THIEAUDIO GHOST (Defective upon receipt from Linsoul)
Mar 29, 2023 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

alphaman

Formerly known as headfone
This is my first-ever order from Linsoul. I actually wanted to go with Amazon but they don't carry the Ghost.

Documenting this issue for others considering buying a Ghost -- as there may be QC issues.

Received my package today USPS; package was completely intact and no sign of damage.
Unboxed and noted noting unusual.
Plugged in Ghost and began listening at low volume. Immediately noticed left channel fuzzy and a bit muted.
Listened to test tracks and mono tracks on XLO Test CD -- a good tool for revealing defects and issues.
Something definitely wrong with Left channel (did swap L/R 3.5 mm jacks of the OEM cable and problem remains in L).

I emailed Linsoul about issue. Given the low $$ of the Ghost, I noted that they could just send me one driver which I can install myself. Not sure how they will proceed.

It will cost me $20-30 to send back the whole $120 thing.

If anyone has had dealt with Linsoul, let me know.

Mar 30, 2023 at 3:14 AM Post #2 of 29
A weird and ridiculous back-and-forth from a "Sally" from Linsoul customer service.
I had to take videos of the headphones noting the issue. The mic in my iPhone was able to pick up the fuzzy-sound defect but just barely.
Linsoul wants me return the product and send them a receipt of my shipping costs for reimburse. Who knows.
https://www.linsoul.com/pages/terms-and-conditions
Nowhere on the Linsoul Return page is there an address for returns and none was provided in the email from Sally .And no RMA
So another email to her was just sent about where to send the Ghost.
Linsoul is a JOKE. Extremely unprofessional and incompetent.
SIGH!
A heavy package from USA to Shenzen China is going to be $$$.
And I have to repackage and drive to USPS.
And it has to be there in 7 days .... "or else".

BTW: I did note to Sally:
By the way: Isn't it simpler / cheaper (more convenient) if you just sent me a good (working) 40 mm driver for the Ghost?
Shipping from US is very $$, and Linsoul will have to bear that full cost for my item.
My background is in electronics and I can use a soldering iron to install a replacement driver. Please inform your technical dept. I will respect any decision on their part.

Stay tuned ... and be cautious of Linsoul in the meantime.

Mar 30, 2023 at 8:03 AM Post #3 of 29
Linsoul is a JOKE. Extremely unprofessional and incompetent.
SIGH!

To be honest, this is fairly typical stuff when dealing directly with Chinese OEM's. When I got my Aiyima T10, I immediately noticed a high noise floor on the headphone out. I bought from Amazon, but rather than just returning the unit, I reached out to Aiyima first to discuss the issue. And then I allowed them to suck me into their problem-solving vortex.

The end result was ultimately positive (they sent me a T8 as a free replacement and I kept the T10 - which still works rather well when using RCA output), but not before an irritating series of back-and-forth emails to provide video "proof", to negotiate over shipping costs, to get status updates when they went radio silent for over a week, etc.

Honestly I just think customer service standards and expectations are different. It doesn't even occur to them how these antics are perceived by a typical overseas customer.

Mar 30, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #4 of 29
Let zeros on YouTube know about all this. He loves this ghost headphone. It's a big shame these far away companies don't get there house in order. Expect things like this put people off , missing out on good sales. Thankfully my faulty Fiio m7 was bought from a proper fiio seller and in the UK. Received it back today. No cost to me apart from shopping to London. Took a couple of months but I'm just glad its back. Apart from that , you can't beat Amazon.,

Mar 30, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #5 of 29
I just received a Thieaudio Ghost (my first open back headphone) and the left cup is tilted slightly clockwise compared to the right cup; it still sounds great though it feels a bit weird on my head. Is this normal for the Ghost/open back headphones in general?

Mar 30, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #6 of 29
Still no reply back from Linsoul. I have seven days (Linsoul in Shinzen must receive them back in 7 days) and still no return address or RMA.
I left a few messages on Linsoul Discord and they have been informed of THIS thread as well.
Maybe they don’t care because the majority of their customers, including those that get defective products, never complain.

Mar 31, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #7 of 29
I'm up to 14 back-forth-emails with "Sally" from Linsoul. Poor gal ... I'm sure she's an underpaid Shenzen factory laborer being forced into all sorts of .... ahem ... uncomfortable positions from executive decision makers.
Anyway, after several queries about RMA and return address, I was sent the below message with an attached RMA pdf.

> Sally (Linsoul Audio)
>
> Mar 30, 2023, 15:43 GMT+8
>
> Hi there,
>
> Thank you for your prompt reply.
>
> The reply we received was that we could not confirm it, so we would like to ask you to send it back.
>
> Our address is included in the attachment, please check it.
>
> We are going to start the Return & Replace process for you.
>
> Your RMA number is RMA-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx3. Attached is the RMA document that you MUST fill out and put in your return package.
>
> 1) The item has to be returned first for the Quality Control Team to inspect.
>
> 2) Kindly print out the attached RMA document, fill up the details and include the RMA sheet in the parcel.
>
> 3) Please take a picture of the parcel content before packing and shipment.
>
> 4) Please pack the item in the box it came with, ensuring it is well-protected and properly sealed against shipping damage.
>
> 5) Please arrange the pick-up of the parcel within 5 working days, otherwise, this RMA process will be canceled.
>
> 6) Please send us the tracking number once you shipped it out. (Please note: Fail to do this may cause the item to be lost in the delivery and we will not be responsible for it)
>
> 7) Once the parcel has been picked up, please monitor the tracking link and contact us if there are unforeseen circumstances.
>
> 8) Please also help to declare the value at $30 to help to process the customs clearance.
>
> 9) Our Quality Control Team will send an email update after receiving the parcel.
>
> 10) We will process your case based on our return policy and we kindly suggest you to double-check our policy here to avoid any misunderstanding.
>
> https://www.linsoul.com/pages/terms-and-conditions
>
> If you have any other inquiries, please feel free to let us know.
> Best Regards,
>
> Linsoul Audio
>
> Customer Service Team
>
>
> Support email: support@linsoul.com
> Website: https://www.linsoul.com/
> Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Linsoulaudio/
> Discord: https://discord.gg/5yfHcAu
>
>
>
>
> Attachment(s)
> Linsoul Website RMA Form.pdf
That's a lotta work. And I replied:
SALLY:

Please fwd this message to Linsoul and Thieaudio executives (decision makers) .

I am not returning a $120 item with all the tedious work I have to prepare to ship.
Per your instructions, you (Linsoul) wants me to lie to USPS for Custom Declare value ($30).
That's illegal.
No way!!!
If Linsoul does not not want to send me one replacement driver part (per my 1 year warranty), that is Linsoul's choice.
I will update this thread with how I was treated by Linsoul ...
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/thieaudio-ghost-defective-upon-receipt-from-linsoul.967571/
And the Head-Fi.org community is the world's largest headphone community.
...so the choice is yours.

Regards, [me]

Mar 31, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #8 of 29
I got an i2s cable from aliexpress that wasn't wired properly and didn't work. They made me send a video of the issue. So I had to take a video of a cable plugged in with no sound. Silly. Then they bickered with me for so long about the refund that I just had the credit card company refund me instead.

Mar 31, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #9 of 29
I got an i2s cable from aliexpress that wasn't wired properly and didn't work. They made me send a video of the issue. So I had to take a video of a cable plugged in with no sound ^^ Silly. Then they bickered with me for so long about the refund that I just had the credit card company refund me instead.
^^ and was the customer service rep blind?

Apr 1, 2023 at 5:00 AM Post #10 of 29
Ordered from Ali a few times but not headphones. They've always been as good as eBay.
Maybe I've been lucky.
But ordering from CN or other source outside your country is always risky. I got burned in 2010 by Teclast ( Nationite S:Flo2 DAP) -- they had a run of bad units. I returned and complained. Never got the $150 unit back. They claimed I broke it. Is this how CN companies operate ... like Linsoul ? I am not sending the unit back. They can still send me the driver -- on their own tab, of course . IAC: I'm glad it was only a $140 item. I can't imagine if anyone ordered a $1000 unit from Linsoul -- and it was defective.
Good idea about contacting CC company. I also filed a complaint against Linsoul with PayPal.

Apr 5, 2023 at 1:53 AM Post #11 of 29
It's pretty normal to have to ship defective products back to the place of purchase, but they should cover the shipping costs if it's defective out of the box.

Just going to say I've worked as a reviewer with linsoul for a while and they've always been really helpful and quick to reply, I'm sorry this wasn't the case here.

If I had a product that was faulty out of the box, I would expect to have to send it back for a replacement as standard practice, maybe it's different in the USA.

Apr 5, 2023 at 3:58 AM Post #12 of 29
This is due to a difference of culture. Business over there is cutthroat and people try constantly to exploit rules and policies to get the upper hand, so interpersonal relations end up being a smile with a knife hidden behind your back kind of deal.

We in the western world no doubt have scumbags that do the same thing, but it is such a pervasive problem in eastern regions that it's normal for companies to demand proof and investigate or whatever in a manner that we consider extremely rude and unprofessional. Korea is a bit like this (1st gen here, I see this kind of behavior even in the states. If you aren't family or actual friends, you will get this kind of backstabby behavior very frequently, made me avoid working with other koreans basically ever), but chinese people basically embody this.

Just try to understand that these reps are constantly dealing with unfriendly people attempting to scam the company to get free stuff. It's hard to leave that mindset behind just because the clientele changes.

Apr 5, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #13 of 29
Linsoul made it very difficult from the get go. I had to email them 4x to get a return address and RMA. They wanted videos. And then a 10 step process for return. The weirdness kept building like in the new movie, Inside.
Who knows what will have happened if I sent it back. A $120 item that just needed one driver.
Linsoul doesn’t understand common sense.
I kept the defective Ghost.

Apr 5, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #15 of 29
Well, you have a choice. You can be upset and be out your original money, or, you can spend a few dollars more and send it back and hopefully get a new or repaired unit back along with your return shipping fee. Personally, I'd roll the dice and send it back, as It think the odds are better that you'll get it all taken care of and have a nice set of headphones to enjoy, but that's me.

Stuff happens, and I think it only makes sense to give the company an opportunity to make it right, especially sense they've already agreed to do just that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back