Things to consider before getting your custom IEM impressions done. The perfect fit.
Jun 28, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #166 of 202
Just wanted to thank you for the information!  Even though it's old, figured it could use a bump for all those, like me, looking to get ciems.

Jun 29, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #167 of 202
Yes, I'll keep you all posted how the next reshell goes.  I just got my 2nd set of impressions done at an audiologist in Shanghai -the same one I used last time.  Compared to last time, this time I opened my mouth wider and attempted to actively smile for the 5 minute process.  He did each ear separately.  They didn't have bite block so I used 2 fingers.  The 1st time I opened my mouth a little bit but not nearly this wide.  I'm attaching pictures of me during the molding process and also the previous molds next to the current molds.  The smaller ones are the ones trimmed down by InEarz in Florida.  

Jun 30, 2016 at 5:28 AM Post #168 of 202
I'm about to get some impressions done tomorrow (friday).  Had my ears cleaned out and to my surprise there was a fair bit of wax in them as well so that was worth doing.  Checked and it's ok to have closed mouth impressions done so that's what I'm going with this time, as I seem to do better with closed than open.  I'm also going to ask for a bit of extra material to cover near where the cable sockets are.  I found that half the problem was that area.  If I took the cables off then the ciems would fit me but that wasn't much help!  I'm not a performer so hope that these will turn out fine this time as I've had a mixed success in the past.

Jul 1, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #169 of 202
Well had them done today.  Will get photos up later for anyone interested.  Had to have the left one re done as I could hear lots of air popping in the left one and wasn't convinced by it.  Did them closed mouth but not clenched.  Hope they'll be ok.

Jul 19, 2016 at 5:51 AM Post #170 of 202
Great post, with really useful tips for fit!

Just had my first CIEMs done and your post made a real difference to the comfort in my normal listening position (which as a listener and not a singer is different).

smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 19, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #171 of 202
I am getting more impressions done at the end of the month. This will be the 6th time I have had them done over the past decade. I find that I always have the best fit with open mouth and a bite block other means to bite onto to keep mouth wide open gives me the best seal with my customs.

Aug 4, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #172 of 202
Hi guys.

I never had custom iem but i am planning to get one (love the noble K10u sound).

But one thing that i wanted to know is how long it will stay fit on my ears before i have to send it back for re-fit? because some said that your ear canal shape will changing overtime as you getting older, so you have to get new impression for re-fitting your custom iem.

So how about your experience with custom iem?, does it need to re-fit every year or every couple of years?. Btw i am 31 right now.

Your responds will be much appreciated, thanks.

Aug 4, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #173 of 202
Hi guys.

I never had custom iem but i am planning to get one (love the noble K10u sound).

But one thing that i wanted to know is how long it will stay fit on my ears before i have to send it back for re-fit? because some said that your ear canal shape will changing overtime as you getting older, so you have to get new impression for re-fitting your custom iem.

So how about your experience with custom iem?, does it need to re-fit every year or every couple of years?. Btw i am 31 right now.

Your responds will be much appreciated, thanks.

There is some truth that your ear anatomy can change gradually, as you age, but, once you get into your late 20s, this is likely to be an extremely slow change - not something you would be likely to notice within 5 years of owning a CIEM.

Perhaps a more significant factor is some people gaining or losing a lot of weight. Or, if you are particularly rough / abusive to your ear canals, when inserting the CIEMs. The ear canal tissue is quite elastic, but if it is unwisely abused, there is some possibility that slight changes in the tissue might occur.

I understand that CIEMs are a big investment - let's face it; they are not cheap. However, I encourage you to not let ageing concern you too much about CIEMs retaining a good fit. As long as your weight, and your health, remains quite stable, a good-fitting CIEM should continue to fit nicely for at least 5 years (maybe 10), considering that you are in your 30s.

Aug 4, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #174 of 202
well , i had been a uni guy for 5,5 years now and ever since i got my first custom this April , i knew my uni days were over 
rolleyes.gif

from now on , it's gonna be custom-only , really the fit to any uni/tip combo i had does not stand to the feel i get with a nicely done set of customs 
cool.gif

i was reluctant all these years to do the jump from universal to custom fit , but now it feels like i am listening in a completely new level 
gs1000.gif

also , on another (relative?) note , do not use q-tips as they are the worst thing we can do for our ears

cheers

Aug 4, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #175 of 202
Yep.. I went from uni's to customs a few years ago and never looked back. The comfort, consistency, and isolation.. not to mention sq.. were just too good to want to even dabble with (most) universals (again). My frustration with tip rolling grew quite a bit, as well.

More recently, I decided to give uni's another shot and swung through a couple of promising ones (Andromeda and ER4SR) which I really enjoyed.. but I'll be traveling a fair bit and there's no substitute for a good custom when it comes to isolation (well, Ety can make a case).

Aug 4, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #176 of 202
Thanks for all the respond guys!

I am planning on getting impression made on this late month... hope it will be a smooth experience on my very first custom iem.

Aug 4, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #177 of 202
  Thanks for all the respond guys!

I am planning on getting impression made on this late month... hope it will be a smooth experience on my very first custom iem.

It can be a challenge the first time as you have never had customs and no idea how they should feel. I have always had the best experience with open mouth deep impressions. Inserting and the fit takes some getting used to. they will feel quite different and you might not be sure if you have a seal or not. Dont be afraid to ask us questions or ask the maker or your audiologist questions when you get them.

Aug 17, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #178 of 202
Hey guys i love you for your advice! Just did my second set of impressions and it worked out just great, with the professionalism and patience of the audiologist who listened to me and did it how i wanted it!

Oct 29, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #180 of 202
i don't know if this is the 'right' way , but i tend to just bite the 2 middle fingers (those next to my index) in line (not upside down) , when making my impressions and my fit is simply great in my customs 

it keeps my mouth slightly open so i can hear fine both with my mouth closed/slightly open

just my 2 cents

Users who are viewing this thread

Back