Thermal imaging cameras
Jun 15, 2005 at 7:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

eric343

Member of the Trade: Audiogeek: The "E" in META42
So I've decided I need a thermal imaging camera. No particular reason, they're just cool
smily_headphones1.gif

Any experiences with the Hughes Probeye analog imager, or ideas where I can find the Raytheon/Cadillac camera for cheap (<$1k)?

I'm going to try some junkyards tomorrow, but given that the Cadillac is mounted in the front grille, I suspect it's the first thing to go in an accident.

Jun 15, 2005 at 3:14 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf
eric, if you are doing surveillance work, a sensitive black & white video camera with matching IR illuminator will perform better.

Suddenly three hundred miles is not enough distance between me and Eric...
Still, I wish I could remember the camera that we saw being used at UIUC, research labs usually purchase everything with a cost effective attitude.

Jun 15, 2005 at 5:05 PM Post #4 of 8
Not for surveillance work. Just the cool factor... and because these toys have more uses than a swiss army knife.

Besides, I already have several sensitive chip cameras and a gen1 night vision scope.
biggrin.gif

Jun 15, 2005 at 9:10 PM Post #5 of 8
Never seen one in a car but i know the fire department has two of them. ive played with them a few time, their very cool. the ones we have have a warm-up time though, like 2 min so yours may aswell. their very fun to play with though
icon10.gif

Jun 16, 2005 at 8:39 AM Post #6 of 8
Ah, thermal imaging! If only a cost effective version of this were availble to average shmo's like me, then I could play my version of full contact paintball, MGS style. OMG, nothing could be funner than that...
biggrin.gif
Abe

Jun 16, 2005 at 12:26 PM Post #8 of 8
I'd say check some military/law enforcement catalogs. We get one (which I can't remember the name of - I'll check at home) that has tons of stuff in it. Personal defense, lock picking, survelliance (including some of rather dubious legal use - telephone taps? Really, now...
very_evil_smiley.gif
, and the like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back