ThieAudio Legacy Series IEMs
Jun 26, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #721 of 1,778
Hi,

I kind of want to conduct an experiment with Legacy 3 users because I found variance between my first set which had channel imbalance and my new set. I bought one with serial ID 317 that had channel mismatch. One had a huge dip after 3K as shown in orange line below. 13dB dip in that range. The other channel didnt but had elevated bass. Then I got a replacement sent that looks like the red line and sounds a lot better, in my opinion. The new serial is 413. When I looked at hawaiibadboy's review graph his looked like the orange graph pretty closely, while if I looked at Crinacle's, it looked closer to the red line -- like my new set.

I tested my L3 pair with those test tones, and the 4KHz tone sounds slightly louder than the 3KHz tones. The 4KHz and 4.5KHz tones sound equally loud to me. I don’t exactly know what this represents.

As an aside, when listening to a high frequency sweep, it subjectively extended well beyond 10KHz without much of an audible drop off for a while, but the the left side dropped off earlier than the right side. I don’t know if that’s due to differences between the two IEMs, or due to my hearing (I haven’t had formal testing in a while.). I really would love to be able to graph my IEMs.

Jun 26, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #722 of 1,778
I may need to exchange mine. I’m still not getting the bass you guys are talking about and has extreme driver flex on the left side when barely touching the shell.

Has anyone dealt with Linsoul regarding exchanges?

You can email their customer service, linsoultech@gmail.com or use their website chat feature. I was able to get mine exchanged pretty hassle-free though I do have a reviewer relationship with them, so I think that did help. That said, this time I was an actual paying customer and went through the normal contact channels.

Okay, I’ve tested my L3s with SpinFit tips, and here’s what I found.

- With the CP100, it sounds quite good. I don’t like it as much as with the Sedna Earfit, but it’s pretty close. The bass and treble are clean. No significant muddiness noted. There is a little bit of resonance/boxiness with some lower pitched vocals, but it’s not much. These ear tips fit on the IEM nozzles perfectly.

- With the CP145, it sounds very good. I actually like these tips (sound wise) about as much as the Sedna Earfit. The treble/upper treble is actually more pronounced than with the CP100 or even the Sedna tips. If you like a lot of treble, and think the L3 treble sounds rolled off, these tips are great. The bass is clean and articulate. No resonance or boxiness noted with vocals. I like the sound of these tips a lot. The two issues for me are that due to the length of both SpinFit tips, they make the IEM stick out further than I like. Its not that big a deal though, and if you get smaller size tips, and insert them a little deeper, it will remedy this issue. Possibly the bigger issue, specifically with the CP145 is that while the tips fit on the L3 nozzles well, they fit a bit loosely, and run the possibility of coming off in your ear, especially with a deeper insertion/tighter fit.

- One other option to consider is that of all of the foam tips I tried, these cheap, generic tips actually work best for me. In general, the wider and shallower the ear tip, the better the sound, b/c the end of the L3 nozzles are the least obstructed with such tips (SpinFits are somehow a bit exempt from this, possibly due to the space for the flex joint?). I take these generic foam tips, and insert them on the nozzles backwards (wide end goes furthest into your ear). I push them onto the nozzle as far as I can, and there is only a very shallow lip remaining that extends beyond the end of the nozzles this way. By placing them backwards, it seals well, but the noise isolation seems a little less, probably due to a decreased length of tight seal within the ear canal.

63F55D77-EAD6-41C1-A43E-D0D16F32EB99.jpeg
https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Eartips-RIYO-Earphone-Headphones/dp/B071NJQ6J3

Hope this information helps.

My preferred tips are the CP145 spinfits but they don't stay on the nozzle of this IEM very well, as you seem to imply. I had them come off while removing the IEM and get stuck in my ear which is annoying.

Jun 26, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #726 of 1,778
I use spinfits from my fh7s. When I use the spinfits made specifically for vocal clarity. It sounds perfect. Tonality is spot on. Female vocals especially sound just right. It also evens the bass out. No wooliness. Bass has nice warm texture. Mids sound linear with a nice touch of warmth. Highs sound crisp with nice sparkle and detail. Soundstage and imaging sound really good. Stage is wide lacking tallness and depth but with v good seperation. I've used final e and also symbios. Neither sound right. L3 are very tip sensitive. You will have to tip roll to get the right vibe from these. The spinfits I use are the only ones that sound really good to my ears. I use switches up. Sounds the most vibrant and punchy to me.

Jun 26, 2020 at 11:45 PM Post #727 of 1,778
adding about 3-5dB to 12-16KHz helps this iem a lot in my opinion. If there was another BA driver to handle upper treble, I'd be overly happy.

Jun 27, 2020 at 1:38 AM Post #728 of 1,778
adding about 3-5dB to 12-16KHz helps this iem a lot in my opinion. If there was another BA driver to handle upper treble, I'd be overly happy.
This song with a bit of tampering with what you said made the soundstage noticeable wider. Thank you for sharing.

Attachments

• Capture+_2020-06-27-01-41-35.png
    Capture+_2020-06-27-01-41-35.png
    280.7 KB · Views: 0
Jun 27, 2020 at 1:59 AM Post #729 of 1,778
you can also use one of the numerous apps on Android. But please make sure you got (approximately) 0 ohm output impedance, so use an external amplifier that gives you what you need. I use the app "Frequency Sound Generator" and I compared my Legacy 3 with the measurement from crinacle. And it is spot on, or with other words: Normal behavior

Jun 27, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #730 of 1,778
Hi,

I kind of want to conduct an experiment with Legacy 3 users because I found variance between my first set which had channel imbalance and my new set. I bought one with serial ID 317 that had channel mismatch. One had a huge dip after 3K as shown in orange line below. 13dB dip in that range. The other channel didnt but had elevated bass. Then I got a replacement sent that looks like the red line and sounds a lot better, in my opinion. The new serial is 413. When I looked at hawaiibadboy's review graph his looked like the orange graph pretty closely, while if I looked at Crinacle's, it looked closer to the red line -- like my new set.

I then asked @Precogvision to perform a test tone listen at 3K and 4K because he didn't like the tuning of his and he said there was a big difference in volume between going from 3K and 4K -- 4K is quieter, which potentially could line up with the orange graph (my old set). His serial ID on the loaner he has is 285. I also asked @Titienne to do this test and his serial is 541 and he did not experience a noticeable volume change between the two test tones.

tried it with my serial 172 (clockworks) and 3K and 4K tones are about the same volume level. The bass doesn't really seem very elevated on my set. It is there when called upon and goes quite deep when needed but it is certainly not like for example TFZ No.3. Depends on the tracks i use. With EDM and hiphop it does give a good rumble and goes quite deep.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #731 of 1,778
Okay, I’ve tested my L3s with SpinFit tips, and here’s what I found.

- With the CP100, it sounds quite good. I don’t like it as much as with the Sedna Earfit, but it’s pretty close. The bass and treble are clean. No significant muddiness noted. There is a little bit of resonance/boxiness with some lower pitched vocals, but it’s not much. These ear tips fit on the IEM nozzles perfectly.

- With the CP145, it sounds very good. I actually like these tips (sound wise) about as much as the Sedna Earfit. The treble/upper treble is actually more pronounced than with the CP100 or even the Sedna tips. If you like a lot of treble, and think the L3 treble sounds rolled off, these tips are great. The bass is clean and articulate. No resonance or boxiness noted with vocals. I like the sound of these tips a lot. The two issues for me are that due to the length of both SpinFit tips, they make the IEM stick out further than I like. Its not that big a deal though, and if you get smaller size tips, and insert them a little deeper, it will remedy this issue. Possibly the bigger issue, specifically with the CP145 is that while the tips fit on the L3 nozzles well, they fit a bit loosely, and run the possibility of coming off in your ear, especially with a deeper insertion/tighter fit.

- One other option to consider is that of all of the foam tips I tried, these cheap, generic tips actually work best for me. In general, the wider and shallower the ear tip, the better the sound, b/c the end of the L3 nozzles are the least obstructed with such tips (SpinFits are somehow a bit exempt from this, possibly due to the space for the flex joint?). I take these generic foam tips, and insert them on the nozzles backwards (wide end goes furthest into your ear). I push them onto the nozzle as far as I can, and there is only a very shallow lip remaining that extends beyond the end of the nozzles this way. By placing them backwards, it seals well, but the noise isolation seems a little less, probably due to a decreased length of tight seal within the ear canal.

63F55D77-EAD6-41C1-A43E-D0D16F32EB99.jpeg
https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Eartips-RIYO-Earphone-Headphones/dp/B071NJQ6J3

Hope this information helps.
Thanks so much, yes this helps a lot

Jun 27, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #732 of 1,778
tried it with my serial 172 (clocksworks) and 3K and 4K tones are about the same volume level. The bass doesn't really seem very elevated on my set. It is there when called upon and goes quite deep when needed but it is certainly not like for example TFZ No.3. Depends on the tracks i use. With EDM and hiphop it does give a good rumble and goes quite deep.

I have 172 too, but Mystique :scream:

Jun 27, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #733 of 1,778
Just wrapped up my review for the L3, and made it public on my site.

https://precogvision.com/?p=2298

Or if you'd prefer to just go through Head-Fi:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/thieaudio-legacy-3.24360/reviews#item-review-23735

Overall, I do like the tuning; it's fairly safe and inoffensive. But I also think that there's a plethora issues with the L3's presentation, namely the large amounts timbre coloration I hear. I don't have the luxury of tip rolling as I have very few tips on-hand and mainly use stock tips; however, I'm sure you could adjust the sound signature to better suit your specific preferences by doing so. In the end, most of its value would probably be predicated on the CIEM iteration (for me). There's very few - if any CIEMs - that clock in at under $200 with a relatively decent tuning.

Jun 27, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #734 of 1,778
tried it with my serial 172 (clocksworks) and 3K and 4K tones are about the same volume level. The bass doesn't really seem very elevated on my set. It is there when called upon and goes quite deep when needed but it is certainly not like for example TFZ No.3. Depends on the tracks i use. With EDM and hiphop it does give a good rumble and goes quite deep.

L3 is in my opinion more track (recording) dependent. In that respect it's more like a studio monitor, and SHINES with a great recording, but is less forgiving with bad recordings or poor quality media.

Jun 27, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #735 of 1,778
Just wrapped up my review for the L3, and made it public on my site.

https://precogvision.com/?p=2298

Or if you'd prefer to just go through Head-Fi:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/thieaudio-legacy-3.24360/reviews#item-review-23735

Overall, I do like the tuning; it's fairly safe and inoffensive. But I also think that there's a plethora issues with the L3's presentation, namely the large amounts timbre coloration I hear. I don't have the luxury of tip rolling as I have very few tips on-hand and mainly use stock tips; however, I'm sure you could adjust the sound signature to better suit your specific preferences by doing so. In the end, most of its value would probably be predicated on the CIEM iteration (for me). There's very few - if any CIEMs - that clock in at under $200 with a relatively decent tuning.
Read your review in its entirety, and have to say the very things you describe are the opposite from my experience with the L3.
You mention 'timbre coloration' more than a few times and I am not sure of your meaning. The two words together are redundant and don't really offer description.
I listened to the track you offered as an example (Talk About Georgia) and would agree that it sounds bad [sorry :wink:] but honestly I think its a poorly recorded and mixed track, the bass IS muddy and centered behind the vocal, but that just tells me the L3 is accurately imaging the recording. I get a totally different listen with other (quality) recordings on the L3.
Maybe there are QC issues and variables between copies, but descriptions such as grainy vocals and muddy bass is the exact opposite of my experience with the L3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back