 2003 at 3:28 PM Post #11 of 16
I noticed that the other headphones you are considering are closed phones. The AKG 501 are not (afaik).

You might consider the AKG 240 Studio. It is made to be driven much easier (55 ohms) and is semi-closed.

I tkink the 270 Stusdio is a closed design.

Not to say that the 501 is a bad choice. Depends if you need closed or not and if you will eventually get an amp.

Cheers,
P.

Sep 24, 2003 at 4:23 PM Post #12 of 16
Several disclaimers apply (YMMV, IMHO, I am a newbie).

Bad News: I have been using an iPod for a while now. Recently, I bought a used pair of 501's from a fellow head-fier. The iPod cannot drive these phones adequately. It is not a subtle judgement call. There is not nearly enough volume.

Good News: If you amplify the signal from the iPod the AKG's are wonderful. Somehow they present details of the music without making the limitations of mp3 compression annoying. Compared to my Shure E1 canalphones and to my Alessandro MS-1's the AKG's offer a more realistic presentation of acoustic music. This may be the honeymoon effect but I enjoy listening with them much more with all kinds of music. I am satisfied using various amplifiers: an Outlaw receiver, a vintage Marantz and a very portable supermini V5.

$: I obtained my 501's AND my supermini used within your budget.

Sep 24, 2003 at 5:06 PM Post #13 of 16
Why don't you look in to the Ultrasone 650. Its a closed phone, highly regarded (in this price range) and in your price range. I personally prefer it to the AKG 501s (have both). I find the AKG a bit locking for my tastes, quite power hungry comparing to my other cans and not as comfortable. I have not done any comparing between the two and have not used the AKGs for quite some time while I use the Ultrasone every day at work so I'm working from memory. I only paid $80 for the AKGs so for now I'm keeping them around. I guess they are a fine can in that price range but not when I compare them to some of the more expansive cans I have, but why would I expect it to. Another animal is the Beyerdynamic DT 250-80 with out the amp or 250-250 with one. I only had them for about 30 days and this was couple of years back but I really liked it. This was before owning any of the more expensive cans. Sorry for throwing all the options at you
biggrin.gif

Sep 24, 2003 at 7:30 PM Post #14 of 16
shymog,

why not consider something like the Phillips HP890 (they're probably as comfortable), the Beyer DT531 (from what others have said) or the Allessandro MS1 (which is supposedly a grade up of the SR80)? Or you could just borrow a set of K501s for trial on the Magnavox.

Yes, the K501s lack bass. But they also present a balanced sound. That is very important. When I listen to Techno on my DT931s I can have thundering bass and bright highs, but there is very little life in the midrange. When I switch over to the DT880s, there is rounded lower bass and rounded highs (comparatively speaking) but wonderous mids. It takes my mind awhile to make the transition. What is obvious, though, is the soundstage. TO ME, the DT931 separates the two channels so much that I perceive a hole in the middle, whereas the DT880 expands the soundstage and meshes the two channels such that the middle comes to life, there doesn't seem to be a hard right / hard left / very little middle - middle in your head sound. Depending on the music I get a sensation that the DT931 sometimes "travels" over the top of my head, while the DT880 travels around the front of my eyes. The K401/K501 exhibits more properties like the DT880 than the DT931. The DT931 doesn't play compressed music too well, whereas it's acceptable on the K501. And while the Grados present a collapsed soundstage, the K501 presents about a 170 degree soundstage; it's easy to discern a real full left or right channel without losing a sensation of music in the very centre.

As it is, the DT931 are not foot tapping / air guitar producing headphones. Whereas some say that the DT531 is (albeit with some limitations).

You have plenty of time to enjoy your tunes. Just take it easy and trade up as you go. If it's all experimentation, try buying some used headphones. You'll be able to recoop most of your investment should you decide to sell them.

Are you sensitive to highs or lows? What I mean is, do you want earth shaking bass but not shrieking highs? Or do you want pristine highs and acceptable tight bass? [This could explain why there is a CD3000 / HD600 ongoing war]. I doubt that anyone can listen to the DT931s for hours at a time - they just produce too much high frequency energy. I've been modifying mine and do not have the right combination, yet. My head can rattle from the bass, but my ears ring from the highs. My modified SR80s are much more pleasing, to me, now.

See if someone (fellow Head-FI community member) has a few headphones that he will let you listen to.

Sep 24, 2003 at 7:49 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
shymog,

why not consider something like the Phillips HP890

I like bright, detailed highs, but not fingernail-on-blackboard highs. I do enjoy a nice, tight low end (am I talking about 'phones?)... can you give me information on the Philips HP890? Additionally, I'm not finding a place online that sells them -- can anyone help me out here? I live in the US, so purchasing in the US is preferable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back