Things to consider before getting your custom IEM impressions done. The perfect fit.
Mar 16, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #76 of 202
  been using CIEM for weeks now from 1964 ears, i almost returned it for refit since i felt that the right ear is not as powerful as the left, in terms of gain/volume.
read, discussed with other ciem users locally, 

now i found out that its the way put it on...just a little re positioning and everything went well...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/684787/noble-audio-the-wizard-returns/4095#post_10554740

just a quick question;

do you guys use ear gel on your CIEM's? 

Very few people bother with ear gel.

Unless a person has unusually dry ear canals, or finds CIEM insertion painful,  they are (generally-speaking) unlikely to need gel.

Mar 16, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #78 of 202
noted all your inputs... thanks guys...

Mar 17, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #79 of 202
I went to get my impressions today; it could just be me (maybe I have super sensitive ears), but I found getting the impressions done quite painful (they did use one of those foam dams).  Did anyone else experience pain during their impressions?

Mar 18, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #80 of 202
  I went to get my impressions today; it could just be me (maybe I have super sensitive ears), but I found getting the impressions done quite painful (they did use one of those foam dams).  Did anyone else experience pain during their impressions?

If you experienced severe pain, then it is not impossible that some silicone might have squeezed past the sponge dam and contacted the even deeper part of the ear (maybe even as far as the ear drum). This can cause some injury, and is why I always encourage people to avoid the temptation of trying to do DIY ear impressions.
However, it is relatively rare for much silicone to pass the sponge ear dam if an experienced audiologist has used an otoscope to check successful alignment of the dam.

The above is a severe example, though.

More generally-speaking, the answer to your question is...  "It depends."

What counts as pain for one person is interpreted by another as discomfort.

It also depends on what part of the procedure caused you pain.

For me, when the sponge dam is being inserted deeply into my right ear, I find it uncomfortable - not painful, but uncomfortable enough to make me whince.

The inner ear is not accustomed to anything being in contact with it.

Also, when the impressions have cured and are being removed, there is a strong vacuum to the inner ear, and this is why an experienced audiologist will ask you to move your jaw continuously, in a yawning motion, to help relieve the suction whilst the impressions are being removed. Failure to do this can cause some pain in the inner ear.

Mar 18, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #81 of 202

If you experienced severe pain, then it is not impossible that some silicone might have squeezed past the sponge dam and contacted the even deeper part of the ear (maybe even as far as the ear drum). This can cause some injury, and is why I always encourage people to avoid the temptation of trying to do DIY ear impressions.
However, it is relatively rare for much silicone to pass the sponge ear dam if an experienced audiologist has used an otoscope to check successful alignment of the dam.

The above is a severe example, though.

More generally-speaking, the answer to your question is...  "It depends."

What counts as pain for one person is interpreted by another as discomfort.

It also depends on what part of the procedure caused you pain.

For me, when the sponge dam is being inserted deeply into my right ear, I find it uncomfortable - not painful, but uncomfortable enough to make me whince.

The inner ear is not accustomed to anything being in contact with it.

Also, when the impressions have cured and are being removed, there is a strong vacuum to the inner ear, and this is why an experienced audiologist will ask you to move your jaw continuously, in a yawning motion, to help relieve the suction whilst the impressions are being removed. Failure to do this can cause some pain in the inner ear.

For me, the insertion of the sponge was uncomfortable to slightly painful (I have a really hard time telling how severe pain is).  The worst part for me was when they injected the material into my ear.  I wouldn't say it was severely painful--although I'm not quite sure what severely painful really means--but it did cause my eyes to water like crazy.  Lol, I actually got 2 sets and it happened both times, so yeah, but I was continually moving my jaw which was what my audiologist suggested so the removal wasn't that bad.

Mar 19, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #82 of 202

For me, the insertion of the sponge was uncomfortable to slightly painful (I have a really hard time telling how severe pain is).  The worst part for me was when they injected the material into my ear.  I wouldn't say it was severely painful--although I'm not quite sure what severely painful really means--but it did cause my eyes to water like crazy.  Lol, I actually got 2 sets and it happened both times, so yeah, but I was continually moving my jaw which was what my audiologist suggested so the removal wasn't that bad.

did the audiologist examine your ear before proceding? it could be some infection or blockage that causing it...
mine was just a vacuum feel after that nothing much...no pain at all

Mar 22, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #84 of 202
I'm no audiologist, but have observed severe reactions to totally normal ear impressions several times over my 20 or so years in the biz.

A pain reaction, while uncommon, does happen on occasion, and it rarely has anything to do with the foam dam (which, btw, is totally necessary for safety of the timpani). Some people are just more sensitive than others. My observation is that it has more to do with air pressure sensitivity (more properly, pressure changes) than anything else.

I've also witnessed pure anxiety reactions. Those can also be stunningly severe, even resulting in tears. Sometimes, the two go hand-in-hand.

These things are not very common, but they do happen. It's another good reason to get your impressions from a qualified audiologist.

Mar 22, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #85 of 202
(and for another perspective.....)

It's an extremely simple procedure.  With them injecting the foam, the hardenind of the foam and pulling them out,  putting them into a box and me leaving.  I think it was about 15 minutes max.  It cost me $25.   I paid cash and was on my way...

No bite block.  He just told me to look normal, close my mouth and NOT to bite down or clench my jaw.  Hardens in 5 min, pull out and you are on your way.  Mine came out perfect.

DONT OVERTHINK IT!

Apr 8, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #86 of 202
  (and for another perspective.....)

It's an extremely simple procedure.  With them injecting the foam, the hardenind of the foam and pulling them out,  putting them into a box and me leaving.  I think it was about 15 minutes max.  It cost me $25.   I paid cash and was on my way...

No bite block.  He just told me to look normal, close my mouth and NOT to bite down or clench my jaw.  Hardens in 5 min, pull out and you are on your way.  Mine came out perfect.

DONT OVERTHINK IT!

Is there any reason why I shouldn't make an impression myself with the free kit that I would provided?

Apr 9, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #87 of 202
  Is there any reason why I shouldn't make an impression myself with the free kit that I would provided?

i cant imagine on how to do that...its abit challenging to do the impression on your own... 
deadhorse.gif

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #89 of 202

Sorry, I'm new :frowning2: I just got really interested in the idea of reshelling my IEMs.

better let a professional audiologist to do the impression for you;

Users who are viewing this thread

Back