Think...CHEAP! :D
Sep 4, 2004 at 11:24 AM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
I've never tried the Koss KSC-35 or -50, but as people here seem to put these in more or less the same league as the PX-Sennheisers, I guess the Creative will easily outperform these, too.

Ok, that's a challenge. A friend of mine got the Creatives cause of my advice, and I've got my KSC-35 ... let's see if I can borrow his
wink.gif

Oh, by the way, KSC-35s smoke my PX200. Too bad they don't isolate.

-Taurui

Sep 4, 2004 at 11:53 AM Post #17 of 25
Well I think you are better off with Sennheiser HD202. I have the PX100, KSC35 and HD202. As for the sound, i like the hd202 the most (but I listen to electronic music so maybe thats why.). Nice sounding highs, very nice bass, ok mids. BTW they are easier to drive than the PX100's for example (which have the worst sound out of these three. -ksc35's have too little bass for me.). Go listen, try them out.

And you dont want portable phones because they have too short cords (KSC35 and PX100). HD202 on the other hand has 3 meters.

One thing though... HD202 can be really uncomfortable after few hours (especially if new). Depends on your ears.

Sep 4, 2004 at 1:54 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taurui
(...) let's see if I can borrow his
wink.gif

Good plan - I'm interested how you'll like it.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Sep 4, 2004 at 4:51 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

I'd recommend to check the Creative HQ-1300 (aka Labtec Elite 840) - surprisingly good for the price (~ 25 Euro over here).

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

I looked up both of those cans they do kinda look similar. I found the creatives for about $29. and the labtec as low as $9.99. They dont look bad but you have to hear em before you know anything.

Sennheiser HD202, look good for $25.

Sep 4, 2004 at 5:03 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by BowerR64
I looked up both of those cans they do kinda look similar.

Yup, the differences are of cosmetic nature. It's no wonder anyway: Creative aquired Labtec a while ago. The thingies are surprisingly comfy (even featuring an automatic headband mechanism) and fairly efficient too, btw...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Sep 8, 2004 at 4:26 AM Post #22 of 25
I realize these are at the top of your price range - but damm these sound good for the money. The same sorta joy that I used to get from selling and installing really cheap Gardo carts 25 years ago - maybe not the worlds best - but really amazing for the bucks spent.
Downside is comfort - you really should try to wear a set of these for a while and see - very individual thing. I usually use a set of Sony CD-3000's which are both more comfortable and do in fact sound better ( Hell - they ought to for the difference in price!) - but I haven't heard another sub $100 phone that comes close musically to the SR-60's.

Sep 8, 2004 at 5:05 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ogewo
Comfort wise over extended periods of time I'm not sure ksc35 is the best bet. I havn't tried them but that opinion comes from using other ear clip style phones. Anyone have opinions on senn mx500s? 20 bucks, unobtrusive, decent quality, doesnt mind sound card...

no worries - ksc-35s can stay on my head longer than grados. so comfy you can fall asleep with em on.

Sep 8, 2004 at 6:30 AM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by cellophane
Hello,
I've tried quite a few portable (meaning cheap . . . wait maybe not) phones out of cheap and not so cheap sources. I found earclip phones, if they fit, are wonderful in certain applications, but if they dont fit, they never work in any application. I found over-the head phones to take a bit of getting used to due to the slight pressure exerted byu the band, but they give really the most consistent sound (fit) and dont fall off. The px-100's are very, very comfortable, and lack the harshness in the vocals of the Koss's. That means the highs and mids are nice, smooth, nothing really remarkable, but I found the bass to be great. Really, on songs that go low, these cans just rumble on you head, though sicne they are so small and light and open the effect isn't quite like a 770 . . . but it goes low just the same.
The case is a bit tricky but if you're a neatnik its pretty sueful and looks very cool. I use it to store my e5's when I am using the px100's.
As for the px-200, they fill a nice niche where you need a SMALL can with some isolation. They are the only truly portable closed can, but if you don't need the isolation, the px-100's sound a bit better as they are much easier to position on your head.

I find vocal's on Porta pros are not harsh at all. Its got a very warm sound, up front and energetic. The vocals on PX100 are laid back and weaker bass. The porta pros are good for a source thats lacking in bass output. On the good amped source the bass is very strong and can be overbearing at times and vocals are very smooth and even warmer sounding.

Sep 15, 2004 at 11:04 PM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

I'd recommend to check the Creative HQ-1300 (aka Labtec Elite 840) - surprisingly good for the price (~ 25 Euro over here).

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Your right, they are nice for the money. They feel really great too. They are open but not bad feel and sound. I gave $35 shipped for mine, ide say they sound better then the philips HP170. Both are good cans for around $20. price range. The Labtec Elite 840 have a better feel and clamp better then the philips hp170 but one is open and one isnt.

philips hp170 and the Labtec Elite 840 are both really nice "cheap" cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back