These RE2s sound awful! Will they improve with burn-in? EDIT: Turns out I was wearing them wrong
Nov 8, 2010 at 9:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Oggranak

1000+ Head-Fier
EDIT:
Quote:
Oggranak said:

Alright, I'm going to edit the opening post, because it turns out I'm an idiot. I wasn't pushing the bi-flanges in deep enough. Also, strangely, even before I figured out the whole seal issue, they magically got better overnight while not being used. Yesterday they were producing this one tone that was REALLY annoying (it happened after certain drum hits and the like and sometimes at the start of a song, and was really noticeable on In Rainbows, especially in the intro to 15 Step), and today that was gone. So overall I'd say I'm MUCH more satisfied with them today.
biggrin.gif

Granted, when they're in fully, the headphones maintain a bit of that tinny signature but it's not nearly as bad, in fact I'd say they're pretty decent all-around for the mere 40 CAD I paid for them.

Original post:

Normally I don't really believe in burn-in but I'm just praying that it exists because these RE2s are just simply not acceptable in their out-of-the-box state. I bought them for a friend and am trying them, and out of the box they sounded tinny and awful. I've done some light software EQing (at this price point, taking out obtrusive peaks matters more to me than audio 'purity') to tone down the really awful peak around 1kHz but it still sounds pretty unnatural. I'm using the bi-flanges.

Somebody, anybody... please tell me that these get better with time.
frown.gif

Nov 8, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #2 of 4

Quote:
Normally I don't really believe in burn-in but I'm just praying that it exists because these RE2s are just simply not acceptable in their out-of-the-box state. I bought them for a friend and am trying them, and out of the box they sounded tinny and awful. I've done some light software EQing (at this price point, taking out obtrusive peaks matters more to me than audio 'purity') to tone down the really awful peak around 1kHz but it still sounds pretty unnatural. I'm using the bi-flanges.

Somebody, anybody... please tell me that these get better with time.
frown.gif

No, they don't get better. You made a bad choice and you will suffer for it for the rest of eternity.XD

Seriously though, what did you pay for them? And are you using the small bi-flanges or the large ones? (Generally I find the small white and also the translucent small biflanges from Head Direct manage to eliminate all bass.)

Burn in might be a factor but I doubt they are going to make you change from hating them to loving them. You might have a seal issue though...

Nov 9, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #4 of 4
Alright, I'm going to edit the opening post, because it turns out I'm an idiot. I wasn't pushing the bi-flanges in deep enough. Also, strangely, even before I figured out the whole seal issue, they magically got better overnight while not being used. Yesterday they were producing this one tone that was REALLY annoying (it happened after certain drum hits and the like and sometimes at the start of a song, and was really noticeable on In Rainbows, especially in the intro to 15 Step), and today that was gone. So overall I'd say I'm MUCH more satisfied with them today.
biggrin.gif

Granted, when they're in fully, the headphones maintain a bit of that tinny signature but it's not nearly as bad, in fact I'd say they're pretty decent all-around for the mere 40 CAD I paid for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back