Thinking about a K1000 amp around $200
Jun 20, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #4 of 15
A vintage Marantz speaker amplifier (from the 1970 era) will compete with any uber-expensive headphone amp for the K1000.

And there is an explanation to this.

a) those Marantz amps were the best speaker amps (reasonable) money could buy at that time (and at anytime, I would say).

b) the K1000 were designed not for being used with a dedicated headphone amp, but to be connected to the terminals of a SPEAKER amp.

a & b => QED
k1000smile.gif

Jun 20, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm running mine through a glite while I wait for a GS-X. It works in a pinch...

How's the sound with the gilmore lite? Since that's the amp I will be using for the time being

Jun 20, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #8 of 15
Run it off a vintage receiver or an older power amp. Sometimes, you can find a Carver, NAD, Bryston, or others under $200. The K-1000 was designed to run off a power amp, after all.

Currently, I run them from a Conrad-Johnson MV-52, and (sooner or later) will turn a pile of parts into Millett's ECC99 amp he designed for the K-1000. I have the parts but not the time. Sigh.

Jun 21, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by troymadison /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I am unoriginal, but I just went with the Big Joe.

Thats probably not a bad choice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Let us know what you think of the combination..

Jun 21, 2008 at 1:22 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A vintage Marantz speaker amplifier (from the 1970 era) will compete with any uber-expensive headphone amp for the K1000.

And there is an explanation to this.

a) those Marantz amps were the best speaker amps (reasonable) money could buy at that time (and at anytime, I would say).

b) the K1000 were designed not for being used with a dedicated headphone amp, but to be connected to the terminals of a SPEAKER amp.

a & b => QED
k1000smile.gif

Some things are difficult for me to find in Japan, but inexpensive manufacturer-refurbished vintage amps (Marantz, Luxman) can easily be found. Any specific suggestions? I am using a Leben CS300 at the moment and it sounds fabulous but I would be curious to try it with something else.

Jun 23, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #12 of 15
sony str-de835 or similar..you can find one for 100-150 on ebay...lots of power.k1000 sounds very dynamic with this amp.
Unfortunately ,every time you improve your frontend you'll hear it thru the k1000's.....it gets addicting.That's why I'm using the CARY 805c amp with mine.

Jun 23, 2008 at 1:15 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gu Sensei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some things are difficult for me to find in Japan, but inexpensive manufacturer-refurbished vintage amps (Marantz, Luxman) can easily be found. Any specific suggestions? I am using a Leben CS300 at the moment and it sounds fabulous but I would be curious to try it with something else.

Check this: Marantz's Legendary Audio Classics - The Collector's Pages

I myself have a 2285 receiver, it sounds fabulous with the K1000.

I would say you can't go wrong with any model of integrated amp or receiver listed there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back