ThieAudio Monarch MKII Experience
May 1, 2024 at 3:05 AM Post #1,201 of 1,208
Before you place your order take a look at more portable L&P W4 dongle. Little bit mighty bugger.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lux...w1-w2-usb-dongle-is-here.967875/post-18079778
I did consider it, the W4, from what I hear they are very close, I went with the Mojo 2, new for 410$, the W4 is closer to 500$, this is India, they were selling the hugo 2 for a song a month ago too, but that old stock just ran out, the prices are up there now. Thought I'd get the mojo 2 while the old prices were still available.

Ordered a case too, skipped the ploy for now. Should all be here in three days.

May 1, 2024 at 1:26 PM Post #1,202 of 1,208
I did consider it, the W4, from what I hear they are very close, I went with the Mojo 2, new for 410$, the W4 is closer to 500$, this is India, they were selling the hugo 2 for a song a month ago too, but that old stock just ran out, the prices are up there now. Thought I'd get the mojo 2 while the old prices were still available.

Ordered a case too, skipped the ploy for now. Should all be here in three days.
Thought W4 is like $449. https://shop.musicteck.com/products/luxury-precision-w4-portable-usb-dac-amp-headphone-amp
But either should work, W4 is just so tiny and more of a portable kind, even though I much prefer BT solutions like Fiio BTR7 for on the go.

May 6, 2024 at 12:29 AM Post #1,206 of 1,208
Great to hear!
Get it a good source, a clean one (do not stream from 'noisy' phone). I use a Hiby R3 Pro Saber 2022 but the best is
xDuoo X10T II Turntable Player, which is only transport (https://xduoo.net/product/xduoo-x10t-ii/).
Cheers,
🍻
This is very interesting, I didn't know we had such a category of device available! It's like an un-opinionated transport player.

I just plugged in the optical out of my RME Babyface Pro, I'm not sure how this exactly works, would this essentially make my computer a transport with that audio interface's optical out? The other question I have regarding optical are about the sample rates, using tidal atm but not sure what it's going to do with tracks that are at above 96kHz,, manually switching the mojo goes to red and is silent, as it's 96k.

If a source is 44k and my interface is set to 96k, is there an upsampling going on somewhere, if so where? In audirvana we can control this and adjust some parameters to our liking, but on a system level mismatch I'm not sure where this is happening. It's all a bit murky to me at this point. I need to read up.

edit: I did an A/B test with the optical and not with DSD native and regular CD quality, I found the USB in to be more exciting, my optical cable is ancient and I think the RME ( can do 200khz, though mojo2 cuts out above 96k ) is messing with the data stream. The USB sounds like a different beast with my options.

Since I use my RME for audio production work sometimes, I have eliminated a lot of the ground loop issues etc in the past, so my system is generally quiet, sometimes android studio's emulators go nuts but that's an isolated case. And yes, I had a case of white noise where my m1 mac had a notification about a USB device taking too much power and has been shut down, this has happened before with other devices but it tends to happen once or twice before the device doesn't cause it again. Sounds like a macos thing for flagging and confirming passively this is indeed a user requirement and to just deal with it.

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 5:22 AM Post #1,207 of 1,208
This is very interesting, I didn't know we had such a category of device available! It's like an un-opinionated transport player.

I just plugged in the optical out of my RME Babyface Pro, I'm not sure how this exactly works, would this essentially make my computer a transport with that audio interface's optical out? The other question I have regarding optical are about the sample rates, using tidal atm but not sure what it's going to do with tracks that are at above 96kHz,, manually switching the mojo goes to red and is silent, as it's 96k.

If a source is 44k and my interface is set to 96k, is there an upsampling going on somewhere, if so where? In audirvana we can control this and adjust some parameters to our liking, but on a system level mismatch I'm not sure where this is happening. It's all a bit murky to me at this point. I need to read up.

edit: I did an A/B test with the optical and not with DSD native and regular CD quality, I found the USB in to be more exciting, my optical cable is ancient and I think the RME ( can do 200khz, though mojo2 cuts out above 96k ) is messing with the data stream. The USB sounds like a different beast with my options.

Since I use my RME for audio production work sometimes, I have eliminated a lot of the ground loop issues etc in the past, so my system is generally quiet, sometimes android studio's emulators go nuts but that's an isolated case. And yes, I had a case of white noise where my m1 mac had a notification about a USB device taking too much power and has been shut down, this has happened before with other devices but it tends to happen once or twice before the device doesn't cause it again. Sounds like a macos thing for flagging and confirming passively this is indeed a user requirement and to just deal with it.
I think the RME is better for transport than the comp. In fact I would recommend you to take out the comp from your chain. I know that means quite an investment in sorce.
USB is better than optical if your signal is clean. So no surprise from what I hear.
About upsampling - not too much experience, I try to listen the native signal and do upsampling only with iFi iDSD Pro and 512 sounds always better than 1024.

May 6, 2024 at 5:29 AM Post #1,208 of 1,208
I think the RME is better for transport than the comp. In fact I would recommend you to take out the comp from your chain. I know that means quite an investment in sorce.
USB is better than optical if your signal is clean. So no surprise from what I hear.
About upsampling - not too much experience, I try to listen the native signal and do upsampling only with iFi iDSD Pro and 512 sounds always better than 1024.
I think I'm going to get a poly next. I'll try running of the SD card and see how that works out. It would have the same advantage, except I control it from my phone etc unplugged, and I think it can acces my nas, have to read up more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back