Thermaltake Isurus Review, and Comparison to the GR07
Dec 29, 2011 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Build and Comfort: 

The Isurus is built very well. It's almost funny how much on an improvement the cable is over the MP 8320. It's sturdy, and thick enough without being as unwieldy as the Shure cables. It's a very ergonomic fit, and I find them more comfy than the monoprice. Then again, I never really had comfort issues with the 8320.

Sound:

I just want to say off the bat, get rid of the stock tips. When I first listened to the Isurus, I thought they were a trebly mess. I knew the Nutman said they needed burn-in to sound their best...but damn. I opened my tip drawer and tried out the Meelec M6's double flange tips. Amazing. Bass and mids came forward, and the treble showed some restraint. Make no mistake, they're still a bit on the bright side, but it's nowhere near as bad as it is with the stock tips. 

The Isurus is very well detailed and vocals sound fantastic, especially female vocals (justin beiber). I tried some of my favorite songs from various genres, and the Isurus excelled on all of them. As I said, it's a bit treble happy, but it doesn't lack mids and it sure has some good bass. When I listened to "The Way I Am" by Ingrid Michaelson, the Isurus made her voice positively shimmer, and I could hear the drummer in the background slightly rub the skin of the drums. I tested "Papageno" from Mozart's "Magic Flute" opera, and it just sounded fantastic. I then listened to James Morrison's "You Make it Real" and I could hear each individual string being strummed.

The sound stage of the Isurus is just above average in width and depth. It's nothing remarkable really, but still good. It makes the 8320 just sound congested in comparison, both in sound quality and sound stage. 

Value:

Ridiculous. Dsnuts has done it again. In a blind test, I would have thought these were worth 5 times their price. Whether or not they're really CKM99 rebrands, they sound darn good. I wish I could give you a big man-bear hug for your work, but I guess thanks will have to do.

Remember! Try different tips!

with the Meelec M6 tips

Part 2

Notes: 

I'm using Jays large silicone tips on the GR07, and the large stock GR07 tips on the Isurus. All playback is done through foobar2000 v1.1.10, with the bitrate of each song beside the title. I didn't use any EQ, and I A/B'ed each phone within 3 seconds of hearing the other.

Comparison:

1) Attaboy - YoYo Ma (Apple Lossless)

GR07: Magical. I almost forgot how amazing the timbre of the GR07 is. Violins and cello sound like you're being kissed by 
a wood fairy. This is probably due to the slight mid-forward presentation/warmth of the GR07, and its biocellulose diapraghm. 

Isurus: It holds its own on this song, but just no match for the sweet, sweet timbre of the GR07. Attack and decay and imaging are great, but I just felt like there was something
missing from the overall sound vs the GR07

Monoprice 8320: Against the Isurus and GR07? LOL

2) One and Only - Adele (MP3 256)

Isurus: Slightly dry vocals. The treble commands a fair bit of attention and shares the stage with Adele
Sounds very good though.

GR07: Again, fantastic. Adele's emotions shine through her voice. The vocals take center stage and 
the instruments serve as backup. The GR07 reminds me why its the king of drums, and the cymbal crashes
are nothing short of superb.

MP 8320: I'm just not going to bother...

3) Underground Kings - Drake (MP3 320)

GR07: Great bass and plenty of sub bass rumble. The synthesized sounds (I don't know what they're called)
are fast. I can hear every note played. Mids are fleshed out and sound about right.

Isurus: The Isurus has an airier sound due to the dry mids. Treble is emphasized. It has about the 
same amount of mid-bass and slightly less sub bass rumble. It keeps up with the GR07 speed-wise.

4) Crazy - Gnarls Barkley (MP3 320)

Isurus: Bass is very present, but not overpowering. Dry vocals. Soundstage is very nice, just about the same as GR07 +/- a few inches

GR07: Same thoughts about bass, it's in line with the song. Vocals are noticably more lush sounding, and I can hear the background singers better (in a good way)

5) I Want You - Kings of Leon (MP3 320)

Isurus: Bass is deep and impactful, and the treble is extended and prominent. The high hat sounds good and hass plenty of shimmer.
You can hear each strums of the bass guitar, and the texture is nice. The snare is good, but not perfect. Overall, good.

GR07: The bass reaches deeper than that of the Isurus, and hits harder. The mids feel more fleshed out and intimate, which adds to the overall sound experience. Guitars are more forward and textured. The high hat and snares sound just right (I play the drums). The GR07 just sounds better.

6) Lonely Boy - The Black Keys (MP3 320)

Isurus: I'm getting lazy. The guitars have very good crunch, and the Isurus does a good job of conveying the garage band sound.
Something about the drums just sounds a little off though.

GR07: The GR07 says to the Isurus "anything you can do I can do better!" The guitars are as crunchy as Raisin Bran Crunch! With it's more fleshed out mids, the GR07 gives the song a grander sound. When the chorus comes around,everything blends together magically, while retaining the superb instrument separation. Again, all hail the king of drums.

Comfort: The Isurus is by no means uncomfortable. But the GR07 simply vanishes in your ear!

Conclusion.

I think you'll have gathered by now that I really prefer the GR07. However, remember than it costs almost 6 times as much as the Isurus. I like the GR07 more because of its more forward mids and amazing, textured sound.
If you find that you like a drier sound with more pronounced treble, I think the Isurus will suit your needs for a heck of a low price. Thanks for reading!

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #2 of 4
Eke, Thanks for the review.

If you give the Isurus a blind tasting, and I say you the have cost $ 100, would you say, no way, cost a lot less! ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back