ThieAudio Legacy 9
Apr 24, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #226 of 689
Not a lot of bass, but it’s solid and deep, with a nice rumble. No smearing of any detail. The most resolving and detailed DD that I’ve heard thus far.
agreed - if these didn't bother my left ear (fit wise) I'd be using these for most listening. They have impressed me more than any other earphone (after I upgraded the cable).

Apr 27, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #227 of 689
Newbie here (who doesn't speak audiophile lingo and thus hesitant to post) so please take my opinions with a grain of salt. I decided to order the L9 as a birthday present for myself. I already own the Fiio FH7, ISN H40, and Etymotic ER4XR. I also pretty much only listen to rock (Pavement, Pixies, Modest Mouse, early Smashing Pumpkins being my ultimate favorites).

Anyhow, I'm really happy with the L9. It is more resolving than the FH7 and H40 without losing the fun and immersive experience of those IEMs. I was contemplating getting the Voyager 14 but decided that I like the bass that dynamic drivers tend to supply so opted for the L9 (plus it is less pricey). The L9 delivers the amount of detail I wanted without being too overwhelming. @SoundJedi's assessment of the L9 is spot on (to my ears) especially the description of bass being on the edge of being too strong but never going over the cliff. I'm looking forward to trying out the L9 with the other cables I own once I get in my order for adapters to convert 2-pin to MMCX.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #228 of 689
Hi @sassimac, would you say then L9 is a solid upgrade over H40?
I have been searching for a more mature version of H40 without breaking the bank and looks like L9 is the one, isn´t it?
Would it be possible for you to take a pic of both H40 and L9 side to side? I hope L9 is the smaller one, and hope it does not protrude as much as H40.
Lastly, how do they compare in the bass department?
TIA, Jose

Apr 27, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #229 of 689
Hi @sassimac, would you say then L9 is a solid upgrade over H40?
I have been searching for a more mature version of H40 without breaking the bank and looks like L9 is the one, isn´t it?
Would it be possible for you to take a pic of both H40 and L9 side to side? I hope L9 is the smaller one, and hope it does not protrude as much as H40.
Lastly, how do they compare in the bass department?
TIA, Jose

The L9 is more refined than the H40 but I am hesitant to say if it is a solid upgrade because I am new to this hobby and don't think that I have the acute hearing and analytical capability of more experienced users here (plus the L9 is almost three times the price of the H40).

As far as size comparison, the L9 is roughly the same size as the H40 (see attached pics; H40 is on the left). Lastly I think the L9 has ever so slightly less bass that sounds a bit less bloated compared to the H40. That being said, I love the H40 and plan on keeping it.

comparison H40 vs L9 #1.jpg
comparison H40 vs L9 #2.jpg
comparison H40 vs L9 #3.jpg
comparison H40 vs L9 #4.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #230 of 689
Hi, fantastic job with the pics!!! I appreciate the effort.
Indeed they are very close in size.
Do you find a significant difference in regards to soundstage and instrument separation?
I am just trying to justify myself the big jump in money expenditure going from H40 to L9
Thanks again, Jose

Apr 27, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #231 of 689
Hi, fantastic job with the pics!!! I appreciate the effort.
Indeed they are very close in size.
Do you find a significant difference in regards to soundstage and instrument separation?
I am just trying to justify myself the big jump in money expenditure going from H40 to L9
Thanks again, Jose

I have the AK Kinboofi 4 Core Pure Copper Silver Plated Gold Mix Cable on the H40 which is a definite upgrade to the stock cable which came with it (the Kinboofi cable gives the H40 a noticeably wider soundstage). So the soundstage on the H40 with the Kinboofi cable seems comparable to the the soundstage of the L9 with the stock cable. Once I get in the 2-pin to MMCX adapters, I should be able to make a proper comparison of the width of the soundstages for both IEMs on the same cables. In regard to instrument separation, I need to listen to both the IEMs again to see what I can discern. Sorry about not being any more helpful. Even though I'm happy with the L9, it might be prudent to wait for more reviews to see if the L9 is worth purchasing.

ETA: The H40 is like a nicely composed picture. The L9 is the same pic with improved focus and greater depth of field...

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #232 of 689
The L9 is more refined than the H40 but I am hesitant to say if it is a solid upgrade because I am new to this hobby and don't think that I have the acute hearing and analytical capability of more experienced users here (plus the L9 is almost three times the price of the H40).

As far as size comparison, the L9 is roughly the same size as the H40 (see attached pics; H40 is on the left). Lastly I think the L9 has ever so slightly less bass that sounds a bit less bloated compared to the H40. That being said, I love the H40 and plan on keeping it.

Less and more refined bass than the H40? That's a good sign.
How does the L9 compare with ER4XR in amount of micro details in the mids and highs?

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020 at 1:04 AM Post #235 of 689
Less and more refined bass than the H40? That's a good sign.
How does the L9 compare with ER4XR in amount of micro details in the mids and highs?

I dusted off my ER4XRs and compared them to the L9 via the Fiio M11. The L9 is on par with the ER4XR in regards to the level of detail in the mids and highs though I think the Etys might have a slight edge over the L9. Vocals on the L9 are more pleasant to my ears. The only issue is that the sub bass on the L9 is really impactful and can be a bit overbearing on some tracks. So if you think the ER4XR is too bassy for your taste then you probably won't like the L9.

Apr 29, 2020 at 1:28 AM Post #236 of 689
Just received my L9, custome made fully transparent panel with simple logo, qdc type 2pin connector with 2.5mm balanced jack. Others accessories inside the case(some how like artificial leather case) 1pair Spinfit CP100 M size and 3pair foam tips. Some photos as below:darthsmile:
IMG_20200429_124556.jpg

IMG_20200429_124636.jpg
IMG_20200429_124756.jpg
IMG_20200429_124714.jpg

IMG_20200429_124918.jpg

I can see 4 tubes inside, every tube inserted tuning filter. 3 crossover. The overall quality is acceptable. My Fearless s8 pro also transparent shell, built quality is better, smoother, and clearer. All BA and crossover placed in better position. Fearless does give very fine handmade craft compared to L9. 5star vs 3star

2.5mm jack cable thickness and quality almost the same with my TFZ Queen (with qdc type 2pin connector). Somehow feel very light. Fearless comes with better quality cable.

Try to burn-in now, the sound should be different after few hour. BA burn-in time should be shorter compare with DD, but my s8pro takes 3 hours😅

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020 at 2:24 AM Post #237 of 689
The overall quality is acceptable. My Fearless s8 pro also transparent shell, built quality is better, smoother, and clearer. All BA and crossover placed in better position. Fearless does give very fine handmade craft compared to L9. 5star vs 3star
Just wondering, how can you tell "All BA and crossover placed in better position"?
Comparing it to Dawn both shell seems pretty smooth and top notched, just not sure how its better (holding both in my hand)

I hope you can enjoy it :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020 at 4:42 AM Post #238 of 689
Just wondering, how can you tell "All BA and crossover placed in better position"?
Comparing it to Dawn both shell seems pretty smooth and top notched, just not sure how its better (holding both in my hand)

I hope you can enjoy it :wink:
That my personal feel :wink:. Fearless fixed 3 crossovers on a circuit board with better wiring placed, same as Fiio FA7(Fiio even fixed in a larger board with printed 'L' and 'R' in the middle which can clearly see). They managed to print 'Fearless' and 'S8Pro' wording on BA, and warp 2 dual large low-end BA to avoid vibration. May be L9 needs to squeeze 8BA and a DD inside, compare the view of Fearless 8 BA placed like a fine Art. Polish inside out, clarity is far better than L9. Instead, the L9 shell has some yellowish. Both downsides are using 2pin, I prefer Fiio FA7 and Audiosense T800 used mmcx connector and best part is both inner fully injected resin everything firmly holds.

The most important part....Sounding. I still waiting for burn in :beerchug::gs1000smile:

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020 at 7:41 AM Post #239 of 689
I dusted off my ER4XRs and compared them to the L9 via the Fiio M11. The L9 is on par with the ER4XR in regards to the level of detail in the mids and highs though I think the Etys might have a slight edge over the L9. Vocals on the L9 are more pleasant to my ears. The only issue is that the sub bass on the L9 is really impactful and can be a bit overbearing on some tracks. So if you think the ER4XR is too bassy for your taste then you probably won't like the L9.
Thank you, my friend. Do you think the impact on rock/metal songs can get in the way of the mids? I imagine the highs on L9 can extend very well, how is the sound stage and instruments separation compared to your others iems?

I'm considering one of 4 iems in between 300-580 (L9, S8f/z and Blessing 2), and I can't decide which without having all the pros and cons of each.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #240 of 689
I'm considering one of 4 iems in between 300-580 (L9, S8f/z and Blessing 2), and I can't decide which without having all the pros and cons of each.

I’m considering the same ones, as a very detailed IEM. I’m also considering the Sony M7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back