Think...CHEAP! :D
Sep 3, 2004 at 6:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Pirvy

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

i just started a new job and i want to get some sound over here, now keep in mind that the absolutely MAXIMUM budget is $25-50: 25 being much better thn 50
wink.gif

also keep in mind that the sound is going to be coming out from a humble PC sound card
wink.gif

are there any headphones (ideally open) in this price range which you can reccomend? i do have better headphones + amp at home (HD 600) but i dont want to spend money on stuff used at work which can get broken/stolen/etc

regards
Kurt

Sep 3, 2004 at 7:05 AM Post #4 of 25
If you're thinking CHEAP, Amazon will sell you KSC-50's for $16. It's hard to fault that deal. You'll get a very nice sound out of them, and won't worry a bit if they get broken/stolen/whatever.

For your $50 limit, you could hunt around for a used pair of DT231's. They have good deep bass, extended highs, and a cord that'll reach down to your soundcard even if the PC's under your desk. (Although they look closed, they don't have much of a seal.)

Cambridge Soundworks stores seem to be giving away $25-off cards somewhat liberally these days, good through the end of September. They sell SR-60's for $70 and Portapros for $50, so if you can get the $25 off you'd be fixed up pretty nicely for not much money.

Sep 3, 2004 at 9:17 PM Post #5 of 25
I'd recommend to check the Creative HQ-1300 (aka Labtec Elite 840) - surprisingly good for the price (~ 25 Euro over here).

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Sep 4, 2004 at 2:19 AM Post #7 of 25
I definitely think you're going to want to go the KSC-50/35 route (the 35 is better).

Sep 4, 2004 at 2:27 AM Post #8 of 25
Comfort wise over extended periods of time I'm not sure ksc35 is the best bet. I havn't tried them but that opinion comes from using other ear clip style phones. Anyone have opinions on senn mx500s? 20 bucks, unobtrusive, decent quality, doesnt mind sound card...

Sep 4, 2004 at 8:21 AM Post #11 of 25
DLP: Believe me, the PX100 and PX200 sound nowhere near as good as the Creative HQ-1300. I've never tried the Koss KSC-35 or -50, but as people here seem to put these in more or less the same league as the PX-Sennheisers, I guess the Creative will easily outperform these, too.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Sep 4, 2004 at 8:42 AM Post #13 of 25
Hello,
I've tried quite a few portable (meaning cheap . . . wait maybe not) phones out of cheap and not so cheap sources. I found earclip phones, if they fit, are wonderful in certain applications, but if they dont fit, they never work in any application. I found over-the head phones to take a bit of getting used to due to the slight pressure exerted byu the band, but they give really the most consistent sound (fit) and dont fall off. The px-100's are very, very comfortable, and lack the harshness in the vocals of the Koss's. That means the highs and mids are nice, smooth, nothing really remarkable, but I found the bass to be great. Really, on songs that go low, these cans just rumble on you head, though sicne they are so small and light and open the effect isn't quite like a 770 . . . but it goes low just the same.
The case is a bit tricky but if you're a neatnik its pretty sueful and looks very cool. I use it to store my e5's when I am using the px100's.
As for the px-200, they fill a nice niche where you need a SMALL can with some isolation. They are the only truly portable closed can, but if you don't need the isolation, the px-100's sound a bit better as they are much easier to position on your head.

Sep 4, 2004 at 9:45 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by cellophane
As for the px-100, they fill a nice niche where you need a SMALL can with some isolation.

Sounds more like the PX200 to me...
wink.gif

Grinnings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back