ThieAudio Legacy Series IEMs
May 22, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #331 of 1,778
I've received my pair today. Initial impressions are exceptionally positive, with a sense of their being able to cover a wide field, genre-wise.

I'll post photos of them beside my Shuoer EJ07's and do a comparison soon. Specifically, I want to give a brief run-through of several songs, with as much variability in style as possible. I'll focus on what each pair pulls out for me or allows me to appreciate most finely.

If anyone has a recommendation for a particular song they'd like to hear compared across these two sets, shoot me a private message. Feel free to indicate exact time stretches from songs.

I use Tidal streaming.

May 22, 2020 at 10:57 PM Post #332 of 1,778
I've received my pair today. Initial impressions are exceptionally positive, with a sense of their being able to cover a wide field, genre-wise.

I'll post photos of them beside my Shuoer EJ07's and do a comparison soon. Specifically, I want to give a brief run-through of several songs, with as much variability in style as possible. I'll focus on what each pair pulls out for me or allows me to appreciate most finely.

If anyone has a recommendation for a particular song they'd like to hear compared across these two sets, shoot me a private message. Feel free to indicate exact time stretches from songs.

I use Tidal streaming.
I look forward to it. I find a comparison to the EJ07 particularly intriguing.

May 23, 2020 at 1:54 AM Post #333 of 1,778
In my opinion it shines for live rock music, rock music in general. Since the mids aren't really punchy it might not be best out there for old school rap/hip hop; buuuuut there are old school rap/hip hop songs that will catch you by surprise. Music from the rapper Future, Migos can have overwhelming bass.

That being said I find myself listening to rock more than ever with these. I usually listen to hip hop/rap. Love live music on these bad boys.

Found my real perfered settings. I don't know if this will help anyone, but I got what I believe to be mids to wake up. This EQ setting on with the vocal settings on the hardware switches. (Vocal switches down on 1 and up on 2.) It added more life to 2pac songs. Haven't tried it with other artist. I apologize for not knowing any technicalities. All I know it's made me admire old school rap more.

Attachments

• Capture+_2020-05-23-01-45-32.png
    Capture+_2020-05-23-01-45-32.png
    194.4 KB · Views: 0
May 23, 2020 at 1:58 AM Post #335 of 1,778

I use Tidal streaming.
Diane Krall Look of love will blow you away. I promise you

May 23, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #337 of 1,778
Just posted my review of the custom Legacy 3. It's pretty incredible what you get for under $200.

Thieaudio Legacy 3_2.jpg
Wow, those look so nice! Thanks for the great review!

May 23, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #338 of 1,778
Diane Krall Look of love will blow you away. I promise you
Yep. Diana Krall ”All Or Nothing At All” is actually my main test track for mid bass bloat. The upright bass, from the start, becomes easily overwhelming on a lot of speakers, HPs, IEMs. I actually discovered a notable rattle on a speaker, that the dealer was unable to replicate with any other music that they tried, even at MUCH louder volumes.

Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #340 of 1,778
Yep. Diana Krall ”All Or Nothing At All” is actually my main test track for mid bass bloat. The upright bass, from the start, becomes easily overwhelming on a lot of speakers, HPs, IEMs. I actually discovered a notable rattle on a speaker, that the dealer was unable to replicate with any other music that they tried, even at MUCH louder volumes.

Sounds perfect to me. What is the frequency that is in a lot of old school hip hop. (Like Scandalous by 2Pac?) I want to make songs like that more punchy. Thank you for opening my eyes to what are mids.

May 23, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #341 of 1,778
Found my real perfered settings. I don't know if this will help anyone, but I got what I believe to be mids to wake up. This EQ setting on with the vocal settings on the hardware switches. (Vocal switches down on 1 and up on 2.) It added more life to 2pac songs. Haven't tried it with other artist. I apologize for not knowing any technicalities. All I know it's made me admire old school rap more.

I think its worth spending more time looking at the DIP switch settings in this thread. Personally I also like the "vocal" setting; down on 1 up on 2.

May 23, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #342 of 1,778
Just posted my review of the custom Legacy 3. It's pretty incredible what you get for under $200.

Nice review. You also seem to like the Starfield; which seems to be a trend when I read reviews of these.

I haven't had ear impressions done for audio in a long time. At one time I had ear molds taken by a division of a Starkey (which is locally based).

Did you make the molds yourself or go to an audiologist? Fortunately standard universal fits seems to work ok for me; but it is tempting to go full CIEM. That can help the sound of any IEM a great deal based on the experience with my custom tips that were for a old pair of Shures.

It amazes me how many great IEMs are on the market at $200 and below.

Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #344 of 1,778
FWIW - Customization Options for The Legacy 3 is live Linsoul !

I really like this faceplate.
C5976312-8DB7-44DE-B89E-DD337CCB7868.jpeg

But I also like just natural wood.
B0F0A0E3-E6CB-4DC9-B543-39CD5467B308.jpeg

Do you think this is just a graphic? I doubt it has actual gears in it, unlike the clockworks design.
68305652-99E8-40FA-BD2E-DDF122E41130.jpeg

May 23, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #345 of 1,778
Any amount of Driver Flex when inserting into your Ear w/ the Custom version?
I have not experienced any driver flex whatsoever. Wish I could say the same about my EE Bravado. =/
Nice review. You also seem to like the Starfield; which seems to be a trend when I read reviews of these.

I haven't had ear impressions done for audio in a long time. At one time I had ear molds taken by a division of a Starkey (which is locally based).

Did you make the molds yourself or go to an audiologist? Fortunately standard universal fits seems to work ok for me; but it is tempting to go full CIEM. That can help the sound of any IEM a great deal based on the experience with my custom tips that were for a old pair of Shures.

It amazes me how many great IEMs are on the market at $200 and below.
I usually get my impressions done at BKK Audio in Bangkok. I love the intense noise isolation of customs which really immerses me in the music. Thieaudio did a stellar job on the fit with my L3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back