Things you like to see at a concert
Jan 21, 2009 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Sabrage

100+ Head-Fier
The other topic was just too negative for me. My concert experiences have been overwhelmingly positive.

-Audience interaction: At a Dan Deacon show I went to a few months ago, the artist turned off all the lights and told everybody to relax. Then, he asked us to close our eyes and slowly spin around. When the music started up again, he asked us to just walk in a random direction and "flow" with the rest of the crowd--it probably sounds weird here, but it was one of the most incredible shows I've ever been to.

-Experimentation: If I wanted to hear the studio versions of the songs, I would just listen to the album

-Energy: This is a little hard to explain, but we've all been to the show where the artists stand around and look embarrassed to be there and just don't know how to put on an energetic show (Wintersleep and Explosions in the Sky jump immediately to mind) Even for slower, mellow music, I still like to see an interesting show and have fun. A good example of a band with "energy" is The Mars Volta: Cedric Bixler was all over the stage during the (lengthy) solos. Climbing on the amps, hanging off the stage, and just acting like a maniac in general. I've found that hardcore punk bands put on the best shows in this regard (Ceremony
bigsmile_face.gif
)

Jan 21, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #2 of 17
I just saw The Mars Volta recently, and Cedric is a lot of fun to watch.. he's all over the place. It really seems like he gets off on performing.. Omar really gets into his guitar solos too, and Thomas Pridgen plays the drums with an incredible amount of strength and energy. Anyone who is a fan and hasn't seem them live doesn't know what they're missing..

I agree that it's great to see bands experiment and improvise.. it doesn't always work out, but when it does.. it makes you feel like you've witnessed something special.. music that will only exist in that moment.

Mostly, I just like to see a friendly vibe at concerts, and a tight performance from the band. Oh yeah.. and good sound!

Jan 22, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #4 of 17
My favorite band?
wink.gif

At The Vines concert the singer started going off and smashing stuff and knocking over drums. A bit childish and cliche, but it sure was fun. They had a lot of energy, which is also good to see.

Jan 22, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #5 of 17
Let me see...
* Band/artist I like
* Audience (other than me).
* Energy.

Jan 22, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #6 of 17
Energy, improvisation, and audience involvement (if it is the right kind of band). Animal Collective and Andrew Bird spring to mind for the first two criteria. They completely rework songs for live shows and rarely play anything closely resembling the studio version of songs. The decemberists pop into mind for the 3rd criteria. They have really crazy, involving shows.

Jan 22, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #7 of 17
I love bands that include the audience and give away equipment.

The best example of this is on the Black Label Society DVD. During the ending song they brought a bunch of people on the stage during one of the mid riffs (which they kept palying over and over) and Zakk kept bringing people on stage and taping his own stuff with the camera.

Then one of the guys asked Zakk for his guitar and proceeded to play the riff alongside the rhytm guitarist. THEN the guy actually proceeded to improv his own solo which sounded pretty good. Zakk liked it so much he dragged him over to his spot in front of the mic, led him play and then fed him a beer from his cup while he was playing. That was just so.. \m/

At the end of the show, and I've seen this on both BLS DVD's (still haven't seen them live but will hopefully in April) he gives away 2 marshall amps and 2 half stacks. He basically lobs them into the audience and whoever grabs then and fights for them, gets them.

Wish more bands would do this. It was an amazing thing to behold.

Jan 22, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #8 of 17
Zakk is awesome!

Experimentation and Improvisation is definitely high on my list. As mentioned before, I can bloody well hear the studio version at home and at a loud level if need be. Longer solos, solos that are not part of the song, different setups additional riffs, using lighting and the stage to go with the song, I also like a big screen in the back with footage thats meant for the concert, be it special effects, graphics or simple handycam video shot by the band members, it gives a more personal feel for the song, not just playing their music videos (thats just lame). Porcupine Tree did a great job of both, they had theme based visuals as the backdrop, and they had additional parts to songs that made it different from the studio versions.

Ofcourse energy is dependent on the crowd and the band. So before that I would like to be amongst an intelligent crowd, a crowd who knows the band and appreciates the music. Not people who come there to get high and get drunk and jump around and beat others up, some ppl may like that, I personally don't, I go to a concert for the music, for the band and because I would like to see the band play the music that I like them for. Energy of the crowd is not dependent on how crazy they are, if they "get" the music, know when to applaud and when to keep quiet and when to clap and when to jump up and down, that in itself can make a great concert even if the band arent at the top of their game. Again, the Porcupine Tree concert comes out on top, the crowd knew when to keep quiet, and when to rock out, it was amazing.

PA would be third on my list, numerous occasions where the PA just kills the sound by horrible levels and EQ. Also, I know concerts are meant to be loud, but sometimes, its way too loud, you cant even hear yourself think, Satriani was so loud during G3 last time it was ridiculous, you couldnt make out anything he was playing and he didnt help in anyway constantly wailing. Petrucci however sounded great with portnoys drums not being too loud. I guess satriani had to be the "loudest" since it was SFO, beats me.

The song list is another important factor. Yes everyone has their favourites and are left dissapointed when you dont hear the fav song. But a good mix up of songs is always a good things, and a song or two which is not there on their commercial DVD or live CD releases is always a good thing to hear. Opeth played "Wreath" from Deliverance this time and it was a pleasant surprise cos I havent heard a live version of that song before.

Jan 22, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #10 of 17
boobies!

Jan 22, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #11 of 17
Asobi Seksu are on hiatus right now. As far as I know, these relentless road warriors are taking a much deserved break from touring, and putting together their third album. But I have to share two ancecdotes that explain why I fell even more in love with this brilliant band.

The third time (or so) that I saw them at the Mercury Lounge on Houston Street in NYC, they pounded out their usual, deleriously great club set. As I was leaving, I stopped at the merch table, near the front door of the club, and picked up a CD of their second album, which I had already downloaded at eMusic.com. Who was sitting at the merch table, greeting everyone who walked up? Yuki Chikudate, their ludicrously talented, incredibly beautiful lead singer. She looked exhausted -- beyond tired. But she graciously exchanged a few words with me, and I left walking on a cloud.

The next time I saw them, they had moved up to playing the Bowery Ballroom. They were opening for Sareena Maneesh. I arrived early, since I love hanging out at that venue. I watched as the crew set up the stage, and was amazed to see the very same Yuki -- not a keyboard tech -- setting up her own rig. With a game face on for the ages. They played a great set, as always, but the image of her patching together her equipment and preparing herself for the show will stick in my mind for as long as a I live.

I can't wait for their next record, and the next time Yuki and James rock me and everyone else lucky enough to be in attendance.

Jan 22, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #12 of 17
Small venues and audience interation. I saw Electric Six in Tucson last November at a little club. Maybe 200 people. They took requests from the audience, interacted and stuck around to talk to fans after. How could it be any better?

Jan 22, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #13 of 17
i'm a big fan of surprise guest appearances.

a long, long time ago, another lifetime before the last one, i was at the 40 Watt Club in Athens, Georgia, to see a Robyn Hitchcock acoustic show. about an hour in, R.E.M.'s Pete Buck joined him on stage and played the rest of the set with him.

then, in between sets, all of R.E.M. showed up and played the first single about to be released for their upcoming album, a song called "Losing My Religion." then Robyn Hitchcock came back and R.E.M. was his backing band for the rest of the set. they played a bang-up version of Dylan's "You Ain't Goin Nowhere."

Jan 23, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #14 of 17
When i was at LP Concert..i saw 2 ridiculously hot chicks making out.

i like to see that.. LIVE!

Jan 23, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm a big fan of surprise guest appearances.
then, in between sets, all of R.E.M. showed up and played the first single about to be released for their upcoming album, a song called "Losing My Religion."

Oh man, I bet you had a seizure. That would have been awesome.

I really like to hear tangents, but not to the point where they're odysseys. And really awesome cover songs. Bands don't seem to understand that playing someone's song, if it's done well, is amazing.

Everything mentioned above also makes for a great concert.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back