ThieAudio Legacy 9
Apr 19, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #181 of 689
If you want less bass, and a little less V-shaped signature, but still want DD bass, the Legacy 3 may be the answer. The bass on the L9 looks nowhere near the amount of bass on the EE Legend X though. It looks much more balanced overall.

15826B3D-3606-43BC-B00A-945132111334.jpegA2551A28-D711-42FE-B41D-7496730AE8CD.jpeg
L9 looks like a perfect candidate for my Q5s hardware bass boost

Apr 19, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #182 of 689
i hope im eating my words and they sound insane!! have any ideas on bass reducing tips ??

I’m sure they will sound incredible, with technical superiority. There are many ways to adjust tuning if need be.

Gross generalizations here, but typically foam tips roll-off treble a bit, and bass sounds more prominent. With silicone, the tighter the seal, the better the bass. If it’s a looser fit, the bass will sound diminished, but it may sound more spacious. Wide bore tips make treble more prominent, whereas narrow bore tips boost bass. Of course, length of core, exact material makeup, stiffness, etc. make a difference as well.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #183 of 689
I’m sure they will sound incredible, with technical superiority. There are many ways to adjust tuning if need be.

Gross generalizations here, but typically foam tips roll-off treble a bit, and bass sounds more prominent. With silicone, the tighter the seal, the better the bass. If it’s a looser fit, the bass will sound diminished, but it may sound more spacious. Wide bore tips make treble more prominent, whereas narrow bore tips boost bass. Of course, length of core, exact material makeup, stiffness, etc. make a difference as well.

that's some great info there cheers will help me make a start fishing through loadsa tips for next few days hahah

Apr 19, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #184 of 689
more then anything I wanted the performance the v14 offers in incredible detail great stage and imaging but with a the impact dynamic drivers have in the bass but still balanced and controlled... as soon as he compared it to the legend x I shut my laptop and cried a bit 😂😂
Yeah! I feel you. I was really expecting that! Since I was looking for a endgame iem and I didn't wanted to spend over 1000 bucks for a totl... Besides that, where I live I don't have a easy way to sell it, since it (L9) costs more then 3 times the minimum wage (people think I'm crazy haha), so I find myself in a really tough situation here, where's the gamble/risk is bigger :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #185 of 689
Yeah! I feel you. I was really expecting that! Since I was looking for a endgame iem and I didn't wanted to spend over 1000 bucks for a totl... Besides that, where I live I don't have a easy way to sell it, since it (L9) costs more then 3 times the minimum wage (people think I'm crazy haha), so I find myself in a really tough situation here, where's the gamble/risk is bigger :sweat_smile:

I understand being nervous about quite a big purchase, but the way I see it, it’s MUCH easier to tone down heavy, but clean and well tuned bass than it is to boost weak bass w/o making it boomy and sloppy. Indeed, this is where tip selection can make a big difference. It seems that the mids and highs are similar to the V14, so it should have plenty of detail. Plus, I think the all wood shells are a true work of art, each one different from any other.

Apr 19, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #186 of 689
I understand being nervous about quite a big purchase, but the way I see it, it’s MUCH easier to tone down heavy, but clean and well tuned bass than it is to boost weak bass w/o making it boomy and sloppy. Indeed, this is where tip selection can make a big difference. It seems that the mids and highs are similar to the V14, so it should have plenty of detail. Plus, I think the all wood shells are a true work of art, each one different from any other.
Yeah, but the question is, what's left there after you tone it down? I was hoping for high technicalities and one guy here told they are less technical then the v14 (which is to be expected) and has big but slow bass, BGGAR told that they have less technicalities and microdetails than the Fearless S8f (that's unexpected). So thinking logically, for me the only thing left to justify it's +550 at the moment would be the wood shells and driver number... But I'm hoping I'm wrong and and this turns out to be a highly technical set.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #187 of 689
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but the question is, what's left there after you tone it down? I was hoping for high technicalities and one guy here told they are less technical then the v14 (which is to be expected) and has big but slow bass, BGGAR told that they have less technicalities and microdetails than the Fearless S8f (that's unexpected). So thinking logically, for me the only thing left to justify it's +550 at the moment would be the wood shells and driver number... But I'm hoping I'm wrong and and this turns out to be a highly technical set.

im with you here especially when s8f was mentioned to be more resolving! and was even more worried as soon as it was compared to legend x before anything else because ive heard em and tbh they sound awful for the price the biggest and deepest notch/scoop I ever heard and so undefined technically .... again all my opinion and appreciate everyone's ears are different and in saying that I'll happily and hopefully be doing a 180 on my opinion when the l9 arrive. if not who am I kidding I'll just get onto the next set in time but just not take as much of a gamble. I ordered so early I don't even have wood ones to look forward too but still my personalised shell I chose from d-d store.

Apr 19, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #188 of 689
im with you here especially when s8f was mentioned to be more resolving! and was even more worried as soon as it was compared to legend x before anything else because ive heard em and tbh they sound awful for the price the biggest and deepest notch/scoop I ever heard and so undefined technically .... again all my opinion and appreciate everyone's ears are different and in saying that I'll happily and hopefully be doing a 180 on my opinion when the l9 arrive. if not who am I kidding I'll just get onto the next set in time but just not take as much of a gamble. I ordered so early I don't even have wood ones to look forward too but still my personalised shell I chose from d-d store.

Yeah! You seem like me who prefer a good balance and details in sound. I am really looking forward for your impressions of the L9. Here where I live this kind of gear is really expensive to get and there are almost to no selling value, so if we get something we're stuck with it (and it better be awesome) .

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #189 of 689
Well, I’m just awaiting more input from the handful of members that already have their L9s, who have been quite quiet as of late.

Apr 19, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #190 of 689
Hopefully there will be more on the way soon, since the Amazon US store has updated expected delivery time from June 29 when I ordered the L9 yesterday to May 8 - June 1 today! :ksc75smile:

Apr 19, 2020 at 11:56 PM Post #192 of 689
yup I'd love to hear a bit more too. @SoundJedi how's yours coming along with a few more days burn in and presume some comparing and tip swapping 😊👊🏼

I don't really believe in iem burn-in. L9 is great, tip and cable rolling is very important with this one in particular IMO. I am going to receive a balanced copper cable soon and I will give more impressions.

My feedback on this iem hasn't really changed: it retains most of the V14 tuning DNA with a stronger emphasis on sub bass (rather than mid bass In V14) and a smoother overall signature. I am not a basshead but I like more bass than neutral. The L9 bass is on the edge of being too strong for me but somehow it stops just short of that and is very enjoyable. It's growing on me, and that's my brain burn-in :).

The bass quantity is heavily impacted by tip choice. I currently use the Sedna Earfit and it makes it great for my ears.

L9 also has very good technicalities and shines in treble too. It has plenty of air, details and energy without ever being harsh or fatiguing.

ThieAudio have done something special in this price range IMO. It's one of the best value for money high-end iems out there at the moment and it holds its own against much more expensive sets I have. And that's before we even talk about the gorgeous wood shells. I have the black resin by choice but that yellow/black color is gorgeous.

More people are starting to receive their units and I hope you guys will get more feedback and varied opinions soon. Any specific questions please feel free to ask and I will respond.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2020 at 1:33 AM Post #193 of 689

The perfect IEM does not exist, at least at these price levels. Each one you try will have its advantages and its weak points. You are saying that you want details and DD bass, and it seems that is what this L9 is going to give, no more and no less. For example the FLC8S has a lot of detail and a DD but its bass is weak, and it seems that in this L9 it is the opposite, it has a strong bass, which as you have been told may be an advantage because it is much easier to reduce it than to increase it if you don't want saturations.

I have an S8F and it is a detail beast, to the point of becoming too intense at times, and I have to reduce its 3.5 kHz peak to continue using them. If this L9 is like the S8F with serious DD and softer details, I think it would be what I am looking for.

Apr 20, 2020 at 6:03 AM Post #194 of 689
The perfect IEM does not exist, at least at these price levels. Each one you try will have its advantages and its weak points. You are saying that you want details and DD bass, and it seems that is what this L9 is going to give, no more and no less. For example the FLC8S has a lot of detail and a DD but its bass is weak, and it seems that in this L9 it is the opposite, it has a strong bass, which as you have been told may be an advantage because it is much easier to reduce it than to increase it if you don't want saturations.

I have an S8F and it is a detail beast, to the point of becoming too intense at times, and I have to reduce its 3.5 kHz peak to continue using them. If this L9 is like the S8F with serious DD and softer details, I think it would be what I am looking for.

Just to be clear - when I say the L9 has slightly lower resolution than V14, it does not mean it's has low resolution. It's on par with my 64 Trio for that, maybe even better on some tracks. V14 is just a very very very detailed iem, it's a detail monster like Anole VX and it throws everything in your face. L9 beats V14 in some areas including sub bass (obviously) and also psycho acoustics, what some people call holographic sound. V14 doesn't have that, L9 does.

If you want the most technical set with great bass, get V14 and boost the sub bass by a few dB (or use the bass switch, but it becomes too boomy for me). I can't personally distinguish V14 bass that much from a DD bass, it's very good.

There's a pretty much new V14 for sale at the moment at a great price. You won't find a better deal.

Apr 20, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #195 of 689

I never claimed I want the perfect iem, I just want one that can deliver a great technical performance and a decent/balanced tuning for the price.

My concern with the L9 is that it doesn't fit my taste and it might be too much bass and highs focus and that it can overshadow the mids sometimes for me. I appreciate more transparent mids and treble with a little bit of subbass to give it weight.

I don't play much with EQ and I don't plan on going into a cable journey to try and make a iem's sound better or how it is supposed to be.

That's why I said now I am waiting for more impressions to see if it's worth for me or not.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back