ThieAudio Legacy 9
Mar 28, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #46 of 689
Wood is an option for L9, there was also a prototype of wood version of V14 which also look pretty sick. You can order the resin version too if you prefer it more than the wood. The picture of black resin version is in linsoul channel if u guys are interested

Mar 28, 2020 at 7:38 AM Post #47 of 689
Wood is an option for L9, there was also a prototype of wood version of V14 which also look pretty sick. You can order the resin version too if you prefer it more than the wood. The picture of black resin version is in linsoul channel if u guys are interested
I'd say that resin is an option for L9, but they are really marketing the all wood shells. Here's a screen grab with the tag line "hand made wood shells". Hey hlee227, can you find a photo of the prototyle V14's in wood? I'm so curious to see them!
I wonder if they make these on a miniature 5 axis router or some other CNC controlled device or by hand? Or both?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 7.33.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 7.33.41 AM.png
    402.4 KB · Views: 0
Mar 28, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #48 of 689
Because wood can't be printed by an additive process like a 3D printer it would need to be carved using a subtractive process. In order to get extremely precise and repeatable results a CNC tool like this could be a good option. In fact, this tool could be used to make IEM shells out of all kinds of materials. So cool. https://pocketnc.com/pages/dental

Mar 28, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #49 of 689
I’m a little confused by this wood housing. The only impressions and graph so far are by HBB and he got the resin shell. We never saw a closeup but I assume there’s tubing for the BAs. Someone on discord posted a prototype photos of the wood v14 and it had a metal mesh instead of the 4 bores. My hope is that the graph of the wood production unit matches the resin sample that HBB got. I jumped blindly on the hype train and ordered one not thinking about it. I hope they keep it straight

Mar 28, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #50 of 689
For L9, they both had metal mesh on wood and resin. Only thing it could be different is that if the DD is not tubed and would there be a resonance within the wood shell. I know it was confirmed that there would be some thin layering in the outer layer as protection, but not sure about inside. XD

Saw u in the discord Mucklechumps, the wood shell was pretty nice

Mar 28, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #51 of 689
For L9, they both had metal mesh on wood and resin. Only thing it could be different is that if the DD is not tubed and would there be a resonance within the wood shell. I know it was confirmed that there would be some thin layering in the outer layer as protection, but not sure about inside. XD

Saw u in the discord Mucklechumps, the wood shell was pretty nice
Yes! Wood shells look cool. I like the green better than the berry color and I'm kind of hoping the spalted maple is natural. I don't want to bombard Lillian but I'll probably ask her. As far as the internals- I tried to see what the nozzle looks like on the BGGAR Youtube review of the L9, but there was never a close up. This could be a $500 gamble for us but with all of the COVID lockdown, I'm happy for the distraction and something to look forward to.

Attachments

• v14_2.jpg
    v14_2.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 0
  • v14_1.jpg
    v14_1.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 0
Mar 28, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #52 of 689
I will attach the black resin one here for reference as well~ do come and leave ur impressions and comparison over there :)

Attachments

• FC849E54-D3B7-4A02-B628-ED5077D20E72.jpeg
    FC849E54-D3B7-4A02-B628-ED5077D20E72.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 48232478-CD00-4DBF-B6E6-77C2FAE98B9D.jpeg
    48232478-CD00-4DBF-B6E6-77C2FAE98B9D.jpeg
    153.2 KB · Views: 0
Mar 28, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #54 of 689
Dang, i want the resin one to be an option.

Mar 28, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #56 of 689
It might be. Here's what it says on the Linsoul L9 product page "Contact us if you want to order with other faceplate or CIEM". They can definitely do a non-wood faceplate and possibly the entire shell out of resin. It may take longer though. Worth asking them :-D

Mar 28, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #57 of 689
Okay, i think i saw a picture of the prototype. Now when i look at the final product, i find them kinda ugly. Honestly, i canceled my order for the legacy 9.
I can see how the look could be polarizing. I'm kind of on the fence about it too. I hope that the wood thing isn't just a gimmick.

Mar 29, 2020 at 1:33 AM Post #59 of 689
nono.... you can just asked them for a resin version, there is no extra cost, only extra cost is CIEM version where they would make it base on ur ear impression.

It does take longer and it would cost 150usd more than the wood version. I'am think about to order a wood version, rub down the clear lacquer with some acetone, paint it black and put some new clear uv-lacquer on it.
Also, after talking to Linsoul, the resin is faster to make than wood. :D So you are wrong there ChrisHeld :wink:
So if anyone wants resin, just shoot them a message before ordering and ask

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #60 of 689
Yes! Wood shells look cool. I like the green better than the berry color and I'm kind of hoping the spalted maple is natural. I don't want to bombard Lillian but I'll probably ask her. As far as the internals- I tried to see what the nozzle looks like on the BGGAR Youtube review of the L9, but there was never a close up. This could be a $500 gamble for us but with all of the COVID lockdown, I'm happy for the distraction and something to look forward to.
That green looks nice, but that purple looks weird with that metal nozzle... Also I wonder if the L9 really comes with that metal nozzle, it looks short, even on the BGGAR video.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back