Thieaudio Hype 4 vs
Jan 1, 2024 at 3:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

h1a8

500+ Head-Fier
I was considering getting the hype 4 but I saw the graphs of the Monarch mk3 and the Xenns top. The hype 4 matches the Monarch mk3 very closely. So I wonder if the Monarch mk3 is slightly better (like 10%) or significantly better. And in what way exactly (only for those who heard both back to back AB).

Also the graph of the xenns top looks attractive. I wonder how the hype 4 compares to it.

I know the hype 4 isn't released (except certain reviewers) but ill take comparisons with the Hype 2 instead (since the graphs are very close and the 4 should be only marginally better than the 2).

Lastly, where would the simgot em6L fit into all of this? Do you recommend them over the hype 2 and why?

Jan 1, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #2 of 20
I was considering getting the hype 4 but I saw the graphs of the Monarch mk3 and the Xenns top. The hype 4 matches the Monarch mk3 very closely. So I wonder if the Monarch mk3 is slightly better (like 10%) or significantly better. And in what way exactly (only for those who heard both back to back AB).

Also the graph of the xenns top looks attractive. I wonder how the hype 4 compares to it.

I know the hype 4 isn't released (except certain reviewers) but ill take comparisons with the Hype 2 instead (since the graphs are very close and the 4 should be only marginally better than the 2).

Lastly, where would the simgot em6L fit into all of this? Do you recommend them over the hype 2 and why?
Hype2 is somewhat similar in tonality and bass with Mk3, but the Mk3 has noticeably better detail and resolution.

EM6L is quite different to Hype2. Pick EM6L if you like a bright and focused midrange. Hype2 is more balanced with stronger bass. Both are within the realm of “neutral” in tonality.

Hype2 and EM6L reviews are in my profile.

Jan 20, 2024 at 2:33 AM Post #3 of 20
i put in a preorder for the hype 4 for the whites but I feel like the treble might not be exciting enough so will look for a used xenns top also then make a decision; my understanding is the bass is more controlled on the hype 4 from reviews and the treble is less offensive

Jan 20, 2024 at 2:46 AM Post #4 of 20
It's missing the EST drivers that the Monarch has, which in my opinion is what gives that thing a lot of it's personality and magic.

That being said, it'll probably be pretty darn close to the Monarch, and people seem to really like it.

Jan 20, 2024 at 2:51 AM Post #5 of 20
It's missing the EST drivers that the Monarch has, which in my opinion is what gives that thing a lot of it's personality and magic.

That being said, it'll probably be pretty darn close to the Monarch, and people seem to really like it.
where should i go if i wanna learn more about the different type of drivers? is there a video or page you liked learning from about this? or does it more depend on the company and i should be looking at the manufacturer sites

Jan 24, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #6 of 20

Thie Audio says the new treble drivers they're using on the Hype series match the EST treble. Monarch just has more detail for way more money.

Jan 25, 2024 at 8:18 AM Post #8 of 20
where should i go if i wanna learn more about the different type of drivers? is there a video or page you liked learning from about this? or does it more depend on the company and i should be looking at the manufacturer sites
Driver specs are provided by Knowles and Sonion for their BAs/ESTs in their tech sheets. If the IEM manufacturer specifies what models are used, you can go take a look if you have the technical know-how.

If you are looking for more layman friendly knowledge on them, plenty of disambiguation is one search away.

Like this.

Jan 25, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #9 of 20
That detail is what I'm referring to, and for me, it makes the MkIII worth it! Completely understand that many people wouldn't, and I genuinely hope the Hype 4 delivers a lot of the same fun!
Also depends on DAP pairings (synergy). Same IEM will sound different on say Sony ZX507 (I own this) which is warm, smooth and not as detailed as say a DX240 (own this too) which is more transparent with more Bass (AMP8-MKIIs).

So much also depends on personal preference. When relaxing on the weekend, the Sony DAP paired with an IEM like my OG MEST (Now sold) takes you into dreamland with that smooth 360 sound.

While the DX240 is better for critical listening where you want to hear everything.

So, I'm saying Hype 4 will give you 85-90% of the MKIII sound on the DX240 vs say the Sony DAP.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2024 at 7:00 AM Post #11 of 20
Anyone heard the xenns Top.? How would the hype 4 compare to them (imaging, detail, resolution, etc)?
Tuning looks the same on FR Graph but I'd bet the ThieAudio will be more musical. I love their tuning style. I even sold my Anole VX due to the beautiful musical sound of ThieAudio's Monarch. HYPE-4 is a Mini Monarch MKIII

Jan 28, 2024 at 8:53 AM Post #12 of 20
No experience with either so take this with heaps of salt.

Hype 4 is going to feature the isobaric DD setup that's getting popular, which in theory will allow a much higher tolerance for EQ in the bass region due to how much less each driver has to work to produce the same levels. DDs have always struggled with inferior THD and impulse response vs BAs in return for better harmonic profile and physical feel, so the isobaric design promises improvements in those weaknesses in addition to more customizability if the operating principles translate from speaker scale to IEM scale.

Last time I was in this budget range, a 1DD 4BA setup (B2D) performed well for the cost, but had slight issues rendering multiple layered instruments distinctly vs sets with 4+ BAs dedicated to midrange alone. These new sonion drivers may fix that somewhat, I can't be sure without trying the new stuff myself.

Just my opinion, I would go for the Hype 4 if I were more concerned with bass playback. If not, the level of precision provided by 6~8 BAs/ESTs handling midrange and treble is impressive vs 4 BAs, at least based on my impression from 1 year ago. YMMV.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back