ThieAudio Signature Series Tribrid IEMs
Apr 18, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #1,742 of 4,771
And is it really number 2 in your collection behind the Z1R, and ahead of Monarch or M9?

As I listen to mostly classical music, yes.

The 3DT is definitely my favorite IEM for classical music, especially symphonic works, but I listen to all kinds of music, including pop, rock, metal, vocal, etc. The 3DT is still my favorite sounding IEM, but I have yet to receive my Clair, so, we’ll see....

Apr 18, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #1,743 of 4,771
The 3DT is definitely my favorite IEM for classical music, especially symphonic works, but I listen to all kinds of music, including pop, rock, metal, vocal, etc. The 3DT is still my favorite sounding IEM, but I have yet to receive my Clair, so, we’ll see....
I will wait until you receive the Clair and tell me if you consider it more intense in the upper mids than the 3DT.

For me the Clair is too intense in the upper mids, and the graphics of the 3DT seems that it should be similar or even more. That is why I have not yet launched myself for it. I would use them exclusively with rock, progressive and metal.

For example you can try the song Ghost of Perdition by Opeth, to see what you think. For me with the Clair at high volume it is unbearable because of the intense upper mids.

Apr 18, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #1,744 of 4,771
Did you order the Clairvoyance? I see that they are available again for pre-order on Linsoul.
Looking forward to your opinion on the Clairvoyance if you indeed ordered them!

Apr 18, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #1,745 of 4,771
I will wait until you receive the Clair and tell me if you consider it more intense in the upper mids than the 3DT.

For me the Clair is too intense in the upper mids, and the graphics of the 3DT seems that it should be similar or even more. That is why I have not yet launched myself for it. I would use them exclusively with rock, progressive and metal.

For example you can try the song Ghost of Perdition by Opeth, to see what you think. For me with the Clair at high volume it is unbearable because of the intense upper mids.
Can't you just EQ the upper mids to make it more bearable?

Apr 18, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #1,746 of 4,771

I will let you know when I get the Clair, and have had a chance to compare them. I do have a partial Moondrop filter placed on my 3DT, to tame the upper mids and lower treble a little, but I can tolerate them easily in stock form, but maybe not at extremely loud volumes.

Did you order the Clairvoyance? I see that they are available again for pre-order on Linsoul.
Looking forward to your opinion on the Clairvoyance if you indeed ordered them!
I ordered it a couple of weeks ago from Headphones.com.

For me personally, I’m hoping not to have to use any EQ with the Clair, o/w I probably would’ve gone for the Monarch. I have nothing against using EQ at all, but I’m hoping to get at least one top tier IEM that I like w/o any EQ.

Apr 18, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #1,747 of 4,771
Of course.
I use the Clairs without EQ in 75% of the albums, but in the rest I simply reduce 2 dBs in the 2.5 - 3 kHz area, and without problems.
Along with the Mest it is my preferred IEM, I have had many and in the end I have ended up selling them all, but these 2 stay with me.

Apr 18, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #1,748 of 4,771
I will let you know when I get the Clair, and have had a chance to compare them. I do have a partial Moondrop filter placed on my 3DT, to tame the upper mids and lower treble a little, but I can tolerate them easily in stock form, but maybe not at extremely loud volumes.
I have tried a little Micropore tape, but I did not like the result, it dulls the sound a lot by modifying the tonality too much.
I also don't like its tonality with narrow bore tips, Final E or Sony type, which really cut down the upper mids, but the excellent tonality of the Clairs disappears.
My favorite tips are the Azla Short.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #1,749 of 4,771
Not sure if anyone's ever tried this combo, but..... Monarch + ibasso DC04 + xCAN + XBassII turned on = audio perfection!

Everything from timbre, texture, bass response, bass slam, mids, highs....is simply impeccable. No need for any added EQ in my opinion. Shoulda tried this sooner.

Also I would imagine the Luxury & Precision W2 instead of the DC04 would make it even better.

*EDIT* I also have an iDefender with external 5V power supply + Audioquest Jitterbug + iPurifier 3.0 in that chain as well but didn't add it in the list cos I know some people don't like too much stuff in the chain.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #1,750 of 4,771
Regarding Azla Short tips, I am currently using the stock transparent tips, it fits pretty well in my ears (I am actually running long distance with it and there is absolutely no issue). Are they almost equivalent to Azla Short tips?

Apr 20, 2021 at 5:06 AM Post #1,751 of 4,771
I feel like Monarch was the last piece of the puzzle for my collection.
I now rotate between Z1R (EQed) -> 3DT (Modded) -> Monarch (exotic cabled) -> Volt (EQed) and have no desire to buy anything else until next month
Did you sell IT07 and Mest?
I'm in love with Mest Mk2 that is my favorite and i'm waiting Tansio Mirai Land, someone said Land keep best things from Monarch and Clairvoyance...

Apr 20, 2021 at 10:53 PM Post #1,752 of 4,771
Ok this time I want to share my experience with Legacy 4 and Linsoul. This have to be said to be used just as a warning to all of you who are considering to buy a Thieaudio product.
I didn't want to say anything earlier, I've waited for the resolution to this issue and now finally I have to say my piece.

Lest start from the beginning. I've ordered Legacy 4 custom shell from Linsoul on 6th of January about few day after it got available. Even though I didn't hear uiem first I was confident I would like the tuning based on BGGARs review and also few others. I wanted to try CIEM and L4 was the priced ok and Linsoul stood to me as a more or less reputable seller with the track of taking care of thier buyers. So I figured why not let's see what this L4 can do and later I'll probably invest in Monarch most probably.

25 days passed I received them. First of all, I'm not sure but nobody here or anywhere else mentioned this, but the smell of L4 box is awful. I cannot describe it like some kind of chemical I cannot name it. I'm ordering lots of things from China and Ali Express and nothing ever smelled as bad as L4 no matter how cheap the item was. I thought it doesn't matter iems are important I can always throw away the box.

Fast forward 3 days into using them and A-B with some of my other iems I came to a conclusion that L4 is the worst iem I ever heard in my life. Especially when directly compared to the cheapest and nastiest earbuds I have. Just to put it in perspective Blon 05 is realy badly tuned iem I don't like it at all, but it sounds like a TOTL compared to L4.

Main problem was in low treble area, there was so much energy there it made them sound very grainy, hollow, harsh... I cannot find the right words right now to describe what I heard. Since I'm over 40 now I'm not sensitive to high mids or treble at all but that was way too much. Also apparently I have very good hearing according to my audiologist based on the hearing test I took when I got ear impressions done.

After 3 days I contacted Linsoul about it saying that the tuning is not right among other things... Eventually we agreed that I send my L4 back to them and they will test it. And if I'm right they will refund me 65%....

Again fast forward we exchanged several e-mails, from my side long emails explaining everything into detail and even sending them BGGAR and Crin graphs just to prove them that tuning is not the same. They previously have send me thier graph of my set saying there is nothing wrong with my set other than "slight difference" in the graphs. What? Slight difference?........ Further down you can check the graphs I'm talking about.

Basically thier response was:
Earphones work, our engineers have said there is nothing wrong.... We don't allow refunds on CIEMs, they even refused my suggestion to reshell them into UIEM and re-tune them right so I could use them or maybe sell them if I wanted to, they refused. But they allow free reshelling ciems if the fit is not good. Fit was good in my case just tuning definetliy didn't match reviews and graphs.

They refused to do anything for me in this case. It was like I'm talking with the wall. They told me they will send L4 back to me after I replied with if they do L4 is going straight to garbage. Which is honest truth I cannot do anything with them. 2 weeks have passed of course they didn't send it back.

This is Linsoul customer service my friends. Representative told me that he informed his colleagues about my issue and that this is company policy.... I don't know who actually was informed, or does Lilian knows.

May I just add after all these countless e-mails I was extremely polite, respectful and understanding that mistakes can happen. I was just asking that we together find a good solution for both sides. They refused to do anything for me even after I told them I had previously reviewed positively some of thier other gear here on Head-fi and other audiophile groups. After I told them I'm still interested to buy Monarch in 2-3 months as soon as I save enough money. And what ever I get from this L4 deal would help me.... In between the lines thier response was basically thank you for your support now **** off we are busy we have enough orders, we don't need your pittifull business 1-2 iem per year. This last sentence yes I'm exaggerating, but when you look at it objetivly I'm not wrong here.

I'm down for the cost of iems, custom charge, impressions cost, import tax cost (20%europe), and the cost of shipping L4 back to them.

You know when I will order again from Linsoul? NEVER. I wanted to settle down with Monarch after one long conversation with one audiophile colleague, he convinced me Monarch is worth getting... Sorry buddy that is not happening anymore. I'll invest into real TOTL like UM, 64 Audio, EE... Or whatever, Linsoul never again.

These are the graphs I mentioned earlier. Tell me please who is crazy here?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210403-155739~01.png
    Screenshot_20210403-155739~01.png
    123.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20210403-160057.png
    Screenshot_20210403-160057.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20210403-034513~01.png
    Screenshot_20210403-034513~01.png
    98.5 KB · Views: 0
Apr 20, 2021 at 11:09 PM Post #1,753 of 4,771
Ok this time I want to share my experience with Legacy 4 and Linsoul. This have to be said to be used just as a warning to all of you who are considering to buy a Thieaudio product.
I didn't want to say anything earlier, I've waited for the resolution to this issue and now finally I have to say my piece.

Lest start from the beginning. I've ordered Legacy 4 custom shell from Linsoul on 6th of January about few day after it got available. Even though I didn't hear uiem first I was confident I would like the tuning based on BGGARs review and also few others. I wanted to try CIEM and L4 was the priced ok and Linsoul stood to me as a more or less reputable seller with the track of taking care of thier buyers. So I figured why not let's see what this L4 can do and later I'll probably invest in Monarch most probably.

25 days passed I received them. First of all, I'm not sure but nobody here or anywhere else mentioned this, but the smell of L4 box is awful. I cannot describe it like some kind of chemical I cannot name it. I'm ordering lots of things from China and Ali Express and nothing ever smelled as bad as L4 no matter how cheap the item was. I thought it doesn't matter iems are important I can always throw away the box.

Fast forward 3 days into using them and A-B with some of my other iems I came to a conclusion that L4 is the worst iem I ever heard in my life. Especially when directly compared to the cheapest and nastiest earbuds I have. Just to put it in perspective Blon 05 is realy badly tuned iem I don't like it at all, but it sounds like a TOTL compared to L4.

Main problem was in low treble area, there was so much energy there it made them sound very grainy, hollow, harsh... I cannot find the right words right now to describe what I heard. Since I'm over 40 now I'm not sensitive to high mids or treble at all but that was way too much. Also apparently I have very good hearing according to my audiologist based on the hearing test I took when I got ear impressions done.

After 3 days I contacted Linsoul about it saying that the tuning is not right among other things... Eventually we agreed that I send my L4 back to them and they will test it. And if I'm right they will refund me 65%....

Again fast forward we exchanged several e-mails, from my side long emails explaining everything into detail and even sending them BGGAR and Crin graphs just to prove them that tuning is not the same. They previously have send me thier graph of my set saying there is nothing wrong with my set other than "slight difference" in the graphs. What? Slight difference?........ Further down you can check the graphs I'm talking about.

Earphones work, our engineers have said there is nothing wrong.... We don't allow refunds on CIEMs, they even refused my suggestion to reshell them into UIEM and re-tune them right so I could use them or maybe sell them if I wanted to, they refused. But they allow free reshelling ciems if the fit is not good. Fit was good in my case just tuning definetliy didn't match reviews and graphs.

They refused to do anything for me in this case. It was like I'm talking with the wall. They told me they will send L4 back to me after I replied with if they do L4 is going straight to garbage. Which is honest truth I cannot do anything with them. 2 weeks have passed of course they didn't send it back.

This is Linsoul customer service my friends. Representative told me that he informed his colleagues about my issue and that this is company policy.... I don't know who actually was informed, or does Lilian knows.

May I just add after all these countless e-mails I was extremely polite, respectful and understanding that mistakes can happen. I was just asking that we together find a good solution for both sides. They refused to do anything for me even after I told them I had previously reviewed positively some of thier other gear here on Head-fi and other audiophile groups. After I told them I'm still interested to buy Monarch in 2-3 months as soon as I save enough money. And what ever I get from this L4 deal would help me.... In between the lines thier response was basically thank you for your support now **** off we are busy we have enough orders, we don't need your pittifull business 1-2 iem per year. This last sentence yes I'm exaggerating, but when you look at it objetivly I'm not wrong here.

I'm down for the cost of iems, custom charge, impressions cost, import tax cost (20%europe), and the cost of shipping L4 back to them.

You know when I will order again from Linsoul? NEVER. I wanted to settle down with Monarch after one long conversation with one audiophile colleague, he convinced me Monarch is worth getting... Sorry buddy that is not happening anymore. I'll invest into real TOTL like UM, 64 Audio, EE... Or whatever, Linsoul never again.

Sad to hear that, but isn’t the CIEM always sound different to UIEM? As you know the tubing, angle.. always have a effect to the sound. And based on the policy the CIEM can not be return as well...
Maybe you would like to contact Lillian directly: l@linsoul.com

Apr 20, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #1,754 of 4,771

sorry to hear this :/ custom IEMs are final sale, always a risk buying blind....but i would hope they at least sent the IEM back to u, that's disappointing on Linsoul's part :/

very interesting u mentioned the box having a strong chemical odor....when i ordered the Mofasest Trio (completely different IEM and company), it had this awful pungent chemical odor, both IEM and cable. I washed both off with soap and water multiple times, but the smell still lingered. IEM sounded about average though for the price

one small note, with all due respect i have to poke a hole in ur story:

u said here: "They told me they will send L4 back to me after I replied with if they do L4 is going straight to garbage."

but then said: "May I just add after all these countless e-mails I was extremely polite, respectful and understanding that mistakes can happen"

doesn't sound very polite to me xd

but hey, i hope it gets resolved in the future. GL

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #1,755 of 4,771
IMG_20210421_105053.jpg

Well these just came in.
Unfortunately didnt get to listen to them yet. Only had time for a quick unboxing. Only thing I gotta say is these iems fits me like a ciem, it was really hard getting them out of the box. They really are in there nice and snug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back