ThieAudio Legacy 9
May 5, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #316 of 689
So JQ 8+1V1 = Legacy 9 ? or 8+1v2 = Legacy 9?

If either of them were to be ,The advantage of choosing Legacy 9 is that there's nothing but Woodplate, right?

JQ 8+1 is cheaper.
I've chosen a different faceplate on d-d audio store but that was before the wood was available so I don't know if that option is still there and I'm pretty sure that legacy 9 is the now discontinued jq 8+1 version 1 .

May 5, 2020 at 3:27 AM Post #318 of 689
May 5, 2020 at 5:04 AM Post #320 of 689
I've chosen a different faceplate on d-d audio store but that was before the wood was available so I don't know if that option is still there and I'm pretty sure that legacy 9 is the now discontinued jq 8+1 version 1 .
So, to clear out the confusion. There're 2 active JQ lineups
  • 8+1 [8BA+1DD]. There're many versions of this one: Pro, Elk,... The latest version is Elk (2020) - which is being sold on their Taobao page.
  • Hua Jiang / Ingenuity [2EST+6BA+1DD]. I thought there's only 1 version for this one, but there're actually 2. The latest version is being sold on Taobao and Linsoul.
The old JQ 8+1 has switches and bigger housing. L9 actually looks much closer to the Elk version: smaller housing, no switches, vent on the top,...

May 5, 2020 at 5:20 AM Post #321 of 689
So, to clear out the confusion. There're 2 active JQ lineups
  • 8+1 [8BA+1DD]. There're many versions of this one: Pro, Elk,... The latest version is Elk (2020) - which is being sold on their Taobao page.
  • Hua Jiang / Ingenuity [2EST+6BA+1DD]. I thought there's only 1 version for this one, but there're actually 2. The latest version is being sold on Taobao and Linsoul.
The old JQ 8+1 has switches and bigger housing. L9 actually looks much closer to the Elk version: smaller housing, no switches, vent on the top,...

thank you for that. do you think thieaudio removed switches of the discontinued version 1 for the new wood housing of legacy 9? just the graph looks much more similar probably wrong but that was my first impression

May 5, 2020 at 5:49 AM Post #322 of 689
graph (1).png

Reminds me of this from while back

Last edited:
May 5, 2020 at 5:53 AM Post #323 of 689
thank you for that. do you think thieaudio removed switches of the discontinued version 1 for the new wood housing of legacy 9? just the graph looks much more similar probably wrong but that was my first impression
ErkH shares a graph of the Elk version here too https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-discovery-thread.586909/page-3143#post-15594800. Note that L9 comes with Copper cable and JQ 8+1 comes with Silver one, and also different measuring gears, so of course it may look a bit different.

I don't think ThieAudio removed the switches,... since the housings of L9 & old 8+1 are really different. It'd be super weird if they keep the old JQ 8+1 tuning but new JQ 8+1 (Elk) housing design - why would they do that when people (on Taobao) already reported that the Elk version is better in terms of tuning.

So it may be true that L9 is similar to the newer Elk version - at least on the tuning and housing design. Although saying "ThieAudio takes the JQ 8+1 and rebrand it" is not really accurate too, based on how OEM works in China.

May 5, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #324 of 689
Maybe they have/had the same tuning team, which could be also said about the old Mofasest M14 and the newer Voyager V14. That would also explain (besides the copy paste and rebranding theories).

Last edited:
May 5, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #325 of 689
They could be a rebrand, or they could be like this. Oddly similar tuning, despite being quite different.

CE91111C-8E28-4B47-9F28-CDCECCD7180A.png

May 5, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #326 of 689
They could be a rebrand, or they could be like this. Oddly similar tuning, despite being quite different.

cheers for that tbh how all the re branding and marketing for these chifi iems is something that really interests me. I'm sure that this is a jq of sorts but I'm happy with that because I couldn't of ordered the jq 8+1 even If I tried on the taobao site 😂 as long as I get a great sounding set I'll be chuffed

May 5, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #327 of 689

Interesting comparison, also considering that Crinacle rated them very differently, the Atlas has been at B= while Xelento and A&K T8iE were rated A+ until recently.
I have the T8iE and don't find the bass overwhelming at all with the original tips, they sound really warm-natural with a moderate lift in mid bass, and even a slightly weak sub bass.
Only with Spinfit tips the bass becomes really dominant.

May 6, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #328 of 689
I have the legacy 9 since yesterday (wood version, red and blue color) I have the Fiio FH7 as well.

The legacy 9 have an amazing bass, with pop and EDM shines a lot, but you can enjoy others genres as well, with a lot of detail!... In some days I will write a little review.

P. D. I am new here and I don't know to attach photos

May 6, 2020 at 12:57 AM Post #329 of 689
I have the legacy 9 since yesterday (wood version, red and blue color) I have the Fiio FH7 as well.

The legacy 9 have an amazing bass, with pop and EDM shines a lot, but you can enjoy others genres as well, with a lot of detail!... In some days I will write a little review.

P. D. I am new here and I don't know to attach photos
Hey, welcome! Scroll down to the post section, click on "Attach files" and then select your photos.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back