Think without Language?
Aug 4, 2007 at 7:26 AM Post #16 of 33
Then again, this argument only exists because of a flaw in language.

Think about it. The process of thought is actually when you experience something through sensory system (or it can be reaction from a different thought, but orginates from outside influence) so whenever there is an outside determinant, our brain will process it and mix and match it against previous experiences, thus recognizing the most suitable action. Note: Most often all of this happens behind the scenes, every single second of our lives.

How can we be aware of our own conciousness? The reason is language.

Perhaps language - worded thought - IS conciousness?

Aug 4, 2007 at 7:27 AM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by FooTemps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, it is pretty easy to think without language in a way... but only for material items. It is possible to just visualize any physical form you think about. But I feel that once abstract ideas are introduced, language is needed.

You sure? Maybe our minds are limited in the abstract thoughts they can produce because they are limited to the confines of our language?

Aug 4, 2007 at 7:31 AM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You sure? Maybe our minds are limited in the abstract thoughts they can produce because they are limited to the confines of our language?

This relates to why people feel "free" when they are expressing themselves by some other means than language - music, for example. I can communicate with people on a totally different leven when playing piano as opposed to speaking, and I'm no slouch at speaking/writing.

Aug 4, 2007 at 7:35 AM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flasken
...Perhaps language - worded thought - IS consciousness?

Which brings me to another 2 questions.

What exactly is language?
What exactly is thought?

I believe these 2 would hold the key to the answering of this question. Based on my argument above, I can spot a probable flaw:

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron-xp
Premise 2: Language is a series of audible sounds or written forms of these sounds used to express ideas, which are the result of thoughts.

If language were defined as something which, as Flasken had mentioned, something which needed for the knowledge of our own consciousness and thought activities in our brain, wouldn't thinking be impossible without language?

If electrical signals within the brain, which arguably transmits information, is considered a language, then the argument would be dead, wouldn't it?

Aug 4, 2007 at 7:49 AM Post #21 of 33
if not language, something that fulfills the same purpose as language. my dad and i always joke about our poodle, saying things like "he knows the answer, according to dog ideas" and other such nonsense. really though, i believe he possesses some dog-equivalent to language. maybe you can call it dog language, even. i don't know. but for conscious thought, at least, i think there has to be language.

though this undoubtedly will run into the issue of what you mean by thinking and what you mean by language. my brain does stuff that i'm not aware of, is that thinking? do those processes require a language or language substitute?

Aug 4, 2007 at 9:31 AM Post #22 of 33
No, thought without language is merely waves of emotion. A baby is happy, a baby is startled by a frightening noise. A baby is curious about a bright color. The color is creating emotion, but the baby doesn't think or reason about the color. This is purely my opinion, believe what you like! :wink:

Aug 4, 2007 at 9:56 AM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do you play chess? when you calculate variations, you are thinking, yes? yet you are not talking to yourself in any language.

I am, but then again I suck at chess
biggrin.gif

Language is all about abstraction. Instead of visualizing the object itself language abstracts it to something simpler, which in itself has nothing whatsoever to do the the object. This is the true power of language.

Thinking is possible without language, but only in a very primitive form IMO. You will be able to deal quite well with the physical world and meterial objects - perhaps this is how animals and infants think.

But without language, can you think about for example justice? Philosophy? Can you hold an even moderately complex thought when you cannot abstract it down to manageable lumps?

Aug 4, 2007 at 10:17 AM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron-xp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If electrical signals within the brain, which arguably transmits information, is considered a language, then the argument would be dead, wouldn't it?

I love it. My favourite way of dealing with anything: Complete and utter deconstruction until only incomprehensible fractions remain!

You are oh so right though... The question is not that we don't understand or that we don't know, it is whether our physical being is at all capable of comprehending in any way. This would be a good time to link Richard Dawkins:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=0

Aug 4, 2007 at 1:40 PM Post #27 of 33
I wrote a short term paper on this last year.

Aug 4, 2007 at 1:59 PM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's absolutely fascinating to think about. I watch my German Shepherd and clearly she thinks. When she wants to play, she brings the frisbee. When she wants to go out, she brings the leash. At the most basic level, she at least can associate certain feelings and urges with objects. The mere fact that classical conditioning has been proven to work on animals proves a thought-recognition process.

Yet how can all this be without a language? And if there is a language, wouldn't we have figured it out by now? And in a way, isn't interacting with humans in the manner of performing certain actions to communicate wishes/needs (bringing the food bowl/frisbee) a form of physical language?

I would have to exercise caution when talking about classical conditioning paradigms as thought recognition. Awareness is a very difficult thing to show experimentally, but the neural pathway for the shock pairing with, say, a conditioned stimulus such as a tone is quite well understood. Some of the pioneering work for those who are interested can be found in a reasonably digest-able form by Eric Kandel, whose work with the mollusk Aplysia in his autobiography called In Search of Memory.

There are essentially two circuits. The primary one that involves the withdrawal of a limb when you touch a hot stove, for instance, actually never reaches the brain. The circuit is completely self contained within the somatosensory experience (pain/heat receptors) to the spinal cord back out to the involuntary muscle contraction.

The second circuit is the one most pertinent to this discussion and quite interesting. However, the signal that travels to the brain in a simple animal such as Aplysia merely creates a sort of complex connection with other neurons in their nervous system. These so-called synapses (3 that I am thinking of most particularly) are subject to "learning" in that they can become stronger or weaker due to use. This is also the strongest candidate mechanism for learning in the human brain, but intuitively we know that the two are very different.

Where in the Aplysia resides the conscious experience? To what extent is it aware that something has changed. How far can it extrapolate in order to avoid such unpleasant stimuli? The whole nature of classical conditioning is that it will avoid that one stimulus, since it learned that it was averse. However, what about similar stimuli? What about other sensory interactions with the stimuli?

My point is simply that animals who are susceptible to classical conditioning (all of us) do not necessarily undergo conscious awareness/higher order thinking. Is that what we're talking about here? Or are we narrowing our definition of thought to merely neurons firing due to some external stimulus?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gautama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wrote a short term paper on this last year.

And! What were the (albeit temporary) conclusions?

Aug 4, 2007 at 2:10 PM Post #29 of 33
Read up on the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis and Chomsky's Universal Grammar. Current linguistic opinion is that there is a sub-language universal thinking ability, and that people don't 'think' in language at all.

Aug 4, 2007 at 3:07 PM Post #30 of 33
I think without language all the time. I design and troubleshoot for a living. None of that happens in my head with language. I visualize designs and solutions. In fact when I'm writing, I visualize the flow of the document before I can write (though that's getting fuzzy as I'm visualizing language...)

When I play chess there is no language in my head - it's all visualization.

If you've ever scene "Beautiful Mind", I thought they nailed the visual nature of the way I think. Too bad he was quite mad.
smily_headphones1.gif

GAD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back