Thin membrane layer around Stax drivers.....
Apr 1, 2010 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jpancier

100+ Head-Fier
I was looking at my Gamma's today, from which the inner foam had long disappeared, and i noticed a thin membrane around the sators. I looked around online for a bit and didnt find any info pertaining to it, so I figured one of the Stax gurus around here might know. Is it just a "dust cover" or something? Or is it essential? It seems to be in all the pictures of the Stax drivers I found on wikiphonia, but its not an essential part of the electrostatic driver element, afaik. Im asking because mine seems slightly ripped due to the open nature of the interior of the Gamma's. It doesn't affect the sound, but I wonder if I should attempt surgery......

Apr 1, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #2 of 7
Yes, They are dust covers.

Depending on your definition of "essential" it is not
tongue.gif
you dont need it for the drivers to function. OTOH, when dust gets into the drivers they squeal like a pig.

Im not sure how I would procede if the ones you have are damaged.

FWIW, the Gamma (pro) are my favorite STAX perhaps after the Omega.

Apr 1, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #3 of 7
Dust protection may be one function, but from what I know the primary function is a seal against moisture – to prevent arcing.

Apr 1, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #5 of 7
excellent! thanks for the help. ill try the tape. its a very small tear, probably from my ear bumping the film through the opening. anyone know what the material is? im gonna throw some more foam over the driver covers, and rebuild the headband which was broken. i really like them. they're a bit brighter and more forward than my 404's, but id really like to keep from using them until i can get this part repaired properly.

clear scotch tape what you recommend, spritzer?

Apr 2, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dust protection may be one function, but from what I know the primary function is a seal against moisture – to prevent arcing.

This is what I have been told too. If the stat drivers are exposed to moisture they would fail not too far after..

Apr 2, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpancier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone know what the material is?

PVC or something very similar

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpancier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
clear scotch tape what you recommend, spritzer?

That would work just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back