ThieAudio Legacy Series IEMs
Jun 15, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #586 of 1,778
For me, I am using KZ starlines, universal but custom-like fit. The bass i would describe as, clean, light, punchy. I can feel the slight displacement of air from the DD, not much of a basshead so YMMV.

Jun 15, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #587 of 1,778
Literally 30 seconds in with mushroom shaped foam eartips: the imaging is weird. The instruments sound disconnected from each other. Soundstage is good, wide and tall. Vocals are very clear and pleasant. Mid bass and low mids are polite. I can barely hear guitars! Except higher pitched guitar distortion crunch, which is often lost, so that's a plus.

Interesting sound for sure. Needs more time and tip rolling.

Fat Tips in, guitars are back, bass is fat, a little too boomy.

https://www.earplugstore.com/got-ears-fat-tips-earphone-replacement-tips.html

Weird how tip sensitive these are!

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #588 of 1,778
Literally 30 seconds in with mushroom shaped foam eartips: the imaging is weird. The instruments sound disconnected from each other. Soundstage is good, wide and tall. Vocals are very clear and pleasant. Mid bass and low mids are polite. I can barely hear guitars! Except higher pitched guitar distortion crunch, which is often lost, so that's a plus.

Interesting sound for sure. Needs more time and tip rolling.

Fat Tips in, guitars are back, bass is fat, a little too boomy.

https://www.earplugstore.com/got-ears-fat-tips-earphone-replacement-tips.html

Weird how tip sensitive these are!
They are notoriously tip sensitive, and the general consensus seems to be that wide bore tips sound best. I like AZLA Sedna Earfit tips, but a lot of others really like the JVC Spiral Dots.

Jun 16, 2020 at 5:54 AM Post #591 of 1,778
Hi,

I'm thinking about getting L3 for my first IEM. Would a portable usb dac like a Ibasso DC01 balanced and Shanling UP 4 be suitable? Running it from iPhone.

Thanks for the help!
Yes, either/both of those will do nicely.

Jun 16, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #592 of 1,778
A few pages back, there are some comparisons to the Starfield.

The L3 is quite different from the T4. The T4 tuning lends a lot of clarity to the upper mids and treble. There is also a lot of detail with the T4, but about the same as with the L3. The T4 is a more intense listen, and the upper mids can sound shouty at times. I do like the T4, but the imaging, soundstage, and overall tuning is better on the L3 IMO.
They are very different. In not a fan of the t4. Too bright for me. Lacking bass texture. I'm thinking of selling mine.

Jun 16, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #593 of 1,778
Got my L3 yesterday, and liking it so far! Still tip-rolling and mental burn-in. Perhaps physical burn-in for the DD?
Fit is very good. Comfortable and very sealing. My wife says she can't hear my music at all, even at a moderate volume in a quiet room. I'm noticing I need smaller tips than the ones I needed for other IEMs, especially the blons which needed a size larger than my normal just to stay in my ears! Have liked spiral dots in past, and just ordered a smaller size of earfit lights for L3.
A few issues with using cabling, as I immediately changed out the stock cable with my 4.4 balanced cable for dx160, and there is no way to determine polarity. (Wondering if that is one of the issues others had with no bass or faraway sound?)
The bass is very strong with correct wiring and tip seal. Dx160 with high gain/bal output is almost too much for me. Gotta turn down the volume!
So far enjoying the L3 though!

Jun 16, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #596 of 1,778
Hi guys! Deciding between audiosense t800 and L3. Can anyone compare them? I listened t800 but on crappy headphone output(smsl ad18) and felt like it lacks bass. Dunno if its because of bad source or its just “balanced” bass and i’m addicted to my dynamics(tfz exclusive king). I like technicalities on t800 and not sure about L3 in this case. Do they have ~similar technicalities or they noticeably worse in soundstage, separation, details and clear sound? Would be veeeery grateful if someone can give an advice on those two.

Jun 16, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #597 of 1,778
Hey guys. Just got these in from Amazon. The packaging came without the Thieaudio box or leather pouch. Just came in this plastic box. Does this seem strange to you? Anyone had a similar experience? They sound great. Just wondering if I should try returning for the original packaging. I don't know why the would send new like this.

Attachments

• IMG_20200616_142148871.jpg
    IMG_20200616_142148871.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Jun 16, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #598 of 1,778
You probably confused me for someone else.
I mean I do not hear any difference, but I am very happy with the L3. I meant to say that I cannot explain differences in sound that some have from reversed polarity!

Jun 16, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #600 of 1,778
Hey guys. Just got these in from Amazon. The packaging came without the Thieaudio box or leather pouch. Just came in this plastic box. Does this seem strange to you? Anyone had a similar experience? They sound great. Just wondering if I should try returning for the original packaging. I don't know why the would send new like this.

Your L3's look good. The ThieAudio V3 don't come with a box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back