Thieaudio Monarch MKIII impressions, reviews, and pictures thread
May 7, 2024 at 11:52 AM Post #706 of 738
Its all down to distortion. Many people like the warmer distorted sound that valves (tubes) bring. Your Xduoo Link2 Bal dongle must be adding some kind of distortion, or some distortion is being added somewhere in the chain to make it sound warmer. So yes it is possible for one source to sound warmer than another, I was wrong.

Personally I'd prefer an undistorted sound rather than a source that is adding some kind of audible distortion, clearly its complex subject but in any case I'll go away now.
I've read the same thing elsewhere, so I'll say you're probably correct! It's just that this isn't on the FR graphs, so while @MarkParity was well-prepared above, what he implied in text isn't on the image brought as evidence. Anyway, I also prefer something with less distortion, but you're right, complex topic...

May 7, 2024 at 12:08 PM Post #707 of 738
Bought Monarch MK3 yesterday. I took them with regular design as it was the one I liked the most but I'm quite worried about the quality of the faceplates as I've seen huge disparities between them by looking for listings on eBay. I hope mine will look great !

It will be paired with a RME ADI-2/4 I found as second hand for 1400€. Can't wait !

Even if I heard that the stock cables were great, they really look odd. I am looking forward to change them, if you have any idea ?

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #708 of 738
Maybe this is just me, but I've been thinking about it recently.

I use my MKIIIs less than one might think relative to other IEMs in my collection because I'm worried about spoiling everything else I own by comparing it with "perfection."

I still use and listen to my Monarchs a bunch, but certainly less than one might expect. Sometimes it feels like taking the Ferrari grocery shopping or something... :sweat_smile: Does anyone else have a similar thoughts when it comes to their high-end gear?
Fwiw, the MMkIII is my only really expensive set, but I'm quite the opposite in temperament: I almost always use it over everything else I have. I always wanted an all-rounder set. I don't want to collect and fiddle and pack and unpack things for this track and something else for that album. I guess I also don't really enjoy variety once I know that something sounds "just right" with my HRTF.

The Monarch Mk III is that for now but I have a hunch that the Prestige Ltd might be the real deal because the Monarch can get a hair too bright at times, and while that's within the acceptable range for me, it's not perfect or correct, strictly speaking. It's also said to be a slightly better resolving, so there's that too. And while I really like my Studio4, it can't compete in sheer resolution, so it's always a disappointment after an hour or so. It's just not there. So, now that I have it, you bet I'm taking the Ferrari to grocery shopping, it is the way. :sunglasses:

May 7, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #709 of 738
Bought Monarch MK3 yesterday. I took them with regular design as it was the one I liked the most but I'm quite worried about the quality of the faceplates as I've seen huge disparities between them by looking for listings on eBay. I hope mine will look great !

It will be paired with a RME ADI-2/4 I found as second hand for 1400€. Can't wait !

Even if I heard that the stock cables were great, they really look odd. I am looking forward to change them, if you have any idea ?
Hope you'll love them. They certainly scale with better equipment.

I use the Dunu DUW02 Pro cable with them. It's a quality cable, as far as I can tell, the ear hook sheating is one of the best out there, but as a whole it's not as free flowing as I'd prefer, in fact, a little stiff at places. I'd also welcome cable suggestions for subdued, non-tacky, elegant ones. In fact, the best cable I tried is the plain black stock cable that came with the Softears Studio4. But it terminates only in 3.5mm, so it remains in the drawer. Where's Kinera with a soft, black 8-core/thread Litz cable with long 2-pin connectors when you need them?🤷‍♂️

May 7, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #710 of 738

I use my MKIIIs less than one might think relative to other IEMs in my collection because I'm worried about spoiling everything else I own by comparing it with "perfection."

I still use and listen to my Monarchs a bunch, but certainly less than one might expect. Sometimes it feels like taking the Ferrari grocery shopping or something... :sweat_smile: Does anyone else have a similar thoughts when it comes to their high-end gear?
I keep switching between my OG Oracle and the MMKIII nowadays.
Oracle should be my set when I travel......but they feel so fragile....and the build is crap...one of the faceplates fell off and because I did not wanted to bother to send it back to China...and I did a poor job... and I am afraid of breaking them for good.
Anyway MMKIII feel more solid.

Soundwise the Oracle do mids better and the voice is more forward... which I enjoy for pop/rock, things like Florence and The Machine or Nothing But Thieves ...but then M MKIII do everything else better :))

May 7, 2024 at 5:13 PM Post #711 of 738
For anyone interested in little EQ. (@MidnightSun )

Peak 180hz -1.5db Q2
Peak 14khz -1.5db Q1

It removes little midbass "mudines", removes little airines, so zinging is no more king of the show and create kinda balanced sound for my ears.
I like this and stock kinda same. Sometimes I need that high energy full sound. But I feel with that EQ you can truly hear that 1k$ in your ears.

And I can definitely say that they scale with gear. I had LG V60, smartphone considered best for audio, comparable to some 200$ish DAPs.
Was okey, but It had sort of "V" shape. I thought that was Monarchs issue. I randomly got Astell Kern SR25 to my hands 2 weeks ago and I cant stop listening since then.
No more V shape, little tamed treble, beautiful mids and less boom in bass. I think its perfect synergy. Im eyeing used AK SE200, which "should" be better, but I am not sure if thats the case now, as the synergy with SR25 is really good.

After 3 months of use, after some regrets, I really love them (since that SR25 moment). They technical level si really massive. Sound is very very good. Tips are JVC Spiral Dots best for me, second come Tri Clarions. Others that I had, Xelatecs, Final audio, stock, not that good.

Attachments

• monarcheq.PNG
    monarcheq.PNG
    310.5 KB · Views: 0
May 8, 2024 at 2:46 AM Post #712 of 738

Nope! Life’s too short and I feel limited enough as it is. If I had a Ferrari I absolutely would be taking it to the grocery store😁 🏎️ 🏬

May 8, 2024 at 5:48 AM Post #714 of 738

Peak 180hz -1.5db Q2
Peak 14khz -1.5db Q1

It removes little midbass "mudines", removes little airines, so zinging is no more king of the show and create kinda balanced sound for my ears.
I like this and stock kinda same. Sometimes I need that high energy full sound. But I feel with that EQ you can truly hear that 1k$ in your ears.

And I can definitely say that they scale with gear. I had LG V60, smartphone considered best for audio, comparable to some 200$ish DAPs.
Was okey, but It had sort of "V" shape. I thought that was Monarchs issue. I randomly got Astell Kern SR25 to my hands 2 weeks ago and I cant stop listening since then.
No more V shape, little tamed treble, beautiful mids and less boom in bass. I think its perfect synergy. Im eyeing used AK SE200, which "should" be better, but I am not sure if thats the case now, as the synergy with SR25 is really good.

After 3 months of use, after some regrets, I really love them (since that SR25 moment). They technical level si really massive. Sound is very very good. Tips are JVC Spiral Dots best for me, second come Tri Clarions. Others that I had, Xelatecs, Final audio, stock, not that good.

Cool, thanks! :v:

May 8, 2024 at 10:30 AM Post #715 of 738

Peak 180hz -1.5db Q2
Peak 14khz -1.5db Q1

I've put the first half of the PEQ on my dongle, not sure if it's working because its UI is a little finicky, and I never tested any gear for this specific frequency range, so while I'd like to believe things sound more open now, I can't just believe that. More testing to do! :nerd: The upper treble strangely didn't bother me, rather the upper mids/presence area and lower treble, that's where e.g. electric guitars sound sometimes a tad bit overdriven.

May 8, 2024 at 10:33 AM Post #716 of 738
I've put the first half of the PEQ on my dongle, not sure if it's working because its UI is a little finicky, and I never tested any gear for this specific frequency range, so while I'd like to believe things sound more open now, I can't just believe that. More testing to do! :nerd: The upper treble strangely didn't bother me, rather the upper mids/presence area and lower treble, that's where e.g. electric guitars sound sometimes a tad bit overdriven.
I also had this issue with LG V60 as a source, but with AK SR25 it doesnt bother me anymore. If I tried to reduce it, it really sounded liveless.

May 8, 2024 at 10:42 AM Post #717 of 738
I also had this issue with LG V60 as a source, but with AK SR25 it doesnt bother me anymore. If I tried to reduce it, it really sounded liveless.
Yup, that's the compromise there. But sometimes it just depends on the day, really. I don't think we know enough about hearing and psychology to consider ourselves blank slates every time we listen.

May 8, 2024 at 10:51 AM Post #719 of 738
Yup, that's the compromise there. But sometimes it just depends on the day, really. I don't think we know enough about hearing and psychology to consider ourselves blank slates every time we listen.
yea, there are lot of times "yesterday it sounded better!!"

May 8, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #720 of 738
OK, it works @Golyatx, just had to put on a random track I listened to a thousand times, thanks a lot, again, it's very nice, clean sounding. Reminds me of the Studio4.
glad to hear !!! its not that engaging, but it sounds really "hifi", and is better for evening listening/low vol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back