THIEAUDIO ELIXIR UNIVERSAL IN EAR
May 3, 2022 at 5:15 AM Post #16 of 138
Well just the pictures can be confusing. Meaning.....even the Elixir can have a semi-custom shape. If you look closely a big part of how it fits is right after the ear tip.

I mean truly I don’t know yet? But manufacturers now seem to have fabulously got this fit and shape thing down. No more big blocks to go in your ears. Also they probably are way smaller than the picture makes them look.

But I’m with you. I will never forget getting my first semi-custom set with the 2018 qdc V3 Anole. That’s when I realized that shapes were changing and amazingly just the shape could create noise occlusion, sit farther inside your ear and feel great.
I have yet to buy a Thieaudio IEM, but I can't see myself buying this simply because of it's shape. All other Thieaudio IEMs have been semi custom so why make this a different shape? It won't sit well in my ears.

Last edited:
May 7, 2022 at 4:14 AM Post #18 of 138
No Elixir reviews or impressions yet?
I saw a box opening on YouTube. But don’t think it had impressions, it was in Spanish. It seems I’m lagging behind with this being Saturday and no delivery on Sunday, plus there was a huge postal vacation for a holiday when they didn’t work. All that added up to a at least a 5 day delay. So? When ever I get them, thought it would be sooner?

Last edited:
May 9, 2022 at 6:17 AM Post #19 of 138
First Impressions: :scream: "The King of Smooth"

They are very well rounded and tame. Nothing is jumping out. As with DDs it's a waiting game (burn-in) to find out what happens in the bass. So far big soundstage and warm like the PR stuff indicated. What shot out at me was how they did vocals well with the style of signature they are tuned at. Normally this style of signature sacrifices vocals......but not here? If that is the only trick they do I will be "OK" with them........but I have a feeling they might have more in-store! Also this, I'm told is not the final tuning, which I have on the way. So they may do more with the next pair? Retuned pair in route.

More impressions. They have a very smooth relaxing display except vocals are perfect. The perfect style of forward to backwards on the vocals. Timbre and instrument tone is dead on. Nothing screwy or off at all. The imaging is great. It is the kind of signature that has these deep valleys of detail and somehow great resolve? But somehow they pull-off better resolve than they are actually doing? Really it is relaxing? Just like the PR stuff said, that and the old vintage gear is that it has the tune of old good tube equipment. Probably the decay and reverb is what has me spellbound the most. Incredible decay..........the decay is solid gold. But...........really this is the type of sound you fall into. Meaning you don't know what you have till hours pass and you come out the other end with new ideas, due to it being so both relaxed, smooth and detailed.

Truly I don't know why the would change a thing? The midrange is perfect, the bass is perfect, the treble is great? Why re-do the sound? This single tuning is great! Still who knows, maybe they have a surprise in-store?

Last edited:
May 9, 2022 at 7:35 AM Post #20 of 138
Truly I don't know why the would change a thing? The midrange is perfect, the bass is perfect, the treble is great? Why re-do the sound? This single tuning is great! Still who knows, maybe they have a surprise in-store?
Maaaan, you're fast!

I've seen that happen to a bunch of reviewers, Linsoul asked them to unbox but not review for they had changed something on the tuning. Including the spanish unbox you saw, from channel Vivir Digital, probably.

Do you think this last minute change decision is something to worry about? Or maybe it's a quality control thing?

Anyways, thanks for the 1st impressions.

May 9, 2022 at 7:56 AM Post #21 of 138
Maaaan, you're fast!

I've seen that happen to a bunch of reviewers, Linsoul asked them to unbox but not review for they had changed something on the tuning. Including the spanish unbox you saw, from channel Vivir Digital, probably.

Do you think this last minute change decision is something to worry about? Or maybe it's a quality control thing?

Anyways, thanks for the 1st impressions.
Right that was the unboxing I saw. Not a question of something to worry about I don’t think? I mean if the original tuning had issues then yes. Because at times there is a struggle to gold plate something that’s bad, to try and save an IEM, but not here. Here it will be more of a fine tune.......I’m sure of it. It’s surprisingly exactly like the Linsoul description. Haha. They already have exactly what they were going for, I feel.

Really I was questioning the description but that is exactly what it is. The sound is big, smooth and intoxicating. The vocals would normally have danger of sounding 2 feet back, but the vocals are incredible. Who knows what they did on the retune but I’m sure they are being subtle.

They hit their goal with this thing, they now are maybe just fine-tuning it? I really really like it. It’s not even burned-in yet. I hope to see maybe a slight clean-up on the lower mids? Still it’s fine.

If I was going to make a $209.00 IEM, this would be the way I would do it! Just luxurious sounding, relaxed but authoritative yet detailed. They are walking a real fine line here. Just a tad one direction or another and it wouldn’t be what it is. Basically they are exploiting the decay of a DD, but also the cohesive aspects of a DD. The great part is it has none of that screwy pinna gain that often single DDs have. I’m not going to mention names, but you may know of them. That’s the other great part besides the reverbs.

I was thinking this was gong to be just another IEM. Another IEM with the fancy script and THIEAUDIO’s name. But I’m actually surprised at how this does the signature. It’s very involving and deep the way it sucks you in. Then the vocals are still upfront but also contain a super amount of detail?

11220489-6435-4650-94C6-C8C6410B0BB0.jpeg

Last edited:
May 9, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #22 of 138
Right that was the unboxing I saw. Not a question of something to worry about I don’t think? I mean if the original tuning had issues then yes. Because at times there is a struggle to gold plate something that’s bad, to try and save an IEM, but not here. Here it will be more of a fine tune.......I’m sure of it. It’s surprisingly exactly like the Linsoul description. Haha. They already have exactly what they were going for, I feel.

Really I was questioning the description but that is exactly what it is. The sound is big, smooth and intoxicating. The vocals would normally have danger of sounding 2 feet back, but the vocals are incredible. Who knows what they did on the retune but I’m sure they are being subtle.

They hit their goal with this thing, they now are maybe just fine-tuning it? I really really like it. It’s not even burned-in yet. I hope to see maybe a slight clean-up on the lower mids? Still it’s fine.

If I was going to make a $209.00 IEM, this would be the way I would do it! Just luxurious sounding, relaxed but authoritative yet detailed. They are walking a real fine line here. Just a tad one direction or another and it wouldn’t be what it is. Basically they are exploiting the decay of a DD, but also the cohesive aspects of a DD. The great part is it has none of that screwy pinna gain that often single DDs have. I’m not going to mention names, but you may know of them. That’s the other great part besides the reverbs.

I was thinking this was gong to be just another IEM. Another IEM with the fancy script and THIEAUDIO’s name. But I’m actually surprised at how this does the signature. It’s very involving and deep the way it sucks you in. Then the vocals are still upfront but also contain a super amount of detail?

11220489-6435-4650-94C6-C8C6410B0BB0.jpeg
Alright, let's set the stakes really high. How would you compare the details, imaging and stage (general holographic effect) to Sony IER-Z1R and Dunu SA6 in terms of stage, details and treble? Could you compare them please? One thing that I use tests is the latter part of Ripples In The Sand from Dune, there are those... vibrating passes of mid-high frequencies going over the bass, they last like half a second but most earphones can't give them a good texture. On my recent tests (FiiO FD7, FH9, CA Andromeda 2020, UM MEXT, Shuoer S12, EJ07M, Ikko OH10 and Softears Volume) only the Andromeda, S12 and MEXT managed to replicate them with good energy and texture. If you could please compare them to Z1R and SA6, I'd be very grateful <3 So far you're the only person that has them

May 9, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #23 of 138
(...) One thing that I use tests is the latter part of Ripples In The Sand from Dune, there are those... vibrating passes of mid-high frequencies going over the bass, they last like half a second but most earphones can't give them a good texture.
Oh, great suggestion, will add to my IEM test playlist.

(...) So far you're the only person that has them
I'd wager more people have them already but Linsoul is asking them to wait for the final version in order to review, which is why mostly what's posted so far is unboxings. Redcarmoose's are the actual first impressions I've seen posted anywhere.

May 9, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #24 of 138
Alright, let's set the stakes really high. How would you compare the details, imaging and stage (general holographic effect) to Sony IER-Z1R and Dunu SA6 in terms of stage, details and treble? Could you compare them please? One thing that I use tests is the latter part of Ripples In The Sand from Dune, there are those... vibrating passes of mid-high frequencies going over the bass, they last like half a second but most earphones can't give them a good texture. On my recent tests (FiiO FD7, FH9, CA Andromeda 2020, UM MEXT, Shuoer S12, EJ07M, Ikko OH10 and Softears Volume) only the Andromeda, S12 and MEXT managed to replicate them with good energy and texture. If you could please compare them to Z1R and SA6, I'd be very grateful <3 So far you're the only person that has them
Well that’s maybe a little of putting the carriage before the horse here? Also there will be another set soon? So really there is no way that this set would be the one your buying. Also I have literally a few hours of burn-in.

Now burn-in is strange in that the last two planar IEMs needed 50 to 80 hours before they opened up and acquired actual bass. Ripples in the Sand is the new Dune OST right? I can do that tomorrow for you. It’s night here, and that OST is in my other DAP in a safe in another room.

At this point I’m listening to Hans Zimmer “The Dark Night Rises”. I’m going by memory in comparison to the SA6 and IER, but I would say at this point we are way closer to the IER as far as physicality. The lows on the SA6 can’t touch the Elixir for drama and overall staging. The very end of “On Thin Ice” is kinda my test. Also “Gotham’s Reckoning” which has the same super deep and textured bass throughout. With those two songs I was pleasantly surprised that it would not only do the tone but also had placement and full detail?

But really I would wait before coming to any final conclusions at this point. Though “Mind If I Cut In” from the same OST was truly amazing. The bass drop at 2.06 is just perfect and nothing, absolutely nothing like the SA6 could touch. It has an added rise at 2:40 that is totally correct and eloquent. It is just DD bass. Full-on controlled DD bass.

192 kHz - 24 bit Sony WM1Z Direct Source “On” 4.4mm HanSound Zen OCC.

Last edited:
May 9, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #25 of 138
Oh, great suggestion, will add to my IEM test playlist.

I'd wager more people have them already but Linsoul is asking them to wait for the final version in order to review, which is why mostly what's posted so far is unboxings. Redcarmoose's are the actual first impressions I've seen posted anywhere.
Linsoul didn’t tell me to give impressions or not. I missed that memo?

Last edited:
May 9, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #26 of 138
May 9, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #27 of 138
Your reviews always make for good relaxation with a cup of coffee
Thank-you!
This set is maybe a little different than the finished retail version? Though the way it is........it seems a lot of people will be very happy to pay $209 for this level of sound, that’s for sure!

Last edited:
May 9, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #28 of 138
First Impressions: :scream: "The King of Smooth"

They are very well rounded and tame. Nothing is jumping out. As with DDs it's a waiting game (burn-in) to find out what happens in the bass. So far big soundstage and warm like the PR stuff indicated. What shot out at me was how they did vocals well with the style of signature they are tuned at. Normally this style of signature sacrifices vocals......but not here? If that is the only trick they do I will be "OK" with them........but I have a feeling they might have more in-store! Also this, I'm told is not the final tuning, which I have on the way. So they may do more with the next pair? Retuned pair in route.

More impressions. They have a very smooth relaxing display except vocals are perfect. The perfect style of forward to backwards on the vocals. Timbre and instrument tone is dead on. Nothing screwy or off at all. The imaging is great. It is the kind of signature that has these deep valleys of detail and somehow great resolve? But somehow they pull-off better resolve than they are actually doing? Really it is relaxing? Just like the PR stuff said, that and the old vintage gear is that it has the tune of old good tube equipment. Probably the decay and reverb is what has me spellbound the most. Incredible decay..........the decay is solid gold. But...........really this is the type of sound you fall into. Meaning you don't know what you have till hours pass and you come out the other end with new ideas, due to it being so both relaxed, smooth and detailed.

I don't see how this tuning would sacrifice vocals (just based on the FR graph). If anything, it should really bring out female vocals and still be great with male vocals thanks to the small amount of added warmth.

May 9, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #29 of 138
I don't see how this tuning would sacrifice vocals (just based on the FR graph). If anything, it should really bring out female vocals and still be great with male vocals thanks to the small amount of added warmth.

I give only IEMs only a quick passing glance at their graphs, or not at all. Reason being is if I study the graph too much it affects how I hear an IEM. So I really only dive into graphs after my review is written. There is no real reason for me to see a graph, beforehand. If someone knows what the reason is I’d love to hear it.

If I was a rock thrower, probably the only nitpick I have has to do with issues with what sounds like the upper-midrange. And it’s actually common with full-range single DDs. There is a slight congestion where frequencies/clarity get jumbled-up. Not all the time and only rarely, but that’s what I hear with this prototype model. Every once in a while it’s given too much to chew-on. And again this may in a way not be a total criticism? I have just come from listening to a (9X $) all BA set that doesn’t have this issue, but other issues (that the Elixir doesn’t have).......still it never gets jumbled-up in that region. Then again, much of the Elixir presentation is so fantastic, especially how the bass soundstage is. Most of the time it’s hitting way above it’s humble price point. Of course maybe burn-in could fix this one little thing? To tell you the truth, I’m actually tired of listening to IEMs before burn-in, really there is almost no sense to it. I mean yes, it’s fun to get some clues to the final sound, but then again it is not the final sound and often times these little hiccups get ironed-out.

Last edited:
May 9, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #30 of 138
I give only IEMs only a quick passing glance at their graphs, or not at all. Reason being is if I study the graph too much it affects how I hear an IEM. So I really only dive into graphs after my review is written. There is no real reason for me to see a graph, beforehand. If someone knows what the reason is I’d love to hear it.

If I was a rock thrower, probably the only nitpick I have has to do with issues with what sounds like the upper-midrange. And it’s actually common with full-range single DDs. There is a slight congestion where frequencies/clarity get jumbled-up. Not all the time and only rarely, but that’s what I hear with this prototype model. Every once in a while it’s given too much to chew-on. And again this may in a way not be a total criticism? I have just come from listening to a (9X $) all BA set that doesn’t have this issue, but other issues (that the Elixir doesn’t have).......still it never gets jumbled-up in that region. Then again, much of the Elixir presentation is so fantastic, especially how the bass soundstage is. Most of the time it’s hitting way above it’s humble price point. Of course maybe burn-in could fix this one little thing? To tell you the truth, I’m actually tired of listening to IEMs before burn-in, really there is almost no sense to it. I mean yes, it’s fun to get some clues to the final sound, but then again it is not the final sound and often times these little hiccups get ironed-out.
I am very happy to read everything u wrote that's matches my aspirations cz i just blindly ordered it 5days ago on DD audio store (linsoul AliExpress). I saw the graph in a spanish youtuber channel i said to my self that's fantastic it's so close in tuning to my t3 plus but less bass that i find a bit too much. Then less uper mids lower treble so more boodied mids + no more 5k to 10k peaks that can provoke sibilance and metallic timber as they claim on linsoul description they are putting it in category with monarch mk2 and v16 and all that claims of analog resolution. I said can't wait for reviews. For me the best dd tuning solutions out there are carbon nanotube "for me that benefits midrange both in tonality(graph)/technicalitys" then beryllium-coated "for bass". Elixir combined both are u kidding me + 3d multi layered on top of each other how can this thing be 200$. Then i sow the accessories wow those Chinese brains are focusing on the real deal no fancy stupid box that i will throw anyway all that to lower the price. i'm perfectly happy with the included accessories great cable eartips looks perfect for me and the shell omg the shell vintage look with the best possible nozzle position for my ears (almost vertical). If a company can tune a DD and get a great result "thieaudio" is a king on his thrown. Not mixing some dd and ba. DD tuning is the hardest thing

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back