thin speakers?
Feb 20, 2009 at 5:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

obobskivich

Headphoneus Supremus
so, I've got a bit of a dilemma with setting my 5.1 system back up

I have no space for the deep bookshelves I used to run with it, and I'm sort of missing surround sound for movies

realize this is NOT meant to be reference grade, its just to make the occasional movie enjoyable when I wanna throw back and do nothing for an hour or two

currently I've got a pair of Yamaha NS-777 floorstanders up front, no center channel (won't fit properly), and no surrounds or subwoofer (although I don't believe I need a subwoofer, or at least a "big" subwoofer, as in a simple 8" powered unit would be more than I need)

I used to have a pair of JVC bookshelves with 6" woofers as the surrounds, and a more or less identical JVC for the center (much older model), the sound was alright, the center was the most lacking in terms of clarity/quality (in the sense that it didn't tonally fit with the other four, not that it sounded awful to me)

SO
what I'm considering is a pair of Yamaha NS-M125P's:
NS-M125P

I have the C125 (got it when RadioShck ran some sale bringing it to $20 total (vs more like $65-$80, I have had zero use for this speaker thus far, its been sitting around doing nothing)) and it sounds fairly decent, and the M125's are basically the same speaker, just with the keyholes and grilles oriented differently

the only question/issue I've got is, how much adjustment/re-calibration am I going to be doing at the processor to compensate for the small size of these, compared to the NS-777's? is there any other slim option, thats not overly expensive (i.e: NOT the Bowers & Wilkins flat panel series) that would sound better?

sub-wise, how are modern "wife friendly" solutions? (the thin or short ones that you can hide under/beside furniture, usually packaged with soundbars) I don't need a ton of bass (the 77's are already somewhat overpowering for this room), just figured I should add a sub if I'm gonna tell the processor that most of its channels are "small" and to clip the LF off and send it elsewhere (i.e: the sub)

for reference, those 125's are about as big as I can reasonably go (could go wider, and a bit deeper, but can't fit the NS-333's that are marketed with this setup, or the JVC bookshelves I had), room isn't very large though, so small speakers *should* be no problem, its more "will these even keep up" with true 5.1 content (haven't used the big L/R and small C/surround since Pro Logic equipment, which puts most everything on those big L/R's, and doesn't rely as heavily on the other speakers)

::edit
sorry that this is sorta long to read

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #2 of 12
is there any chance you could do in-walls? that would open up a lot of higher quality options

Feb 20, 2009 at 10:06 AM Post #6 of 12
Thin speakers won't be able to reproduce much lower bass than 80hz, unless it's a fancy design with multiple racetrack drivers, and even then won't match slightly bigger speakers. So for 2 channel without a sub it may sound a bit thin.

Kef do 5000 range.

And those small little subs aren't very good. But in a small room you may not need anything great.

Quote:

sub-wise, how are modern "wife friendly" solutions? (the thin or short ones that you can hide under/beside furniture, usually packaged with soundbars

Not very good. A budget small little sub, is just going to be one noted boom box, unless one of the upper class cube subs (Velodyne DD, Sunfire etc) Especially what price class you're looking at.

Small speakers cope fine with movies it's just with stereo it won't sound great.

Feb 20, 2009 at 10:32 AM Post #7 of 12
iriverdude, keep in mind that even full THX specs (iirc) dont require surround speakers to go below 80hz, which is almost always ENTIRELY in the domain of the subwoofer

obobskivich, have you considered any other on-wall solutions, such as those from Martin Logan? they cost around 1/3 of a magnepan, and still sound better than 90% of the HT setups youll see

Feb 20, 2009 at 10:44 AM Post #8 of 12
I know that. I have no problem using "small" speakers meeting THX spec for bass response for rears or sides. But not for mains or center. There has been some debate that using larger speakers with 80hz versus THX sized speakers at 80hz.

But if you run in pure 2 channel mode, full range will be sent to the mains with no sub. So THX spec speakers may not be the best choice, if you use pure mode.

Feb 20, 2009 at 11:12 AM Post #9 of 12
wharfedale's bookselfs are thin, and can be found at some good prices right now. 8.1 maybe? or 9.0? don't know how thin they are and haven't heard them but the woven style drivers look sweet.

Feb 21, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #10 of 12
iriver I'm not using the small speakers for stereo music, they're simply surrounds for a 5.1 system, I've got a big pair of Yamaha floorstanders in the front of the room that handle occasional music, and stereo sources

I just wanted something to give me surround channels back

I've been looking at Klipsch's on-wall solutions, as I remembered they had a number of small little bookshelves, and the ProMedia sats came to mind, they sell them for around $25/ea as replacement parts (out of stock currently), and they also sell a wallmount kit for them, I'm thinking thats probably a better route than the Yamaha sats (as the Klipsch are more efficient, and sound better, they shouldn't have to fight the Yamaha's for prescence)

now its just this center channel that I have no clue about, I'm thinking just get the Yamaha C-444 centre and hang it down from the ceiling or put a shelf up on the wall?

will have to look at ML, but I've never been a big fan of their products (it'd take quite a bit to convert me)

sub-wise, I'm probably gonna have to go audition some of these "wife friendly" types, I figured one-note wonder was about all I'd be looking at (which is sad, I'd rather have low output and clean output, than boomy and loud)

Feb 21, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

I just wanted something to give me surround channels back

You could look at dedicated surround speakers, they usually have fittings direct to the wall, and are flatter.

Something like Definitive Technology BP-2X. BP1X's are about $100 cheaper.

Definitive Technology BP-2X, BP2X Rear Surrounds - eBay (item 150328120469 end time Feb-27-09 15:47:37 PST)

For center speaker you want to match your mains- from the same range, and be inline as possible.

Quote:

rather have low output and clean output, than boomy and loud)

As for subs is 12-14" cube too big? A good sub will have clean output, play low and loud with little distortion. If you need a tiny sub that really does limit your choice, the only good small subs are the high sealed box powered Velodyne or Sunfires (if you want a excellent sub) For smaller budget the BK (UK) have a XLS200 12" sealed box for about £300. For the US there's the SVS SB12+ I'd try and look for a second hand one of those, I bought one for £300

Feb 22, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #12 of 12
yeah the big subs are out, theres no more space for a proper 10-12" driver (or bigger), although I might just have to change that

center channel wise, I've decided I'll just bite the bullet and deal with hanging the thing somehow, and get the matched Yamaha center (has the same midrange loadout as the towers, same enclosure material, etc, so it'll match with these speakers better than anything else I'm likely to find)

I personally think Defintitive sounds like mud, especially for the kind of money they want, the Klipsch are proably the route I'm gonna take, because they're inexpensive and sound good enough (and they're small enough)

thanks to everyone for the suggestions though, really have given me more to think about for future systems (erik, I'm probably gonna take your suggestion and go with maggies some day, unless I can find some killer deal on the big Klipsch reference towers (what? I like horns...))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back