ThieAudio Signature Series Tribrid IEMs
Oct 13, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #677 of 4,753
Yeah , i was also skeptical about burn in until i baught the IMR Opus Mia, i had heard a lot about IMR iems being subject to burn in. The changes i noticed during the process was huge with them . But i haven't noticed much difference with my other iems including the Clairvoyance after 50 hours or so ,i wad wondering if i should go on with burn in or not. That's why i asked. Anyway i appreciate your input .:)

Oct 13, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #678 of 4,753
Yeah of course there can be exeptions. And i would never tell anyone what they are hearing is not true. I'm just talking about my self and my own experience.
I will probably go on for about 50 hours.after that they will get regular ear time.
Yeah , i was also skeptical about burn in until i baught the IMR Opus Mia, i had heard a lot about IMR iems being subject to burn in. The changes i noticed during the process was huge with them . But i haven't noticed much difference with my other iems including the Clairvoyance after 50 hours or so ,i wad wondering if i should go on with burn in or not. That's why i asked. Anyway i appreciate your input .:)

Oct 13, 2020 at 11:53 PM Post #679 of 4,753
I dont believe in burn in either. I agreed, its more like our brain getting adjusted to new sound signature. Burn in imo, is a placebo...
unless like the qdc anole vx that can change sound signature by the switch. I already tested it in the shenzhenaudio store, the sound signature changed.

Oct 14, 2020 at 6:23 AM Post #680 of 4,753
Since a couple of weeks I have been using a Clairvoyance often, connected to both an iBasso DX160 and a Lotoo PAW S1, and from the first day it seems to me that its high mids are very shouty, and they are annoying to me, so much that I have to use the equalizer to reduce about 3 or 4 dBs in the 3 kHz area.

However, today I have tried to connect it to a laptop (HP Elitebook), and I was surprised that its tonality is slightly different, and that annoying peak does not appear in the upper mids. What can be caused this? Can it be the output impedance of the source?

Oct 14, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #681 of 4,753
if you connect it directly, maybe it didnt get enough power to drive it properly. The clair is harder to drive than the monarch.
Even with the monarch when I directly plug it to the ps4 controller, the clarity and imaging is fairly reduced compared when plugged to a proper desktop/mobile amp.

Oct 14, 2020 at 7:08 AM Post #682 of 4,753
if you connect it directly, maybe it didnt get enough power to drive it properly. The clair is harder to drive than the monarch.
Even with the monarch when I directly plug it to the ps4 controller, the clarity and imaging is fairly reduced compared when plugged to a proper desktop/mobile amp.

It has enough power, everything sounds right, the bass is very good even. Precisely what I am saying is that the notebook gives better tonality than the DAP (only with the Clairvoyance, not with my other IEMs).

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2020 at 7:09 AM Post #683 of 4,753
However, today I have tried to connect it to a laptop (HP Elitebook), and I was surprised that its tonality is slightly different, and that annoying peak does not appear in the upper mids. What can be caused this? Can it be the output impedance of the source?

Do you use 4.4 or 3.5mm to the DX160/S1?

Oct 14, 2020 at 7:12 AM Post #684 of 4,753
Do you use 4.4 or 3.5mm to the DX160/S1?

I have used both of them:
- DX160 and S1 by 4.4 and 3.5 with an adapter
- Laptop by 3.5 with the same adapter

I get the same sound tonality from both the DX160 and S1 outputs, but different (and better for me) from the laptop output.

Oct 14, 2020 at 7:37 AM Post #685 of 4,753
I have used both of them:
- DX160 and S1 by 4.4 and 3.5 with an adapter
- Laptop by 3.5 with the same adapter

I get the same sound tonality from both the DX160 and S1 outputs, but different (and better for me) from the laptop output.

Hmm okay. I did some quick tests myself and I didn't like at all what I got from my laptop with Clairvoyance. But I don't intend to use them with that anyway.
So my testing was like this: (my Clair is hooked to a 4.4mm cable)
Ibasso DX160 with 4.4mm: this tuning and technicalities I like, and it's my preference for some music, need to use more
Cayin N3Pro with 3.5mm (w. adapter), with vacuum tubes (mostly Ultralinear mode): this tuning I like, my preference for a lot of music but not everything sounds ideal with the tubes
Cayin N3Pro with 4.4mm solid state: this is good, but I haven't found anything that I would prefer to options above
Ibasso DX160 with 3.5mm (w. adapter): this feels a bit fishy, something lacking but can't articulate what
Cayin N3Pro with 3.5mm solid state (w. adapter): same as above with DX160
Lenovo PC from 3.5mm (w. adapter): this one I didn't like at all, didn't want to listen like this

Certainly would need more time and effort to be a proper comparison. Some of it might also be part placebo, but this is how I felt. Files were FLACs but didn't have same files across all devices. (also missing: using the DAPs as USB DACs)

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2020 at 8:15 AM Post #686 of 4,753
Since a couple of weeks I have been using a Clairvoyance often, connected to both an iBasso DX160 and a Lotoo PAW S1, and from the first day it seems to me that its high mids are very shouty, and they are annoying to me, so much that I have to use the equalizer to reduce about 3 or 4 dBs in the 3 kHz area.

That would be my guess, I doubt laptop manufacturers care that much about low output impedances.

Oct 14, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #687 of 4,753
I think it’s probably worthwhile for a lot of people with the Monarch or Clairvoyance to get a 20 Ohm impedance adapter, to see if they like the different sound signature. I like the sound of the Mangird Tea with a 20. Ohm adapter.

Oct 15, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #688 of 4,753
Just received my monarch few days ago.... pure bliss...

Oct 17, 2020 at 2:05 AM Post #690 of 4,753
I've been waiting since September 1st for my Clairvoyance order. Still hasn't shipped...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back